ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Valley of Fire
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 11/27/2006, 2:41 am    Post subject: Valley of Fire Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've only driven through before. Much like Red Rock, I guess I'm saving these places for when I run out of places to explore near my house. hHAhahahahha

I can't beleive I've waited two years to explore this!
More Pictures at: http://thirdrockfrom.org/new_stuff.htm

"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/27/2006, 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Too cool! I couldn't get your thirdrock link to fully open this time, for some reason, though. So I'm glad you posted here as well!
IGO

PostPosted: 11/27/2006, 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Something has happened to the graphics on the buttons but the text is there and the links work. I don't bother trying to fix them because I'm getting a new computer and new web authoring software very soon and I'm going to rebuild the site.
There are more shots than this on the web site.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 11/27/2006, 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would live there on weekends! Nice photos. I did fly over the area about 25 years ago and thought WOW!. Is there a place within called Hell's Kitchen or the like? Not NY, but in that area you are hiking. Mr. Green

I am guessing no trails but lots of beautiful cross country?
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 11/27/2006, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great pics! How nice to have that soo close to home!!
cakewalk

PostPosted: 11/27/2006, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here are some additional pics from my trip to the valley of fire a few months ago:

Here

starts at the bottom - click for big
I really want to go back and explore this area some more.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/27/2006, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hell's kitchen sounds familiar for the area.

I am just be-dazzeled about all the color and the incredible maze the place is. There is no trail but there are constructed stones in places to point you in the direction of a couple return loops. We hiked off trail. One zig after another zag. Dozens/hundreds of small slot canyons. A roller coaster. Up. Dow. In. Outs all over the place. The sun only came out a total of 15 minutes all day and I had to get my shots wherever I was when the sun came out. I'm counting the minutes until the weekend when I can go back on my terms. Can't believe I haven't explored here before. Just so many places.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/27/2006, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a spring anywhere in the area. That would make for one cool camp!
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/27/2006, 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was there years ago, checking out some petroglyph sites. I'd like to revisit it. Every time I drive to Vegas I think about stopping by.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/27/2006, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I wonder if there is a spring anywhere in the area. That would make for one cool camp!

There was water everywhere. I haven't got a clue how it got there but it was there.
Dean

PostPosted: 11/28/2006, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO, great pics. In the third shot, is that Muddy Peak in the background?
IGO

PostPosted: 11/28/2006, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Negative. in the third shot on this page that would be Virgin Peak in the Arizona Strip. On the 6th shot in the link provided, that dome is Muddy just behind Bowl of Fire. Fantastic contrast.
Dean

PostPosted: 11/28/2006, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah, Virgin Peak. I drove up the 4WD to a corral area two years ago to do Virgin Peak but a really nasty thunderstorm ran me out of there. However, on the drive out, there were some great views down to the Valley of Fire and Lake Mead beyond. I'd love to get back into that area as well as the Valley of Fire. Again, nice pics and thanks for the link to the others.
IGO

PostPosted: 11/28/2006, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are many things I'd like to see and do in your neck-o-the-woods but move there ain't one of'm. Sounds like you need to pack up and come to the sun, son! Very Happy
Dean

PostPosted: 11/28/2006, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I may live in the northwest but my heart is in the desert since I grew up in so cal. My mom and sister live in LV and another sister lives near Kingman.
I love the desert and the desert peaks. When I was coming back from my aborted attempt on Virgin Peak, I came upon this neat scene near a road sign that said Mesquite 31 miles and Gold Butte 19 miles. I loved how the red color blended right into the whitish coloration of the rocks in this area.
This doesn't compare with the Valley of Fire but it does show that there is neat stuff around every corner in that area of Nevada. In fact, this is looking in the direction of the Valley of Fire, not seen in this view.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: