ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Hike “Stairway to Heaven” Hawaii
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
markv

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry, i should have replied to this long ago, but i just noticed it. I've lived in Hawaii for awhile, and this year i'm half living there and half living in Tucson. Feel free to email me for any specific Hawaii hiking questions: markvotapek "at" netscape "dot" net

The Haiku steps (stairway to heaven) are still unfortunately closed. It is patrolled, and people DO get fined. I wouldn't risk it. There are other similarly exciting hikes on Oahu that you can do without getting fined. You can peruse some options at backyardoahu.com.

On Maui, i had a great experience hiking from sea to the summit of Haleakala, but that's a big 20 mile 10,000' climb that i wouldn't necessarily do if i were a visitor. The trip to Hana is great, especially if you get the "Blue book" for the island. I wish i remembered the name of it, but these guys publish gold-standard guide books for all the islands, and i think (oh hell i'll just check now) it's wizardpub.com that will tell you about them. I don't agree with their restaurant reviews at all, but their off the beaten path walks and hikes are tops. Take 2 days for sure to go to Hana, and on the 2nd day complete the loop instead of doubling back the way you came. The road is fine. It's treacherous nature is ridiculously overstated. And the one bridge that was closed from the earthquake has been reinforced and reopened. The "back side" of the Hana highway is as great as the traditional route. My first choice for where to stay on the overnight would be Waianapanapa State Park, but get reservations. It's a black sand beach and volcanic park.

Be careful hiking in Hawaii...footing is crumbly, and there are too many falling accidents.
markv

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well shoot...i just typed a long reply and it disappeared.

Anyway, i've lived in Hawaii for awhile and hike a lot th ere.....email me for specific questions. markvotapek "at" netscape "dot" net

Stairway to heaven is still closed...and they patrol it and fine people.

Hana takes 2 days, and you should complete the loop, instead of doubling back. the coolest overnight place is Waianapanapa state park, cabins and tenting. Must make reservations though.

Get a guidebook from wizardpub.com They are far and away the best guidebook for sights and hikes.

aloha!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/17/2007, 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your reply didn't disappear, it is right there on the previous page!

Which island did you live on? I lived on the Big Island, in Ka'u and in Kona for 8 years, mostly out in the boonies, off the grid, 1978-86. Then moved to Tucson, just like you! Then after 13 years of big city life, moved to the mountains! So that is why you find me replying in detail to your Mt. Lemmon post--have hiked and backpacked in the Catalinas quite a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: