ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Summertime Desert Hikers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who hikes in the heat?
I hike in the heat
60%
 60%  [ 23 ]
Not me- I go North or dormant
39%
 39%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 38

DesertDog

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 9:21 am    Post subject: Summertime Desert Hikers Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am curious as to how many of us desert residents continue to hike here in the summer months.
PageRob

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hike during the summer in hot places, but I'm not sure if I skew the results since I'm already Up North.
DesertDog

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

PageRob wrote:
I hike during the summer in hot places, but I'm not sure if I skew the results since I'm already Up North.

OK- I struck the "Sonoran" from my intial post.

In retrospect, I guess it would have been more articulate to submit "cooler climes" in place of "North". Smile
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll play golf in 110 degrees riding my cart with ice cooler next to me, but no way will I hike in that kinda heat.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Suz

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
no way will I hike in that kinda heat.

It's the perfect time for Yep, it's a swimmer! Hiking
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Water hikes are great in the summer time, I love em!

I want to shine!
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I don't have the time to head north, I will hike in the heat - up to a point. I get out at the break of dawn (or earlier) and try to finish before 11:00. I try to avoid the heat of the day. I won't hike if the forecast is for temps above 115degrees. I've also found that my max is 5 hours when the forecast is for temps above 105degrees. Anything longer than 5 hours in a 105 forecast and I can't rehydrate or replenish electrolytes as fast as I lose them. I can really feel the effects. I will also hike at night, although I've learned to slow down and watch for buzzworms. But it seems to stay warm in Phoenix even into the evenings. I've been here most of my life and this "heat island" effect seems to be getting worse. I do remember what it felt like when we hit 122degrees. You really couldn't do anything in that heat.

I agree with Hooli - I will play golf above 110degrees Rolling Eyes . Kierland has "air conditioned" golf carts that are incredible. The current system only seems to last about 3 1/2 hours which is usually about 15 holes Mad. They say the new system which will use block ice instead of cubes will last more than 18holes. The only problem is that I won't drink beer while playing golf in the heat. Sad

QED - Golfers are crazier than hikers. Exclamation I think we need a crazy golfer emoticon. rofl
cakewalk

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love the heat and hike in the dead of the afternoon.... I just take lots of water and keep the trips short and managable..

Extra water gets poured over the head.. feels good.
DesertDog

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm slightly surpised by the percentage of those who will get out there in the heat (my surprise is tempered with the knowledge that most on here are a bit more hard-core than the average hiker).

The majority of my friends who hike fit roughly the same profile as al1inaz- early starts and finishes (though not too many of them will do 5 hours!).

I can't recruit any of them for a mid-day hike up Camelback or Picacho between late April and early October....... Say What?
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Superstition hikes draw me no matter what the temps or time of year. But once it's above 100-110, my body weight/fitness level requires 100 ozs for three hours. A basic reserve is 100% so 200 ozs is necessary for me for three hours. How many hikes in the supes are three hours round trip? Not many, so do the math, and if you're out for six hours, you're carrying more than 400 ozs. That's close to 25 lbs of water. You can approach the backside of the curve of diminishing returns carrying that weight. So be careful. Every year it get's more "toasty" out there.

Also, electrolytes are a whole sep topic, but really crucial, if you do summer desert hikes. Be safe, but get out there!

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
DesertDog

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JW wrote:
Superstition hikes draw me no matter what the temps or time of year. But once it's above 100-110, my body weight/fitness level requires 100 ozs for three hours. A basic reserve is 100% so 200 ozs is necessary for me for three hours. How many hikes in the supes are three hours round trip? Not many, so do the math, and if you're out for six hours, you're carrying more than 400 ozs. That's close to 25 lbs of water. You can approach the backside of the curve of diminishing returns carrying that weight. So be careful. Every year it get's more "toasty" out there.

Also, electrolytes are a whole sep topic, but really crucial, if you do summer desert hikes. Be safe, but get out there!

I love the heat and have wanted to do a summer overnighter in the Supes for quite a while, but I can't carry enough water for a decent trip.

Do any of the springs out there produce water perennially?
IGO

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I voted no but that was because I have a 12,000 mountain right up the road from me with many trails on it. When the temps hit 110 I don't go up there either because I prefer to hike in temps less than 80 degrees and when it goes over 110 here the trailheads on Charleston start to hit 90.
Still, if enough time passes and I want to get out bad enough, I'd find a pebble wash at Lake Mead with minimal elevation change and I'd put on light cloths and carry 2 gallons and darned tootin' I'd hike at 110 degrees. But under normal circumstances I'd just take a week-end of to get some chores done.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I voted no, too, but I used to do creek hikes in the summer around Tucson. I would have a good time swimming with my kids at Romero Pools, Hutch's Pool, Sabino or 7 Falls, or I would climb Mt. Kimball, starting extremely early when it was cool, but back to trailhead in the heat. I virtually always got a migraine headache later in the day, though. I have a tendency to get them, (especially when I was younger) and that was before Imitrex self-injections, which I now have. My husband finally asked me one evening, as I was lying in bed moaning after one of those hikes, a most reasonable question, "Why do you keep doing this to yourself?"

All that being said I am signed up for Dreams Are Works' Aravaipa hike on Sept. 9. Hope they don't have to carry me out of there on a stretcher! I will roll in the water frequently, trust me! Also will bring the Imitrex and Maxalt! And lots of Gatorade, sunscreen, etc. I have learned some coping skills over the years.
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Night hikes!
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/17/2006, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done a few of those. I'm not a night person, though, so it's a rare occasion, although I have enjoyed them in the past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: