ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Arizona Registrar of Contractors?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/26/2006, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Arizona Registrar of Contractors? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone taken a contractor to court through the Registrar of Contractors?

I have a court date on Tuesday, just wondering what to expect and how to present my case.
Cholla

PostPosted: 9/26/2006, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is it a court date or mediation settlement? There is a big difference.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/26/2006, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It says Notice of Hearing
You are hereby notified that a hearing upon the charges made in the citation and complaint will be by by the office of administrative hearings on Washington street before administrative law judge XXXX.

Blah blah blah, you can have a attorney but it's not required. and so on and so on.
Cholla

PostPosted: 9/26/2006, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to ask if it was the trial date. Sadly, the process is slow. I am not an attorney. If and I stress IF your case has merit that is the purpose of this hearing. I'm not saying this to pick on you at all. As the plaintiff the burdon will be on you to prove you have a case. How well you present your evidence and represent yourself will have a huge impact IMHO. Pictures are a thousand words. No doubt you feel you have been wronged and received poor service and product for what you purchased.

Like most of us I have worked with great contractors and not so great. Hope things work out well for you.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/26/2006, 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bad thing is I didn't take any pictures in mid summer, my yard looks better than ever since it has cooled off. Sad

It's really stupid that it has even came to this, this is literally over about 1 hours worth of work which he could do and maybe $10 in parts. Plus I paid him an extra $100 to remove some rock. Never happened so I ended up having someone else do it. So at this point I'm just going more for principle than anything else.

To add to it, I've been storing the contractors trencher in my garage the last six months, i would think the guy would want that back. That is worth more than he even charged for the whole project. So people are idiots.

Anyone need to borrow a gas trencher?
Cholla

PostPosted: 9/26/2006, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You know. No one has the knowledge, time, ability,etc. to do some tasks all the time, so you hire someone to do it for you you. Most of the time it works out and everyone is happy. I have been ripped off or received less than satisfactory results on more than one occasion. Sometimes, I've swallowed my pride and bit the bullet. That's life. Keep that in mind. I think that is what the judge is looking for as well. If you can settle this on Tuesday it will most likely be in everybodies best interest even if you feel your ego is bruised and you are out a few hundred dollars versus a few or many thousand dollars in attorneys fees.

I don't know the details of what happend, so you will be the best judge of how you want to proceed. Remember, the judge will be looking for the middle ground.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/26/2006, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just keep the trencher. What would that bring via Craig List I wonder?

I'd consider that an even trade. Obviously the guy isn't too worried about it, or thinks he lost out.
IGO

PostPosted: 9/26/2006, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In Vegas, if a contractor left a trencher at your house for 6 months, he didn't own the trencher in the first place.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Suz

PostPosted: 9/26/2006, 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer Tim, I sure hope it all gets worked out satisfactorily.

Sending you a PM.
heather

PostPosted: 9/27/2006, 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bummer that you are going through this. I am having some work done on the backyard. I always go to the azroc site and maricopa.gov and check them out for complaints before I decide to use a specific co. And price of course. Very Happy
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/27/2006, 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heather? Where have you been hiding?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/27/2006, 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Bummer that you are going through this. I am having some work done on the backyard. I always go to the azroc site and maricopa.gov and check them out for complaints before I decide to use a specific co. And price of course.

Funny, I actually did the same with this project, even found him on www.servicemagic.com and he had good ratings.

I've had 4 or 5 projects around the house, actually had better experiences with the unlicensed contractors I found on craigslist.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/27/2006, 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
In Vegas, if a contractor left a trencher at your house for 6 months, he didn't own the trencher in the first place.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

How insightful! Be careful Tim, maybe he'll drop a dime on you for holding stolen property!

I agree with some earlier statements, letting it go may be the thing to do. I had to do that with a tv repairman once. Still get a little hot thinking about it now but letting it go was the thing to do.

Good luck with it!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/27/2006, 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had trouble with a contractor. Long story, but we should have sued, it was bad. Now he's left town!
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 9/27/2006, 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My client has a class action suit involving a contrctor who has ripped people off for upwards of 120 - 200k and it is slow and the registrar does not do much about it, so they have involved the atty.general and senators to put pressure on the registrar for even leting rip-offs like this obtain a license. There seem to be so many unscrupulous people out there, unfortunately. Tim, keep that trencher...rent it out!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: