ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
AZ Hiking Shack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 12:14 am    Post subject: AZ Hiking Shack Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was at work today (REI) and a lady wanted a specific Teva sandal that we don't carry, so I called AZHS to see if they did (just being nice). They guy on the other end said, "I wouldn't carry Teva if they were the last sandal on earth. You can find them at REI or any other shop like that."

Very Happy

Talk about ate up! Who cares?!?!?!
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No good deed goes unpunished.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow - AZHS seems to have an attitude problem.

I wonder if it is a quality issue or a vendor issue.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Might be quality issue. I've been wearing them for years, have three pairs, but the velcro wears out really fast. I can replace it due to my sewing skills, so I do. Chaco seems preferred brand for river guides nowadays. Buckles seem to work better.
grrlscout

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the quality may have declined in recent years. My tevas are about 8 years old, and the Velcro is just now starting to give. I also notice that the newer ones have that light, foam-like footbed, rather than rubber.

After the beating my feet went through when I wore them hiking at Havasu Canyon, I've decided my next pair will be Keens. Though I do worry that they might trap bits of grit and pebbles, thanks to their more closed design.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, Keens might do better. Just FYI, when I hike Havasu Canyon to Colorado River in Tevas I first tape areas around toes, etc. that may chafe due to sand. Then put on heavy socks. Seems like a bit of overkill, but works better for me than tennis shoes. Keens might be the ticket, though.
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Totally understand that certain brands work better than others, especially for different people....I've gotten great feedback from all 3 brands. The few problems I have seen, we've just replaced the shoes for the customers or gotten them new ones. Chacos and Keens are very popular.

Maybe AHS has a chip on their shoulder? I just won't refer any customers there anymore.
grrlscout

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Yeah, Keens might do better. Just FYI, when I hike Havasu Canyon to Colorado River in Tevas I first tape areas around toes, etc. that may chafe due to sand. Then put on heavy socks. Seems like a bit of overkill, but works better for me than tennis shoes. Keens might be the ticket, though.

Good advice! Unfortunately, I did that *after* the fact. Embarassed And it did indeed offer some relief to my battered tootsies. I can only imagine how great it would work as a preventative measure.

It might be a while before I get my Keens, so if I end up doing another water hike before then, I'll do the tape and sock thang beforehand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought a pair of keens and took them back a week later. They were just very uncomfortable for me.

I did a 36 mile Grand Canyon Trip with a guy who wore Teva's the whole trip after the first 8 miles down Tanner.

Whatever works for you just go for it. I've avoided the AZHS for some reason as well.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They just arn't too friendly. I've been in there a couple of times, and they've never said a word to me. I think someone looked at me once though. It's a shame, I was thinking about buying my Western bag from there but decided to go elsewhere.

Kerouac
doug

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have had the problem at REI with poeple that had no idea what a hike was and have gotten good service at the shack. At REI most have been helpful but not all. I is just a matter of who you get.
DesertDog

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This just demonstates that anyone can get any type of service anywhere. I guess it just depends on whom is working what shift.
Everytime I've been in AZHS, they've bent over backwards to help me.
Last January I went in there looking for a Snow Claw (for my imaginary snowshoe/camping adventure I didn't get to have Sad ).
The didn't have one in stock, but offered to special order one for me. Not much profit in that. They're like that every time I go in the store.

Maybe they've replaced the staff with arrogant jerks since I've been in there? dunno
heather

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You know, I had AZHS on my list of stores to go check out. I like REI a lot. I think I will just stick w/ going to them. They are closer after all. Smile
IGO

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My first pair of Tevas are still in commision. I bought them when they were probably the only model they made...straight black. They're one of those older time BP mechanisms that filled a cap so prefectly in days of yor that I couldn't bare to switch over to anything else today for fear of the canyon gods turning on me as a trader.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/10/2006, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crocs for me, tevas too heavy

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: