ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Toughest Hike
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 4:43 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Think, or at least hope, we've put the Sidhayes debate to bed; at least as far as Arizonahikers.com is concerned.

Yep, so that's my last post on the subject.

Sheri
pfredricks

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 5:07 pm    Post subject: yeah! This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Hmmmm---That style of writing seems very familiar to me. Dont I know you?
eg:frequent use of quotes on words, time quoting, etc

I am looking for someone of your caliber to challenge me on my faster ascents of camelback and squawpeak. Maybe we could get together and hike it. I would really love to meet someone that could hike that with me regularly.

About Michael Jordan.
I will say that an NBA player making millions (arguably the greatest sports figure of the modern era) is probably busier than someone who has the time to regularly write hiking reviews in an internet forum.

PS
Does the name Robert ring a bell?
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 5:50 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I know many will disagree but in my opinion Camelback & Squaw Peak are not very good training for even longer hikes... They just seem too short/busy and with too little elevation change. (Unless of course you do them twice or do both Camelback trails)

Just can't see them helping much with EPIC dayhikes hikes such as GC, Ridgeline, Humphreys, and the EPIC's already done.

But any time spent hiking is sure better than not hiking at all Very Happy
sidhayes

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 5:59 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Mr. Sam Hikes, Please....I am one who disagrees. That is like saying that running a 10k distance is not good training for longer distances! Sir, I agree that they can be busy, but they seem both long enough and good elevation gains for me! I believe if one is consistant in hard efforts and regularity of hiking these mountains, that is all that one needs to do any "epic" hike mentioned above. Perhaps, people who do not find them good training, are not going hard enough?
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 9:48 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Sam I am with sid here. This past summer I used Camelback to get ready for a backpacking trip in Colorado. I hiked 4, 14,000+ foot mountains and 2, mountains above 13,000 feet. I would of not been able to do this without Camelback Mountain. When I could on the cooler mornings I went end to end to end with 40 pounds on my back. I found that Camelback Mountain is good for training, not the best (I've had better), but it did the job.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 10:03 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I used the Flat Iron to train for my first hike into Grand Canyon. The key was to keep upping my pace to keep the intensity up there. Adding a pack is another good way to keep the intensity up. If you really want to increase the intensity just hike with an Beam me up and try to keep him in sight. Laughing
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 1/13/2004, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Siphon Draw/Camelback This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
I used the Flat Iron to train for my first hike into Grand Canyon. The key was to keep upping my pace to keep the intensity up there. Adding a pack is another good way to keep the intensity up. If you really want to increase the intensity just hike with an :new-alien: and try to keep him in sight. :lol:

Siphon Draw to the Flat Iron, then out to the Ridgeline, for some distance, is my favorite for training. I like Camelback and some of the climbing routes, for interest, but a double and a trail run, are necessary to make the milage.

azhiker96 wrote:
Adding a pack is another good way to keep the intensity up
Right on. Adding extra water (eight pounds per gallon - 128 ozs.), is what I do. Then, if you need it (and sometime you might) you've got it.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 5:36 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
If you really want to increase the intensity just hike with an Beam me up and try to keep him in sight. Laughing

Now THAT is the best training method I've heard yet. Plenty of them running around AZ. Mostly on AZH! Alien Blink
squawback

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 10:53 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

With all due respect, Mr. samhikes, need I remind you of the tale of Emile Zatopek. Zatopek was a middle distance (5k, 10K) runner back in the 50's & 60's for the Czech Republic. Having already won the gold in those two events at the 52 Olympic games, he decided to enter the marathon as an after thought-and again won the gold! I assure you that runners rarely, if at all, run their perscribed distance to train for their event. The idea that shorter hikes, especially if used as interval training, won't translate over to the epic hikes, I believe, is an erroneous one. Again, like azhiker96 suggests, it's all a function of intensity.

Personally, I found that if I focus on the longer hikes at the expense of the shorter, more intense, hikes like Camelback and the Flat Iron that my times on the shorter hikes suffer. Conversely, if I stay focused on the shorter hikes, doing repeats, my abilites for both types of hikes improve. However, that's just me, I understand that everybody is different.

As for my Jordan comment, it was simply an ill fated attempt at humor. I'd like to believe that a Jordan would actually condenscend to indulge us "ordinary" people, however it is doubtful. Almost all professional contracts contain a codicil precluding such activities becasue of the risk of injury. Perhaps Jordan was an exception.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 11:47 am    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

squawback wrote:
With all due respect, Mr. samhikes, need I remind you of the tale of Emile Zatopek. Zatopek was a middle distance (5k, 10K) runner back in the 50's & 60's for the Czech Republic. Having already won the gold in those two events at the 52 Olympic games, he decided to enter the marathon as an after thought-and again won the gold! I assure you that runners rarely, if at all, run their perscribed distance to train for their event. The idea that shorter hikes, especially if used as interval training, won't translate over to the epic hikes, I believe, is an erroneous one. Again, like azhiker96 suggests, it's all a function of intensity.

Come on that was 50 years ago and I bet he did not train for only 1 hour running Camelback Mtn. Today I doubt there are many successful marathon or even 10k runners that exclusively train by running Camelback Mtn since its too short and you likely won't have the stamina required for the long run/hikes.

My understanding is your training mileage should about 60 percent of your target so for a Kaibab south-north GC crossing ( 21 miles ) you should be hiking around 12 miles for this dayhike.

I've ran across quite a few people who have great times on Camelback & Squaw Peak but can't handle or don't do the tougher hikes such as the Ridgeline and long GC hikes.
squawback

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 1:55 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Unfortuantely, Mr. smahikes, you misinterpeted my analogy. The point being, that you don't have to do "epic" hikes to be capable of doing an "epic" hike. Do you think Zatopec was doing distances over a 10K before he decided to run the marathon? I doubt he even did the full 10K distance, a mere 25% of a marathon. Camelback Jack, the hiker I mentioned in my initial correspondence uses Camelback almost exclusively in preperation for his "eco-challanges" - the worlds toughest expedition race!

Once again I like to point out that a person doing repeats on Camelback at race-like intensity, is probably better equiped to do a so called "epic" hike, than a guy doing epic hikes is to challange the 20 minute barrier on Camelback. It's simply easier to rachet ones intensity down a few notches to accomodate a long hike than it is to pick it up for a short one.

Back to Jordan, that's why I said "perhaps Jordan was an exception" I seem to recall some such exemption.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 3:19 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Wow, now we have the amazing feats of Sid and now Camelback Jack.

Someday I hope to see in person or in some news publication these amazing accomplishments.

I am in awe. Mr. Green Beam me up Crazy
pfredricks

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 3:35 pm    Post subject: whew This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

I knew Michael Jordan, Michael Jordan was a friend of mine.....you are no Michael Jordan.

I pray that intelligent-heck even the average- people can see what the heck is going on here.

I thought my intelligence was being insulted before. This takes the cake.

I guess the debate is over. And thank goodness.

thanks
-Pete
squawback

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 6:03 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Do you even have a modicum of insight into what it takes to conjugate some form of pertinent discourse. Please, tell me that your not such a peanut brain that you actually derived a serious Jordan comparison from my earlier comments.

It appears that I need to condescend because you, Mr. Fredricks, are about one brain cell north of an amoeba. The last comment is, that Jordan had the exception to the codicil (contract provision), which would have allowed him to play pick up games. In an overt diplay of pedance, you felt it was necessary to confirm that he, in fact, did, even thought I previously acknowledged that it may exist. The exemption I speak of is just that. As for you intelligence being insulted, isn't that statement somewhat oxymoronic?

That personal email I sent you earlier today at you request, forget it. The offer is off.

As for samhikes. Remember, it's not what we know about others, it's what we know about ourselves inside. Therein lies the source of all ambiguity. Your proclivity towards despair resonates like the sound of a scared rabbit fleeing from a swooping barn owl.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/14/2004, 6:31 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

squawback wrote:
Good god, what a "tard". Do you even have a modicum of insight into what it takes to conjugate some form of pertinent discourse. Please, tell me that your not such a peanut brain that you actually derived a serious Jordan comparison from my earlier comments.

It appears that I need to condescend because you, Mr. Fredricks, are about one brain cell north of an amoeba. The last comment is, that Jordan had the exception to the codicil (contract provision), which would have allowed him to play pick up games. In an overt diplay of pedance, you felt it was necessary to confirm that he, in fact, did, even thought I previously acknowledged that it may exist. The exemption I speak of is just that. As for you intelligence being insulted, isn't that statement somewhat oxymoronic?

That personal email I sent you earlier today at you request, forget it. The offer is off.

As for samhikes. Remember, it's not what we know about others, it's what we know about ourselves inside. Therein lies the source of all ambiguity. Your proclivity towards despair resonates like the sound of a scared rabbit fleeing from a swooping barn owl.

Listen "Mr. squawback" this "Sid" thing has overflowed from another hiking group. Many are questioning the "Sid" phenomena. It isn't just pfredericks. I don't feel it was a personal attack on you, as much as just a comment toward your MJ analogy.

If you feel personal attacks are a first line of defense, then you aren't going to fit in here very well. Maybe you should take it somewhere else. Big words aren't going to help your cause, or sway the community member's opinions either.

So cool it. Please. Agree
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: