ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
MONEY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkern15674

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 11:16 pm    Post subject: MONEY Reply to topic Reply with quote

Browsing through REI.com and saw the arc'teryx naos 70 backpack for $500 and thought holy schniekie. Would anyone pay that or am I a cheap a**??
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 7/27/2006, 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I dunno, but I work there in case anyone was wondering.
IGO

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I wanted it and I thought it was the thing I'd buy it.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would never pay that much for a backpack. A 4 season tent, maybe.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What's a schniekie?

I have used the same pack for 31 years. It works fine except for canyoneering/scrambling, because it's external frame, a bit top heavy, wide, etc. I need a new one, but I'm not paying $500! No way! However, if someone likes that pack and can afford it, well, then, I say go for it! I agree with IGO (for a change Very Happy ).

Anyone tried that REI ultralight one--it's around $100? I am going to interview folks about it. I did try it on at REI/Tempe, (on my one and only visit there since becoming a member in 1971.) There is another ultralight I saw being carried by a PCT hiker in the Sierras. I want to say it was an ULA or UMA or something--three letter word starting with a "U." This guy said it was way better than the REI one. If I buy another pack I'm going for lightweight. Anybody heard of it?
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I rationalize what I spend on gear by the the fact that "regular" vacations cost hundreds of dollars a day, so if I spend $500 on a pack or $250 for shoes, they are "paid for" in a few nights on the trail. If you want the high end and can afford it-more power to you, you likely earned it.

Elizabeth, talk to me about that pack, sounds like mine but I can't remember the acronym right now either. Will think of, made in Utah bya small company. No complaints.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, it was an ultralight, with a lot of netting pockets on the outside, light green fabric with that funny ultralight look to it. This guy claimed it was way better than the REI one. I didn't ask him if he thought it was better than the Go-Lite ones. He was planning on hiking the whole PCT with it and had already made it to the Sierras, and was pleased with it. Of course, there would be the question whether or not it's made for smaller women.
ghoster

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, the one you are talking about is from a company called ULA or Ultra Light Adventures.

The link is;http://www.ula-equipment.com/

I owned the one at REI for one backpack to Rogers Trough, the problem I had was that it's harness or straps pivot on the center of mass and when I loaded it with the water and stuff it seemed to roll from side to side for me. Plus when I stuffed the bag and tent into it, it was hard to access the outside pockets. I wasn't impressed so I took it back I have been thinking about the ULA one, but still haven't committed to it. Take a look at the website, They are pricey but if you want one I think the quality makes it worth it.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for the info!!
Shawn

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yup, that's my pack.

Very nice in my opinion, only complaint is the top bag doesn't snug down very tight, so I run the strap up over it which accomplishes the objective. Doesn't quite "look" like a pack should in some opinions, but switching to this took 2-3 pound off my back at the time, so I can stand the style issue.

Let me know if you want to see it sometime, and I'll remember (yeah fat chance of that) to bring it to an event where we are both there.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a REI UL 45 as well, I got it on sale for $30 over the winter. If your around 20-25lbs it is ok but not much more than that.

I have heard good things about the ULA packs, also I noticed that the granite gear packs were popular as well for the thru-hiker/lightweight type people.

I have a Gregory Z-Pack and I absolutely love it, I got one on sale for $90 and I've carried loads up to 50'bs in it, but that is overload for it. It's great for around 35lbs. They make a G-pack which is a bit smaller.
Shawn

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oooops, double posted
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn I completely agree with your Philosophy on spending $$$ on camping stuff. Compared to regular vacations they are fractions of the cost.
IGO

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
What's a schniekie?

I have used the same pack for 31 years. It works fine except for canyoneering/scrambling, because it's external frame, a bit top heavy, wide, etc. I need a new one, but I'm not paying $500! No way! However, if someone likes that pack and can afford it, well, then, I say go for it! I agree with IGO (for a change Very Happy ).

Anyone tried that REI ultralight one--it's around $100? I am going to interview folks about it. I did try it on at REI/Tempe, (on my one and only visit there since becoming a member in 1971.) There is another ultralight I saw being carried by a PCT hiker in the Sierras. I want to say it was an ULA or UMA or something--three letter word starting with a "U." This guy said it was way better than the REI one. If I buy another pack I'm going for lightweight. Anybody heard of it?

Now I'd buy it if I thought it was the thing but I was seriously looking at the Gregory Whitney when I opted for the REI Mars. Out of the box I did a week long solo with the half the price pack and it was wonderful.
As for the REI Ultralights, I've used my 45 for a week-end and it was great. A dozen of us here use the Flash and I bet I see half of that dozen on the West Fork hike next week.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/28/2006, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, I have the Flash--it's nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: