ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GHOTMs -- Long Weekends or Not ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we schedule GHOTMs on long weekends (3-4 day)?
No - Allow people to make their own plans
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Yes - Schedule something worthy of 3 days
50%
 50%  [ 19 ]
Neutral -- I am game
39%
 39%  [ 15 ]
I do not participate in GHOTMs
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 38

desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/30/2006, 3:26 pm    Post subject: GHOTMs -- Long Weekends or Not ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Should we schedule GHOTMs on long weekends (3-4 day)?
Vote ....
Suz

PostPosted: 10/30/2006, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know Ambika is just trying to help sort this out...and thanks for doing that.

My 2 cents---if it makes sense!
Seems to me that it has been pretty darn tootin difficult to round up people to head up a GHOTM....for whatever reason. Those that do lead, do it when they can and the rest of us are thankful for their willingness to handle the details. Surely don't want to chase those few leaders away.

Also seems that there isn't a whole heck of a lot of change in the sign up lists of participants.

I'm always able to make my own plans on those long weekends. I don't HAVE to do the group hike of the month. So if there is a conflict between a GHOTM and a long weekend that might lend itself to something else I simply have to decide...or pre-plan better.

Long weekends can also be filled with crowds so it's a tough one.

So---yeah, I have a long weekend coming up-----do I want to do the ridgeline?---YUP, but do I want to take full advantage of my 3 days off and do something a little further from town that I might not otherwise get to squeeze in----sure do.......but I don't feel pressure to participate.....but I do like having a back-up plan in case I can't swing something else.

I say---let the leaders decide.....being mindful of the dates that Tim posted...they could work for ya or against ya....hard to know. Now I'll go vote.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 10/30/2006, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Look what I started Embarassed

I know shedules and holidays don't always work out for everybody. But if we are going to schedule stuff on the long weekends (For Some) maybe try and make it a trip worthy of it.

The ridgeline is a perfect example, I LOVE THAT HIKE! I'm not going to miss it, but there are some other hikes that I could squeeze into that weekend that I would rather do. I'm actually having to talk myself out of doing them?

Now having said that, I'm going to feel like guilty when I miss the first good hike that is scheduled for a 3-day weekend.
ck1

PostPosted: 10/30/2006, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree...I'm heading out of town with Tony for the weekend, not because I don't want to do Ridgeline, but because we could do that on any given Sunday, rather than on a 3-day. Had the GHOTM been somewhere more remote, even if it were still just a long day hike, I'd probably had joined in because I'd have the time to head further away...just a thought...

"The Journey is the Destination"
IGO

PostPosted: 11/28/2006, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is the Ridge Line a hike for the middle masses?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/28/2006, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:

Who is a middle mass ? Shocked
IGO

PostPosted: 11/28/2006, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ya know sumthin!? We live in a place that has 70 to 90% public lands. Anybody ever think about rounding up the wagons up against yonder nameless mountain and throwing down a party for 3 days? exploring un-know mountain. I've walked far and wide in this chere desert on Memorial and Labor days and never run into another soul.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 11/28/2006, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
IGO wrote:

Who is a middle mass ? Shocked

The common walker. Average Joe. Non marathon hiker.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:

Middle mass is what happens when you chain yourself to a desk and don't get out on the trails on weekends because you are cramming what life you have into the short weekends at home, and you don't get to the gym at all during the week because work is consuming you. Yeah, its bad for my middle mass and I ain't one bit happy about it. Wink
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:

Yes! It just happens to be awesome enough that non-middle massers enjoy the heck out of it too!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO -- are you saying you wanna do the Ridge line ? I am sure middle masses can do it ( this middle mass has not yet done it) ..we just need to draft Very Happy
IGO

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm sure I'd love to. I move better every time I get on a trail but I was just wondering. 14 mile hikes are a little much for most people if ya want a good turn-out.
I don't know what the "Ridgeline" is in your town. We have a bunch of them here but the one most refered to as "The Ridgeline" around here is indeed the Spring Mountain/Mt Charleston National Recreation Trail. I see me doing it in one day some day but right now I see it putting me in a pine box. LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: