ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mt Humphreys this Sat at 8am
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/18/2003, 6:56 am    Post subject: Mt Humphreys this Sat at 8am Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not much new on this...

Please chime in if your going to make the trip.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/18/2003, 10:21 pm    Post subject: hike and such this Saturday Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar is already camped out. He's 3 and 2/10ths miles up FR 151 from 180. He's camped on the left side of 151 about 60' - 70' from the road, facing 151. The rest of us are planning on going up Friday evening to camp and leaving sometime Sunday.

I'm in.
Catvalet and Valet2 are in.
paintinaz may be in.

Who else?

GTG
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/19/2003, 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got back from 2 nites up north near Flag and Sunset Crater...and want to let anyone that might be tent camping know to bring their fleece and mummy bag...it got down to 38 degrees Tuesday nite.... yikes!...which is a bit of a change for us valley dwellers. I was prepared and I like the cool weather, so needless to say, I was a happy camper Razz . I noticed quite abit of snow still on the back (or north) side of the peaks.. so it should be beautiful at higher elevations. I may have trouble making it, but I am going to try my darndest to drive up early Saturday and meet you all at the trailhead at about 8 am...hope it works out. Smile
Sande J
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 6/19/2003, 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I plan to be there. I have not done any hiking in over a month so I may not make it all the way up-- I will just hike on my own until I poop out and stop.
GTG

PostPosted: 6/19/2003, 2:43 pm    Post subject: weather for Saturday and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

The weather in Flagstaff Saturday is a high of 73 and a low of 39 with isolated thunderstorms. We could get some interesting weather up there on the mountain it sounds like.

GTG
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/19/2003, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: weather for Saturday and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

You're going to scare us off Smile

Noon NWS report for Flagstaff doesn't mention any storms for Sat.

Report makes it sound like a nice day with hiking temp's probably being in the 40-50's to start and finish with temp's in the 60's. (at TH)

Remember to bring some warm clothes & a jacket cause it will be cool/windy at the peak and rain is always possible.
GTG wrote:
The weather in Flagstaff Saturday is a high of 73 and a low of 39 with isolated thunderstorms. We could get some interesting weather up there on the mountain it sounds like.

GTG
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 6/19/2003, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A little tip on heading up the mountain: As soon as you get on the trail you will see another trail heading up right next to the ski lift. TAKE THIS TRAIL!!!!! I cannot emphisize this enouph. It's greener than if you head direcly into the forest. The forest is very dry looking and bland. This trail will join into another that you want to take. If you take it in the direction of the ski lodge you will come across a plaque dedicated to a crew of a B-24 bomber that died in a plane crash on the side of Humphreys Peak. I thot that at least GTG should enjoy this since he's all into taking tons of photos. This route will also save you about 1/2 a mile of hiking. I hope you all take this little variation, its very worth it.

One more thing...BRING THE BUG REPELENT!!!!!!! Cannot stress this enouph. The bugs were eating us alive on the summit last week.
I hope you all have a good trip. I wish I could go with you all.

and one more thing Confused.....The summit log was full last week. Somebody might want to bring a note pad to put in the summit log so you all can sign it and for everybody else that hikes the peak in weeks to come. Smile
Might want to put on top of it, "Courisy o Arizonahikers.com," or something like that. Get our name out a little bit. Very Happy
No telling if the forest rangers would of put more summitlogs up there.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/20/2003, 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry guys - I can't make this one.

That is my mantra for this summer by the way. Seems like it anyway.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
cactuscat

PostPosted: 6/20/2003, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm out, too - I'll be doing the Woods Canyon trip instead.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 6/21/2003, 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went up there--found nobody. I got there just before 8 and a few minutes after 8 I set off by myself--went maybe half a mile to the Weatherford trail sign and headed back down on a loop trail. Weather was great--sorry I missed everyone. I thought later I should have hollered out and not been shy--did not seem like a hollering place.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/21/2003, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mary I was did the same and figured I'd be able to spot the group but there was no one.

I ended up running into 2 other groups I knew on the way to the Peak.

The Peak hike & weather was great and I was home for dinner with the family by 5pm.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/21/2003, 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sam_hikes wrote:
I was home for dinner with the family by 5pm.

That was dinner in Phx on Sat with the family and man was it hot at only 100 degrees Twisted Evil

Guess my body was in shock because temps were in 60's at the end of the hike and in the 40's at the top and start of the hike...Gotta love A/C
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/22/2003, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We got to the parkinglot a little late, but were there by 8:25 and hit the trail at 8:35. 'twas CatValet, Valet2, GTG and me. sorry we missed the others. GTG and I made it to the saddle, but that was it. GTG was at the saddle ahead of me and radioed me that he was waiting. I really hit the wall (as we runners used to say) about 1/4 mile fro the saddle; it was take five steps and rest for several second leaning on my walking stick, the another five steps, etc. Wind was icy cold at the saddle, so I rested for a few minutes and headed down, followed about 10 minutes later by GTG. Glad I did that part, but summit's clearly outta my range! Crying or Very sad
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
GTG

PostPosted: 6/22/2003, 5:38 pm    Post subject: peak trip and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, we got to the parking lot a few minutes late, sorry we missed y'all.

I last tried the peak two years ago and got the same result as evenstar but I stopped short of the peak due to thw wind. This time I had no real problems after getting my Phoenix lungs used to altitiude. I got to the saddle and just sat down and enjoyed the scenery. I'll have to say that Humphreys has turned into Flagstaff's Piestewa Peak. There were at least 200 people up there! We saw at least 20 dogs as well. I got to the saddle, ate lunch, talked with Hooli for a bit and napped a bit before I decided to head back down. I was just happy to be out, I didn't care if I topped it or not.

It was good to be out with Hooli, Dew, Strider and the Valets. Camping out with them was the best part of the trip. Another great trip out with great friends.

On another note the big highlight of the trip for me was putting out a fire on the median on I-17. I'll start another thread for that one though.

GTG
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 6/23/2003, 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you could not make it hoolie Crying or Very sad Looks like you had a good time anyway.

Yes Humphrey peak is quite crowded on the weekends, but if you go midweek you'll only pass about 10-20 people. Unlike Piestewe peak being busy any day of the week.

Maybe since nobody could show we could rescedual this trip later on in the summer Very Happy

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: