ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
MSR "Reactor" stove - new for '07
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 8/19/2006, 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kurt's about right on those numbers, we only carry a small amount of the larger (four season mix) canisters and we rarely sell them.

I've found (with just about all my canister stoves) that one of the small canisters is enough for two or three people for a couple days if all you're doing is boiling water for mountain-house (or the like) and coffee (tea).

That new MSR stove has real potential. I was talking to the local MSR rep about it a week or so ago (we had an employee clinic at the store). He said that the weights and efficiency ratings were still up in the air because they only have prototypes right now, no production models (and thereby specs) are available. Naturally he insisted that the stove is going to blow the Jetboil PCS out of the water. I'll remain skeptical until I can get my hands on one.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/19/2006, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

theres a pic of the stove in the gallery- taken during May, at Willow Creek via Maxwell trail.
there were only a few minor details about the unit which I would change, and although it is just input of personal opinion, these details may be worked out and in the future Im sure the production model will be near perfect. It is a fantastic set-up, and Matt, dont worry it is STUPID fast for boiling water. Totally windproof as well... we should be seeing these on the shelves by January.

what i do
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/19/2006, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike are you testing that through BGT?
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/19/2006, 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

nope, contacted directly from the guys at Cascade. Brian Mandell asks me for input on prototype stuff and usually about once a year. Cant wait to see what is next! The great thing is I get to see nice products up close and then I get free gear for my time. However, I cannot say how or why they pick participants, that is a mystery Shocked

what i do
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 8/21/2006, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah that stove threw off my whole dinner preperations. We put water in, then it was boiling. It was so fast I wasnt even hungry yet.

Was definatley a cool little testing you got Mike. Now just find someone who needs Porche testing.

Cool

-Hunter S. Thompson
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 12/8/2006, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

this just in, Brian says the Reactor stove will have a retail price of $149
Crazy

what i do
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 7/18/2007, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

June 29, 2007

MSR (Mountain Safety Research) announced today that the Reactor Stove System, previously scheduled for release in spring of 2007, is not ready for release yet. The Reactor – a fast-boiling, fuel-efficient, and windproof integrated stove system – has been highly anticipated due to early press coverage, awards, and enthusiastic reviews from prototype testers.

The Reactor design features a unique burner technology, including convective and radiant heat transfer and an internal pressure regulator. As Seattle-based production increased and stoves were put through MSR’s stringent testing protocols, the majority of units met MSR's test standards; however, a minority fell short of a particular worst-case combustion condition test, and produced higher than desired levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO). Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of all fuel-burning stoves, and although the elevated levels produced by the Reactor would have posed little appreciable CO risk to those using the stove as directed, MSR nevertheless elected to further hone the Reactor stove design so that it consistently meets the testing standard.

“We’re all very disappointed that we’ve been unable to meet our previous ship date commitment, and are sorry for letting so many down,” said Ken Meidell, Outdoor Group Vice-President of Cascade Designs, parent company of the MSR brand. “But we have always worked by high technical standards and will not compromise on the quality and consistency of our products.”

Production of the Reactor Stove System has resumed, and the validation testing will be repeated. The company has declined to communicate a firm shipping date, and recommends checking the website at www.msrgear.com for updates.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Sparkletron

PostPosted: 9/3/2007, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"The MSR Reactor Stove System began shipping on August 23rd, 2007 to limited retail outlets in North America. However, due to the significant demand we anticipate that they are going to be fairly difficult to find on store shelves for a while. We recommend contacting your local retailer for availability."

-S
Sparkletron

PostPosted: 9/11/2007, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

First impression is that it's heavy relative to what I'm using now. But it does work; I've never seen a liter of water boil so fast. I look forward to testing it at Tuweep in a few weeks. One thing I hope it handles well is wind. That's the major weakness of my Whisperlite, and the Whisperlite is better than most.

-S
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 9/11/2007, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

the Reactor is the ONLY stove that works great without a windscreen, in that respect, it blows the JetBoil out of the current stove scene (being in the same class). There is no flame with the Reactor, more like an element. You can use it in 80mph winds, no matter. It works well, but heavy for solo use.

what i do
IGO

PostPosted: 9/12/2007, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sparkletron wrote:
First impression is that it's heavy relative to what I'm using now. But it does work; I've never seen a liter of water boil so fast. I look forward to testing it at Tuweep in a few weeks. One thing I hope it handles well is wind. That's the major weakness of my Whisperlite, and the Whisperlite is better than most.

-S

Good place to test 'cause there ain't no more wind than is at Tuweep 'cep in Kansas. Ain't that right Toto?
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Sparkletron

PostPosted: 9/30/2007, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tested the stove at Toroweap as well as a few other places along the North rim. It lived up to the hype. Fast boiling times and immune to wind.

-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: