ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hart Prairie Weekends
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/22/2007, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have a great time Shawn! I know Tracy will be dissappointed that she is not getting her pancakes!

I want to shine!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/24/2007, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another terrific time, for me anyway. We were beasts of burden all weekend. The fire danger dictates they cut a fire break around the buildings, so during the week Ron and Neil (TNC Staff) cut down and bucked up numerous trees, a whole hillside it seemed. We hauled them (in trucks) out to the meadow for burning this winter. I sure hope to get an email the night before that happens. As always, good food, great views, good exercise, cool temps, etc. etc. Saw elk in the meadow, deer on the way in, and a gazillion humming birds off the front porch.

Sunday I got up early to split a bunch of firewood, one fellow said he'd stack it if I split it. He has a lot of work to do. Then got put on the saw for most of the morning. I took my antique McCollough with me but was introduced to ~50 years of technological improvements in a Stihl. Boy toys! Left at 12:30 and made it to within 3 miles of the house when I had a flat! Changing a tire in 111 degrees, not fun but couldn't have happend at a better time, I was still in my dirty clothes so just changed it and came on home.

Looking forward to the July event where we'll probably do more of the same.

Photo Link to the May event: http://www.voaz.org/newvoaz/HTML/projects_events/hart_prairie_pr/20070526/index.htm
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/24/2007, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounded like a worthy way to spend the weekend. Wish I could have made it as you know. Sad One of these days.

-TIM-
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/24/2007, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:

Looking forward to the July event where we'll probably do more of the same.

I'm looking forward to it as well! Pink Yes I'll be there! Bouncing

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Shawn

PostPosted: 7/19/2007, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

July 19

Beat cha all up here! 66 degrees when I shut it down at the lodge. Stars hanging like apples to pick, gorgeous! See you tomorrow evening.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/22/2007, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A few of us went up to Flagstaff this weekend and joined Shawn and the VOAZ group in doing some work around Hart Prarie, and I MUST say....if you ever have wanted to or thought about joining this group and doing some work....DO SO!!! Agree

We had a great time and met some really neat people...and worked our butts off! Sweat but it was well worth it!

....oh, and these people know how to eat! seemed everytime we turned around it was time to eat! Wink

I'd go back in a heartbeat!!! thumbs up

Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/22/2007, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ya, it was a fun time. They don't skimp on the food... the available work either. Hmmmph. There was no shortage of that for sure.

I'd like to open up a discussion about maybe filling in the Nov GHOTM with a Hart Prairie volunteer weekend for those interested.

What says we?
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/22/2007, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:
I'd like to open up a discussion about maybe filling in the Nov GHOTM with a Hart Prairie volunteer weekend for those interested.

What says we?

If they've got a weekend available they can use us, I'm all for it!!!! Agree We should probably check with Neil first, for a possible date. Not sure if they close down for the winter or not, Shawn do you know?

Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/22/2007, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I took my parental units to the Kendricks Peak area yesterday (Saturday) and saw the signs for VOAZ off 180. I think it was FR 151?

Thought of y'all and knew you were up there.

I'd be interested in a Nov GHOTM or even cancel the Dec GHOTM to volunteer for the weekend. It will benefit all the hikers/backpackers out there.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Shawn

PostPosted: 7/22/2007, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
Tom Treks wrote:

What says we?

If they've got a weekend available they can use us, I'm all for it!!!! Agree We should probably check with Neil first, for a possible date. Not sure if they close down for the winter or not, Shawn do you know?

I think they shut down due to winter sometime in Oct. (But when they touch those slash piles off I am going to be there by hook or by crook.)

An Arizona Hikers/VOAz/Hart Prairie (or any combination thereof) weekend has my full support. I'd love to squeeze one more weekend in this year but given this group's tendency to plan 6+ months out, maybe next spring is the best we can do. I'll check with Neil and see if there are any open this year and what he thinks about next spring as well. And we can poll the group here and see if we can get 15-20 commitments for any that are open this year.

I had a great time as usual this weekend and am so glad some of you could all be there. I think VOAz is the best kept outdoor Arizona secret going, but that's just me. Hart Prairie is a great place, and these indentured servent weekends make me feel so good to be doing real work, (and it feels great when you stop). There is something for everyone and every ability-level there so no one should worry about that, if you show up, there is something to do.

Did you all get that cloud burst on the way home? I'd forgotten it could rain like that in AZ.

And did you get Doug and Nell committed for Reavis Ranch?
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/22/2007, 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
And did you get Doug and Nell committed for Reavis Ranch?

I think we did...but you'd have to check with Todd on that!

Hikngrl

PostPosted: 7/22/2007, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nell and Doug are seriously thinking about Reavis! We will keep in touch with them and work on them! You all will love them!

I believe that Neal said this years weekends are all full. I am sure we could get something going for spring though but we should start working on it early so we can get our selves in there before they fill up their calander!

Hart Prarie is not the only place VoAZ works though! Lots of opportunities to help coming up!

This weekend was great! It really does feel good to go and help make a difference out there where we all love to be!

Cant wait to go again!

I want to shine!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/22/2007, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I'd be up for one. Was gonna sign up this time when I saw Shawn post, but I was On-Call this weekend and knew at that time of his post I couldn't go. Almost signed up for one last year and earlier this year but already had made other plans when I saw ones I was interested in. Anyway I'm keeping it in mind.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hikngrl

PostPosted: 7/23/2007, 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
(But when they touch those slash piles off I am going to be there by hook or by crook.)

It would be kinda fun to go up for that wouldn't it!

I want to shine!
Shawn

PostPosted: 11/4/2007, 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tom Treks wrote:

What says we?

I've talked to Neal (Hart Prairie manager) a few weeks ago about this and this weekend discussed it with Michael Baker (VOAz big cheese).

Neal wants to do one volunteer weekend a month all next summer, and VOAz is in on that plan as well. I suggested to Michael that we have an AZHikers weekend and he is game.

So I second the motion to open the discussion. They open before Memorial Day, which is the traditional VOAz weekend. I'll work on getting and posting the weekends as soon as they are identified.

As this would be a dedicated event with a priority registration for AZHikers, I think we could establish our weekend, pick a registration date, insist on firm registration from ourselves by then so we have a head count, then when we get a firm count let them know so they can open it to others.

The work is as hard as you want it to be, ranging from picking native plant seed, to choppin and haulin wood. Cooking is something else that we can do, there is a good kitchen. The photographers should come, lots of opportunity for that. If we pick a day during the rainy season there's more photo opps.

Speak up and stay tuned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: