ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Group Hike Canyon Lake to Peralta trailhead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 1/4/2003, 11:53 am    Post subject: Group Hike Canyon Lake to Peralta trailhead Reply with quote

Saturday, January 25th

I'm planning on a group hike from Canyon Lake to Peralta. It will be a shuttle hike and cars will need to be parked at both ends. There may be a camp out the night before and a barbeque or restaurant visit afterwards.

Expect this to be an all day hike. In before light, out after light. It's around 15 miles or so. I'll double check on TOPO.

I'll update as I can. I hope to see a bunch of y'all there.
GTG

Update - 01/14/03

Just for a recap -
We're planning on hiking from Canyon Lake TH to Peralta TH.
The distance is supposedly 14 miles, but it seems longer. I'll try to get better measurements beforehand.

We'll need to leave Canyon Lake Trailhead no later than 7:00 AM.

(See page 296 of the Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness, Trip 53 in reverse.)

We will need to get a fairly accurate count of people before we go.

We'll have to park a proper number of cars at Peralta to get us back over to Canyon Lake.

I've mentioned camping - I have considered camping at Carney Springs and then driving over to Peralta, parking cars, then driving around to Canyon Lake. Not everyone will want or need to camp there. Some of us may decide to camp at the lake or something. In any case, I'll be in charge of one 5 passenger + gear vehicle left at Peralta.

We will need enough vehicles to carry all of us back around. (Carlson and Stewart say it's a 30 mile car trip.)

Depending on how many go, we may need to break up into groups. This will happen naturally anyway, because not everyone hikes at the same rate.

I have 3 FRS radios that I'll bring. If anyone else has a pair, great. They work great for telling others which route to take and determining distances from each other.

Bring plenty of snacks and water, and prepare for the weather.

Someone needs to suggest a decent restaurant for us to converge upon afterwards. (Sounds like a job for CatValet.)

I'll have an assortment of beverages in a cooler in my car.

I hope to see a big turnout for this one.

Post a reply or PM me to cover any holes I've left.

Update - 01/18/03

Thinking of El Vira's is making my stomach growl.

List of confirmed hikers (so we can arrange vehicles)

(Canyon Lake to Peralta)
GTG
azhiker96
TommyB
kurthzone
Mike
jmzblond
Higgs
Cactuscat
DWH

(First Water to Peralta)
CatValet
Valet2

Who else? A couple of you emailed me, come on now.

Thanks,
GTG

azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/18/2003, 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd, I can provide another shuttle vehicle. I'll meet you at Carney Springs or Peralta TH in the morning about 6am. I'm guessing we'll want to leave about that time to make sure we can be set for a 7am departure from Canyon lake TH. Elvira's sounds great to me for an after the hike eatery.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/18/2003, 4:30 pm    Post subject: big hike and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96, glad to hear you're going as well. I'll plan on either camping at Carney or driving to Peralta early Saturday AM. I would like to leave Canyon Lake by 7:00 AM. Let's see who falls into line and we'll see about your vehicle.

Who else?
I'll start a list of all the attendee's on the first page of this post. That will help with arranging vehicles.

GTG
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Group Hike Canyon Lake to Peralta trailhead Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:

Update - 01/18/03

Thinking of El Vira's is making my stomach growl.

List of confirmed hikers (so we can arrange vehicles)

GTG
azhiker96
Who else?

Thanks,
GTG

Thought I confirmed already, but here's another. I'm in with my three seater S-10.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/19/2003, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in, but don't know yet whether I'll be camping friday night. Mrs Mike may hike with CatValet & Valet2 from First Water to Peralta.
GTG

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anybody interested please let me know. I'm trying to get vehicles arranged.

Thanks,
GTG
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/21/2003, 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm interested. Have a pick-up and can be used as afternoon shuttle--it'd be a little cold in the morning but am willing to drive either way...
GTG

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 8:08 am    Post subject: vehicles and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am trying to get vehicles to leave at Peralta. So far we have enough to carry about 9 or 10. It looks like we'll need more vehicular backup to get the rest of us out. Higgs and kurthzone will be carrying us around to Canyon LAke in their pickups with 3 each in front. I'll volunteer to ride in the back on the way over. Anyone email or PM me to let me know if you're willing to leave a car at Peralt for the shuttle back. Don't post it here though for privacy issues.

Thanks, hope to see you Saturday AM,
GTG
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 1/22/2003, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG, don't know if it will make any difference for your planning purposes, but I won't be making it Saturday. Maybe next time around.
GTG

PostPosted: 1/24/2003, 8:32 am    Post subject: trip and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any last minute takers?
If everyone going would PM or email me to let me know their count attending and vehicle status, that would be great.
Just so I'm sure about the vehicle roundup.

Thanks, see you Saturday AM,
GTG
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/24/2003, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry GTG. I know I said I would be there - but the bum knee will keep me out of it this weekend.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've come down with a cold, or maybe the sinus infection everyone's been getting. It started yesterday morning. I was hopeful I'd be feeling better today, but I'm worse instead. Now my throat is getting sore and I'm coughing. I'm going to have to bail on this hike. Pumpkin!! I was really looking forward to this one!! Hmmm

Hope you all have a great hike, can't wait to hear about it!!
ck1

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pat and I got back a bit ago from the hike...we have afternoon plans so we couldn't go the distance...we met the crew at the Canyon Lake Marina and took Boulder Canyon Trail, then dropped into LaBarge....at Indian Paint Mine Pat, Buffett and I headed back along Boulder Canyon Trail...

Pat said to tell everyone she enjoyed the hike and the company! (she's hard to please, so that's a compliment)

I had a great time as well! Wish we could have continued on with the crew. I'm sure GTG's trip report will include all the details of this adventure Very Happy

"The Journey is the Destination"
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/26/2003, 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Had a great time everyone. It was definitely an adventure. I was glad to finally meet some of you. Great bunch of folks.

I was bummed that some of the others had to drop off before the hike. It was a great hike. Saw enough of the Supes to last me a week or two at least. Wink

Big thanks to GTG for setting up the hike. Can't wait for the next one.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/26/2003, 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh Man.....Randy forcing down a second lunch Rolling Eyes .....GTG's Beer at the end of the hike (Randy says GTG only charged $5. ! How come he gets a discount Question Crying or Very sad).....Dinner and more cervezas at Elviras.....

Really sorry I missed this one Exclamation
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
azhiker96

PostPosted: 1/26/2003, 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was a good hike and good to meet my fellow hikers. We saw a toad, ground squirrels, bat guano, scruffy gun toting types, a white-haired woman on a mission, and signs of trail maintenance. We also learned a lot. GTG learned that he is not the only one who'll drag a raptor carcass from under a rock. Shocked I learned the proper way to inflate a collapsed water bladder with a hiking pole. Surprised We learned the perils of cactus hugging. Crying or Very sad We also learned that the beer is free when GTG gives you his spare trunk key and lets you run up ahead. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: