ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Woods Canyon The Whole Enchilada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/22/2003, 11:05 am    Post subject: Woods Canyon The Whole Enchilada Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well today was the big day. I bounced out of bed, did back handsprings into the kitchen, downed a couple of bowls of Tony Tiger, because their Grrrrrrrrrrreat, and I was going to need a “Tiger in my tank” for what laid ahead. I picked up Cactuscat at 2:45 AM and we were off for our destination. We arrived at the Lower Woods Canyon Trailhead at about 4:45 AM, a distance of 132 miles from Northeast Mesa. We had been there about 15 minutes or so, when suddenly we saw some sort of aborition approaching, we weren’t certain what it was and thought it may be caused by on of those Sedona New Age Vortexes! It took on several different alien life forms then voila, there was the Grand Master of HAZ, Teva Joe, coming through the gate.

We left his rig at the Lower Woods Canyon Trailhead, all piled into to mine and we were off on a shuttle to the Upper Woods Canyon Trailhead. We drove the 5+ miles back to I-17 like sane people, but once we headed north on 17 toward our destination we went from impulse power to warp drive (for you trekies), we got off at exit 315 and followed FR80 a short distance where we picked up Pfredricks, who had spent the night.

We continued down FR80 toward our starting point, shaking our innards and rattling our teeth, when we came upon the first excitement of the day. We spotted a mother hen Turkey with about ten little chicks crossing the field in front of us. I attempted a photo, but they were to quick to take cover.

Soon we were at our starting point, it was time for the four of us to make an attempt at conquering Woods Canyon in its entirety in a single day. A rare feat, and a admirable challenge. Total distance is only around 15 miles but the first 10 of those are totally off trail and involve nothing but bouldering, rock hopping , swimming, scrambling and on the bright side very little bush whacking. In my line of thinking this type of hiking is “HIKING NIRVANA”

We were soon cutting cross- country to a point where we would enter the upper reaches of Woods Canyon. The outside temperature at this point was a balmy 43.5 degrees. The minute we started our decent into the canyon I knew this was going to be an incredible hike. The rains from this spring had performed wonders on the flora habitat and a green lushness surrounded us, stimulating our senses. We worked our way down the Canyon, first coming upon “The Dip”, then the 70’ Basalt Drop (See Teva’s excellent description of Upper Woods Canyon)

Soon we found ourselves at the point we had been anticipating the most, “The Liquid Pool of Ice”, a long narrow pool shaded by the soaring red rock cliffs. It is a totally awesome sight. We loaded all electronics and other items that can’t get wet into dry bags and prepared ourselves for the swim. The water was a balmy 59.5 degrees, which really wasn’t bad. Pfredricks was first in, floating his pack. It is possible to wade for a distance on the upper end in chest deep water, but swimming is soon essential as the water is extremely deep the rest of the way across. Pfredricks was followed by Teva then Cactuscat with Arizonaheat ( the Mark Spitz of……..I mean the lead weight of the group bringing up the rear), I’m glad the swim wasn’t any longer, estimated distance around 50 yards, but it was a blast!!!!!!!

A short distance beyond the Liquid Pool of Ice is your next swim. It is possible to wade in chest deep water across at least half of this pool, before it’s necessary to swim. This pool actually felt colder than the first. I don’t believe Teva took the temperature of the second pool.

We continued at a blistering snails pace down the canyon past several more pools of water. There is one pool that is absolutely astounding, looking almost bottomless when you peer upon it from above. Problem being if you jumped you probably wouldn’t be able to get back out, it is a huge bowl. We were totally amazed at the amount of water we were seeing, like I said earlier that rain did wonders.

We eventually came to the middle five miles of canyon, a stretch which was new to all of us, as Teva had never explored this part before. The highlight of this stretch was a magnificent display of what appeared to be undisturbed Indian Ruins ( let’s all hope they remain that way).

We continued down the Canyon passing many more pools of water carved into the sandstone in various shapes and sizes, admiring the towering vivid red rock cliffs and outcroppings surrounding us, the many sandstone benches, the lush vegetation growing everywhere and the brilliant blue sky above. It just doesn’t get any better.

Eventually we found ourselves in the lower reaches of the Canyon, where we were actually now on a trail. We were back to Teva’s vehicle for the shuttle back to the top around 6:30 PM, for a hike time of over twelve hours over grueling terrain.

I absolutely loved this trek!!! I thoroughly enjoyed my hiking partners for the day. I would like to thank Teva for putting this trip together, what a great one. We sought and we conquered, Wahoo.

I would not recommend this as a day hike unless you are extremely hard core or you will end up in trouble. Also don’t count on there being as much water in the Canyon as there was this time. Teva had done the upper and lower ends previously and was amazed at what he was seeing water wise and plant growth wise.
Rain does work wonders in the desert!

PS: We saw some elk on the way out.

Pictures to come.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/22/2003, 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am looking forward to your photographs on your visit, I left my camara at home on my last visit to Woods Canyon, but after reviewing your trip log I visited another Woods Canyon.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 6/22/2003, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It really was an incredible hike, even though I wasn't in the best physical or mental shape for it and it kicked my ass! I would highly recommend taking at least two days to do this trip so you have time to enjoy the picture perfect swimming pools and surroundings. There were many suitable camping spots, just begging us to return for a stay. Also, there is total solitude to enjoy - we didn't encounter a single person the entire day - just turkeys, snakes, lizards, birds, one cow, and yes, I finally saw my elk on the drive out! The highlights were certainly the narrows and the pools. I completely enjoyed the narrows that we had to swim through, and would love to do trips that involve more swimming! It helped that the water temperature wasn't nearly as cold as I'd feared - I even stayed in longer than necessary, swimming around and enjoying it. Finally, after all the canyons I've hiked, swimming through some narrows makes me feel like a real Canyoneer! Mr. Green Thanks for organizing this trip Joe, and for letting me come along!
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 6/22/2003, 4:53 pm    Post subject: WoW!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am soooo envious! This Saturday work stuff gets old when I hear of these incredible treks! That must be a complete wonderland with all the pools! Thanks for the writeup and pics!! Awesome!! Good job, guys!! Wink
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/22/2003, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://hikearizona.com/photocodeZOOM.php?ID=727&TNI=155

Here are a few pics. You may need to use your scroll bars to view them in if u don't have a large monitor. I just posted a few as pfredricks has also posted some and I'm sure Joe will too.
Nealz

PostPosted: 6/26/2003, 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW! That looks like a great trip. I peeked at all the photos at HAZ. This is just one more instance of hike-envy. I've thought about this one for some time, now I gotta do it. Thanks for the report and pix.

-Nealz
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/26/2003, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nealz it is indeed a great trip you will enjoy it immensley Yes
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/28/2003, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys did it again! Great hike! Again, I wish I coulda been there! I will have to go look for pfredricks pics too. You are the blessed ones!

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: