ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
WFW 2003
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
mike
PostPosted: 7/11/2003, 4:35 pm    Post subject: WFW 2003 Reply with quote

No, it's not a wrestling match!! It's the 1st Annual West Fork Wade! (should've been 2nd... I tried to put this one together last year, but had to bow out because of a pumpkin knee problem! Mad ) Ck1 asked me about this thing recently, wondering if I was thinking of giving it a shot again this year. Well, the knee's doing just fine these days and I've been wanting to do this one for a long time, so here we go!!

What it is:
    The West Fork Wade is a canyoneering adventure which begins at the top of the rim and follows the West Fork of Oak Creek 12 miles to the trailhead at Call of the Canyon. There is a possibility it will require a few short swims, but there is no technical climbing required. An alternative hike will also be available, which is the normal out and back beginning at Call of the Canyon. This optional hike can be extended beyond the "get your feet wet" point, which is about 3 miles in. If you've only hiked West Fork to this point, trust me, you've missed the most awesome scenery there. Beginning at this point, there is a short wade of about 1/4 mile, after which you'll be in and out of the water the rest of the way, as far back as you want to go. At about 5 miles, you'll encounter the first pool, which can be traversed on the left side. Beyond there, I have no idea, since that's as far as I've gone.

When:
    I'm looking at mid September, either the weekend of the 13th or the 20th. The water should still be warm enough for swimming then, and the chance of monsoon rains should be minimal. There might even be some fall color in the upper part of the hike. The 12 mile hike will require a shuttle. To do this, we have to drive to Flagstaff, head west on I40 to Woody Mountain Road, then south to the top of West Fork. The best bet would be to camp the night before, either somewhere in Oak Creek Canyon, or on top of the rim. On the morning of the hike the 12 milers could be dropped off by the out and back group. The out and backers could then drive to Call of the Canyon to do their hike. At the end of the hike, we would meet up at the lower trailhead and head into Sedona for a celebration bottle of Oak Creek Amber Ale and dinner!

What you'll need:
    The usual hiking gear: water, food, etc.
    Rain gear
    Tevas or water shoes (if you're going to wade)
    Quick drying clothing
    A strong stomach (if you're going to kiss Hooli, or watch while CatValet does)

The questions:
    Who's interested?
    Which option?
    Which weekend?
    Hike on Saturday or Sunday?
    Do you own, or are you, a goat?
    Would you prefer to camp in Oak Creek Canyon, or on top of the rim?
    If you're doing the out and back, can you help with the shuttle and how many riders can you haul?
    Are you willing to pose for a photo while kissing the top of Hooli's noggin?

Let's hear it!
-Mike

evenstar

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
But that aside, what do you think makes one a stud?

Someone who'll admit eating TOFU Wink
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Let's hear it for me and Diane, the FIRST two women to earn the title of "AZHIKERTOUGHWOMEN". 45 degree water, baby, thats all I am gonna say.

Cheers to you two Beer Beer Beer

You definitely earned the title and should proud of it, a very difficult task indeed.

I'm still pumped up about the hike. its all I've thought about all day. Smile
ck1

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yea, me too...I when my students ask what I did over the weekend, I usually just say "went hiking" or camping or riding or whatever...but today I pulled up the Kent's pics and SHOWED them what I did.

And if you were curious...the reaction of the average high school sophomore was "that looks dumb".

Yep dumb...but I'd do it again in a minute....I was actually looking at the calendar for next year, though a bit earlier...

"The Journey is the Destination"
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dumb, no.

Crazy, yes Crazy but I have never denied being crazy Crazy
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well Colin, I agree with your students....DUMB! But oh man, do I wish I was twenty years or so younger so I could have been dumb too. Multi
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Saints be praised!!

My old 'battle axe' camera came back to life at 7:22pm 9/22/2003!! I really can't believe my eyes. That thing took a full fledged dunk for at least 30 secs. That would have been the second dunk actually that day. The first was just a short couple of seconds. Unbelievable.

The pics are a bit fuzzy for the most part at the start of the hike, but it was friggin' cold that morning. Mr. Green That was actually my only casualty for the day other than a few scrapes and extremely sore muscles.

I still can't believe it. I'm thinking that I better not even consider buying another one right now. This is a sign from above. :angel: Maybe I'll actually get a picture of a snake falling from the sky now...
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 9/22/2003, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Well Colin, I agree with your students....DUMB! But oh man, do I wish I was twenty years or so younger so I could have been dumb too. Multi

I don't think I've ever heard anyone wish they were dumb... Upsidedown

PostPosted: 9/23/2003, 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From experience I'll tell you Colin, if you were to take those kids and do that hike with them it would change from 'that looks dumb' to 'when can we do this again?'
Hnak

PostPosted: 9/23/2003, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
Yep dumb...but I'd do it again in a minute....I was actually looking at the calendar for next year, though a bit earlier...

Well, some people might think that it's "dumb" to hike all day to the point of exhaustion, freeze ones testicles off, risk hypothermia, get all cut up and bruised, dodge flying snakes, poison ivy, killer rocks and other interesting phenomenon, pickle your feet, drown your camera, and all kinds of fun things... But what do they know?

They don't know the fun of experiencing these things with others, and being able to laugh about it while we're doing it. That's the fun part...

And the scenery ain't bad either...
Daryl

PostPosted: 9/23/2003, 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Didn't WFW originally mean West Fork Wade?

I think you'll need to rename the hike for next year.
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/24/2003, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's a post I put on my blog on Monday after you guys made your reports:

Quote:
Monday's bite. Some friends of mine did a campout/death-hike over the weekend - 14.2 miles of brutal canyoneering in the West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon. All the talk is of their perseverance and intestinal fortitude and so forth. Sounds like it was a hell of a lot of fun and now I'm pissed I didn't make it. Granted, I have solid reasons for staying home, but I'm certainly not happy about missing the hike.

There is nothing quite like a good death-march to bond friends together. It also gives you a renewed sense of personal strength when you have to reach deep down, using every last ounce of willpower and fortitude you have to grind out those last few miles to reach your goal. It is rewarding in many ways:

- Physically, for knowing you pushed yourself harder than you thought you could (although there is usually a price to pay, like not being able to walk like a normal human for several days afterwards).
    - Mentally, for finding those hidden resources you didn't know you had.
    - Socially, for the intense bonds you form with your fellow sufferers.
    - Aesthetically, because you just don't do a death-march unless you are going to cross some seriously beautiful territory - or reach some intense reward at the end.

Some (my wife among them) think I'm insane for wanting to go on death-marches. It is entirely possible that they are correct. But then again - I think that people are insane who can:

- Shop all day
    - Listen to country music
    - Read romance novels
    - Line dance
    - Watch the Emmy, Tony, Ace, People's Choice or Oscar or any other similar self-congratulatory Hollywood awards show
    - Care about said awards

So there you have it. I may be insane - but at least I'm only harming myself - I don't drag millions of people down into the depths of insanity with me.

I'm such the humanitarian.

I'd do a death-march type insane hike like the WFW any day of the week - especially with the quality people that I know were there. That would be totally sweet.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/25/2003, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know I will never forget the experience and I DO feel I have grown as a result of the day! I am thankful I went with the people I went with as every one of them were supportive and not one maliciously laughed at the amount of time I spent on my tushie in that cold cold water!

When I look at the pictures (which I have done a million times already) I feel a renewed sence of accomplishment each time. I remember the laughs and the moans and groans (mostly mine) and know I did some thing incredible with an incredible bunch of people!

Looking forward to next year! For those of you who couldn't make it this year we look forward to you joining us on WFW II! (don't change the name, it's a classic now!)

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: