ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Frequency of seeing Gila Monsters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
TalusMonkey

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 11:37 am    Post subject: Frequency of seeing Gila Monsters Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, how frequently do you Arizona hikers run across Gila Monsters in the wild? I know their range is "southern Arizona," but what areas does that include? Have any of you seen Gila Monsters in the Superstitions? As far north as the Mazatzals?

Thanks! I'm all excited about Arizona's climate, geography and ecosystems. I wanna see a Gila Monster! (not hanging onto me while chomped into me, though)
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I lived here all my life (57 yrs as indicated below the avatar) and good deal of that has been spent out in the desert. I've seen them a half dozen times in the wild.
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done a lot of miles in 9 years and only saw 2. One near Picket Post and one on the Terrapin trail in the supes.

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have yet to see one in my six years here. Of course I don't hike as often as many of AZH'ers, but I've seen numerous snakes; rattler, king and bullhead so have to assume I've been close to Gila Monsters on some of my hikes, just haven't seen them.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Cholla

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In a little over 8 years here I have only seen one Gila monster on the trail. The same with tortoises, only opne in the wild so far. Plenty of snakes and they will be coming out soon. I saw a little bull snake in my front yard a few days ago catching a few rays.
CannondaleKid

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I lived here 4 years before seeing either a gila monster or a tortoise. But while mountain biking at Usery Park last June, within two weeks and only 100 feet of each other on the Blevins Trail, I got my chance.

I have a number of pictures of both on my web site:
Tortoise pics at:
http://www.changephoenix.com/Usery2006-06-04.html
Gila Monster pics at:
http://www.changephoenix.com/Usery2006-Summer.html

Can't wait to add to my rattler pics again this year.
wrongway

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've seen one Gila Monster. It was early in April (a few years ago) about 9a on the Bluff Springs Trail in the Superstitions. I came up over a rise and it was sunning on the trail. It crawled off as fast as it could and hid under a rock.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

2 in 15 years. One north of Alamo Lake about 13 years ago, and one South of JF ranch in the Supes last spring.
TalusMonkey

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. Really interesting info and experiences. Sounds like these Gila Monsters are elusive, if you can hike for years without seeing one.

I'm doubtful that I'll stumble on one during my occassional hiking visits, but I'll keep my eyes open, just in case. If I have to, I suppose I could just move down there and hike for a few years...
fritzski

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Part of the problem is I believe they are inactive for a large part of the year, especially the cooler months when hiking is most popular. I once saw three on one hike up the Peralta trail on a monsoony August afternoon. Only one time ever other than that.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

TalusMonkey wrote:
Sounds like these Gila Monsters are elusive, if you can hike for years without seeing one.

The are diurnal - they hunt in the morning and evening - and they spend 95% of their time in their burrows. They can get their entire annual energy requirement from three or four successful feedings. They store fat in their tail.

They breed from April to June so that is when you are most likely to see them. They have excellent vision and sense of smell. When you know what to look for, you can often find their burrows just above riparian washes. But they will go deep into the burrow and you won't find them.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Part of the problem is I believe they are inactive for a large part of the year, especially the cooler months when hiking is most popular. I once saw three on one hike up the Peralta trail on a monsoony August afternoon. Only one time ever other than that.

Holy cow Exclamation It is Fritzski, the one that inspired all my craziness. Good to see you.
Are you hiking any or still into the rock climbing? I like the avatar on Weavers Needle.

In all my ramblings I have seen 4, one in Aravapai on a trip with Cactuscat and all the others in the Supes. There is a mummified one about three foot long, down in a hole that Jaimi showed me, but mummies don't count.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've only seen two in 3 years. One was on the Terrapin Trail in the Supes in March of 2004 at 7:45 AM near some standing water just past the Bluff Spring intersection. The second one was also in the Supes in Boulder Basin in April 2006, also near standing water near the Bull Pass intersection in the early morning.

Both hissed at me but moved off when I posed no threat or made no movement toward them.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
IGO

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw one when I was a kid. Sorry.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 3/7/2007, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cholla wrote:
In a little over 8 years here I have only seen one Gila monster on the trail. The same with tortoises, only opne in the wild so far. Plenty of snakes and they will be coming out soon. I saw a little bull snake in my front yard a few days ago catching a few rays.

Cholla, tortoises are all over up here. Come on up some time.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: