ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I love snow shoeing!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 6:47 pm    Post subject: I love snow shoeing! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let me just say that if you have never tried this activity, you really should! I had such a great time! The only reason why we turned around and headed back when we did was 'cause I was gettin a hot spot on my heel and I have to run in an 8K next week and can't afford to have a blister. I could have played all day! It was so awesome!

Poor Tracy was to go with us this weekend and instead spent the day sick at home.... Ted and I were just going to postpone but decided to go any way. So we drove up to Snow Bowl and strapped on the snow shoes. As we crossed the runs heading toward the trail the snow started coming down. It was wonderful! At first it was sleet then the snow flakes showed up as we entered the forested area. It was so beautiful!

We stayed on the trail most of the way up... only went a little ways before I could tell I was having some trouble with my heel so we turned around and headed back. We headed off trail on the way back so we could play in the really deep snow but Jerome kept getting stuck so Ted stayed on the trail with Jerome and I took off cross country. I kept Ted and Jerome in sight so I knew I wasn't getting lost . It was so much fun to "float" across the top of the huge snow drifts! From time to time I would sink in or trip over my snow shoe. I fell once or twice and laughed... looked like an idiot as I was all by myself but I was having a great time! Once back down at the end of the trail Jerome and Ted joined me in the deep part again for a while and we walked into the Aspens and around for a little while but eventually Jerome was getting stuck again so we decided to head back to the truck.

Once back to the truck we unloaded packs and snow shoes and got in and headed to the "Beaver Street Brewery" Right Ted? What an awesome place! I propose that this years pre WFW dinner be eaten there!!! It is a wonderful place and the food is so yummy and it is a micro brewery so all you beer drinkers can have new yummy beer! I love this place! The vegetarian pizza is amazing!

Any way, of course on the way home we got stuck in the ever present Sunday afternoon traffic jam but it was well worth the hassle to have such a fun day! I am so sorry Tracy couldn't have joined us. I know you are gonna love it Tracy! Now I can't wait to try some cross country skiing!!!!

Ted has pictures! My camera wouldn't work this morning..... I have to get it out again and pray I can figure out what is wrong with it!

I want to shine!
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm heading down to Safford in the morning to get in some snow shoeing with my brother on Mt. Graham. It should drop some fresh snow on us so I'm really looking forward to it. It is a blast. The pizza at Beaver Street Brewery is excellent. The fondue there is good too and I've never met an ale there I didn't like.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Beaver Street Brewery Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beaver Street Brewery is a great place. I've stopped there numerous times on my way to the Canyon. Fantastic pizzas and chocolate bread pudding.

GTG
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So if every one knows about this place why do we always go to Bun Huggers???!!! This place is really good!

I want to shine!
GTG

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
So if every one knows about this place why do we always go to Bun Huggers???!!! This place is really good!

That's a great question. Per usual, food robs the direction of a great hiking thread.

GTG
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry I missed all the fun, (but I really appreciated the call on your way home to rub it in!! Rolling Eyes )

Next time for sure! Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
GTG

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
Sorry I missed all the fun, (but I really appreciated the call on your way home to rub it in!! Rolling Eyes )

Next time for sure! Ok

paintinaz, I'd be really pisssed if she tells you she had the chocolate bread pudding.

GTG
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Didn't know about the chocolate bread pudding! I will have to have some next time I go! Beaver Street Brewery is now my new favorite place to eat in Flag!

I want to shine!
Suz

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh, I'm glad you had fun. Gotta get you on the REAL ski slopes!

FYI---they tell me if you remove the camera batteries and stick them in a "warm" place the camera will be fine. Wink
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They were in a "warm " place Suz. They were in my house.... I found the camera didn't work before I even left!

I want to shine!
Suz

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hmmmmmmm, well ...............try it anyway.......... Rolling Eyes
DesertDog

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Put some pics up in the Gallery. Sorry about all the dog pics- I'm compulsive. On the bright side, I only put up about 10% of them Amazed .

Too bad paintninaz couldn't make it. I'm sure she'd have loved the refreshing breeze while briskly strolling up the hill. Razz Feel better, Tracy Smile

Thanks for accompanying Jerome and me, Diane! Hope we can do it again sometime soon (with healthy co-hikers).
paintninaz

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures Ted, I almost feel like I was there....'cept warmer! Wink

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/11/2007, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow -- Thanks for the pictures. I think Jerome is in his elements for sure... Is Daine getting cold hardened now ? hey Tracy hope you are feeling better ...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/12/2007, 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Loved your photos! I just got some snowshoes myself, haven't had time to use them!
Your camera may have just been cold--hope that's all it is. When I'm xc skiing I keep mine in an inner pocket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: