ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Richie Rich Vs a Toad......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 5:57 am    Post subject: Richie Rich Vs a Toad...... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Up early this morning intending to play golf, but cancelled; no back pain, but a little tight so will hit the practice tees later today.

Anyway, Rich is outside and I called him in only to be totally ignored; went out and there's something under one of my orange trees that has Rich fascinated and jumpy. Thought it might be a cottontail and didn't want Rich to kill it, so get a flashlight and discovered a good sized toad. Rich is sniffing at it, it jumps and so does Rich....backwards (My brave African hunter! Razz ) I watch this go on a few times, but figure Rich is eventually gonna overcome his nervousness and kill it, so pick Rich up, carry him into the house and lock the dog door. Now Rich is going crazy at the sliding glass door and there's the toad....it had followed us a good 30' and appeared to be attracted to the light coming from my kitchen. All I needed was little sucker coming in the dog door when I opened it, so went out, chased it down and put it in the yard of a neighbor who has no dogs. Will tell her later today and hope she doesn't mind; toad will be good for her yard. Good sized toad, filled my hand but didn't seem to mind the ride too much. Would liked to have kept it in my yard, but didn't want Rich killing it. I do have a pair of good sized alligator lizards living under the Rosemary bush in the front yard. I frequently see them out my front window when I'm at the computer. Pretty cool.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hooli ....you make me laugh with your write up.

Sliver n Skye also are so totally obsessed by toads...and they act quite like what you describe. Except they will expect me to watch the toad with them. Rolling Eyes They both start chattering with me - watch the toad-bark at the toad-try to swat the toad- toad jumps- dogs jump back- dogs chatter at me n' repeat process. I have watched them nose around the toad (no toad damage or dog damage so far) for a few hours ...I am sure it cruelty from toad's perspective!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know about the species of the toad you have but I do know that a tiny little Gila river toad will kill a dog in minutes if the dog gets it in its mouth. This happened to one of the breeding Cairns where Winston came from down near Vail, AZ. The woman was very upset as you could imagine.
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
I don't know about the species of the toad you have but I do know that a tiny little Gila river toad will kill a dog in minutes if the dog gets it in its mouth. This happened to one of the breeding Cairns where Winston came from down near Vail, AZ. The woman was very upset as you could imagine.

I thought of that too, but this was not a tiny toad; and the neighbor's yard is pretty well sealed against cottontails so think the Toad's safe there. Spoke to her a little while ago and she had no problem as long as the toad didn't eat her rose bushes, which I don't think toads do. Would have turned him loose in the front yard, but was afraid he'd get into the street and be killed by a car.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sonoran Desert Toads and Woodhouse Toads (both quite common around here) are poisonous as well...and those Sonoran toads can get pretty big!!

I'd keep dogs away from all toads around here just to play it safe.

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would have never even thought about poisenous toads. Are there any poisenous desert birds? Emma seems to catch one in the backyard every month or so.
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

paintninaz wrote:
Sonoran Desert Toads and Woodhouse Toads (both quite common around here) are poisonous as well...and those Sonoran toads can get pretty big!!

I'd keep dogs away from all toads around here just to play it safe.

Checked photos of both toads and didn't look like this one. Particularly noticed it had very long toes and the toads in the photos seem to have shorter ones. But I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
I would have never even thought about poisenous toads. Are there any poisenous desert birds? Emma seems to catch one in the backyard every month or so.

Wonder if all the poisoned baits for pigeons impact dogs -- I am sure if a poisoned pigeon were to fall out o the sky -- dogs will be dogs ... Shocked
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Neighbor dog got a toad once and his head doubled in size from swelling. I'd be safe and keep all toads away from them.
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 1:18 pm    Post subject: toads and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Checked photos of both toads and didn't look like this one. Particularly noticed it had very long toes and the toads in the photos seem to have shorter ones. But I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

Sounds like the spadefoot toad to me -

Have you had some measurable rain recently out there on the ranch? It will bring them out.

GTG
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: toads and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like the spadefoot toad to me -

Have you had some measurable rain recently out there on the ranch? It will bring them out.

GTG

Yep, that's the dude; the irrigation for the citrus ran during the night.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Didja Kiss it? Sometimes they turn into a Princess ya know...
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:

I hear licking them can be fun too. Toads that is.

GTG
heather

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have never heard of a poisonous frog. Someone told me that every spider is poisonous to a point. Don't know if they were pulling my leg or not, haven't looked into it yet. Do you guys know?
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/7/2006, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:

GTG and Stan are comin'' over tomorrow a.m. to fix the TV in the Motorhome; saved it for them to kiss/lick....or they can kiss this Moon which i guaranty won't turn into a princess! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: