ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Full Moon Backpack Black Top Mesa
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/14/2003, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Full Moon Backpack Black Top Mesa Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome, rejuvenating, spectacular………

Thursday night, Jmzblond and Arizonaheat, were discussing where they should hike this weekend. When it was all said and done they decided on an impromptu full moon backpack to the top of Black Top Mesa, in the Supes, with a late Friday afternoon departure time. They met at the usual meeting spot, stopped by the Submaster in AJ, for a quick bite, then were off to First Water Trailhead..

We were the only vehicle at the Trailhead, so we had the Supes to ourselves. Pure solitude. We were on the trail shortly after 5:00. The Dutchman was our trail of choice for the inbound trip. We made our way up the Dutchman, past where it intersects with the Black Mesa Trail, then continued a very short distance to the intersection of the Bull Pass Trail where we departed the Dutchman. We departed from the Bull Pass Trail to make our ascent to the top of Black Top Mesa. The ascent to the Mesa is the most grueling part of the trip but the rewards reaped from the summit are more than worth the effort.

As we were on our final leg to the summit we were greeted by an ultra-spectacular rising of the full moon in the east and an equally spectacular sunset in the west, with Weavers Needle looming in the southeast being illuminated by both the rising moon and the last rays of the setting sun. The Needle loomed like a sentinel overlooking the wilderness. It was sensory nirvana. The Nature Spirit had truly outdone themselves.

From atop the Mesa we had a magnificent 360 view taking in such things as Palomino Mtn, Bluff Spring Mountain, parts of La Barge Box, Dutchman, Black Mesa, Boulder Canyon, Peralta & Terrapin trails, several side canyons…………. After taking in the views, we found a great vantage point to set up camp. Then it was time to focus on the night sky and the spectacular full moon.

The full moon loomed in the sky shining in full brilliance. It was so bright we were casting shadows of ourselves, could read a book and could easily point out surrounding landmarks. It was almost too bright to look at without sunglasses.( not an exaggeration) The moon was looming so low in the horizon it was as if we could walk right into it, or reach out and touch it.

We were awestruck by what the Nature Spirit was serving up. We soon found a calm and serenity enveloping our bodies and souls. We were becoming one with the Superstition Spirit, she was opening her heart drawing us in as she has so many before us. I have often wondered if pioneers like Jacob Waltz, Adolph Ruth, Elijah Reavis, Big Nose Kate, Old man Ayolr, the Peralta Clan …….. were lured by the prospect of gold, or were lured by the magic of the Mountain that comes to those that have the passion, and used the search for gold as an excuse to follow their passion and live where they felt they truly belonged. You wouldn’t believe what happened next so I will stop here.

This morning around 4:20 AM we watched a truly spectacular moonset in the west, then it was time to make our way to the eastern edge of the Mesa where we took in the views while waiting for the sunrise. After the sun came up, we explored the Mesa for a couple of hours and were able to locate the Spanish Hieroglyphics. We tried to decipher what the hidden maps meant. I won’t reveal the location of the maps as they need protected and have suffered some defacing from those that don’t respect anything.

We broke camp and were on our way out shortly after 7:00 AM. For the return trip we followed the Dutchman to Black Mesa Trail, we then took the Black Mesa Trail up and over Black Mesa ( different than Black Top Mesa), through the Cholla Forest and into Garden Valley. We spent a short time exploring the Indians Ruins in Garden Valley and the Canal system they had built to bring water to their ruins. Someone had laid out a nice display of relics at one of the ruin sites. From here we hopped on the spur trail that returns to First Water Trailhead via Hackberry Spring Trail. A totally awesome hike.

True to form we found ourselves venturing off trail toward the end of our journey following an interesting drainage. When we took a fix on my truck with the GPS we cut cross country where I was attacked by a renegade cholla, causing some severe pain, but that is all part of the game. Our trek cross country took us to an old and interesting ranch site. An extra bonus. Then it was off to our watering hole the Bluebird Mine Store for cold liquid refurbishment.

[/b]
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 6/14/2003, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its difficult to say anything more than Kent already did, but I will add this...

WOW!!

I have been wanting to do this overnighter for more than a year now, and it was well worth it!! I totally loved the whole experience!!

Here is the link to my photos of our adventure...
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jmzblond/slideshow?.dir=/Full+Moon+Adventure&.view=t

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/14/2003, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

WOW!!

Pretty much covers it!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/14/2003, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Incredible!!!!!

I want to shine!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/14/2003, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great photo's Jaimi, maybe next time I will remember my memory card for my camera Rolling Eyes Actually I forgot it on purpose so we will have to do it again so I can get some pics too. Mr. Green
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/14/2003, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you folks observe the crested saguaro before you dropped off of Garden Valley to Hackberry Springs ? I was thinking on doing this trip but I opted for a night mtn. bike ride East of Queen Valley along the Rogers Trough/Woodbury Trailhead road. Glad you enjoyed the hike, a little more then a thir of my hikes are at night.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/14/2003, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The word "envious" comes to mind! Mr. Green

Way Cool Way Cool

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 6/14/2003, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bravo!! Ok
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Full Moon Backpack Black Top Mesa Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:

I was attacked by a renegade cholla,

OK Jaimi....We want all the juicy details Rolling Eyes Any purple or lace Question Shocked
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Out of respect for my hiking partner... I will never tell!! Not only that, but there are enough stories floating around about me!! I wouldn't want to fuel any more fires!!

But I will say this... after he rid himself of his attacker, we had merely taken steps when I too was ambushed!! So, in all fairness as you know I am... since he showed me his first, I in turn showed him mine!! Very Happy Something about blue satin comes to mind.... things that make you go... hhhmmmmm

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jmzblond wrote:
Something about blue satin comes to mind.... things that make you go... hhhmmmmm

Oh Man.....these pacemaker batteries are gettin' 'spensive Crazy
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like this trip was several spoonfuls! Wink

Very nice report!
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Something about blue satin comes to mind....

Hey, I never said they were mine!!!!! Crazy

evenstar

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jmzblond wrote:
Quote:

Something about blue satin comes to mind....

Hey, I never said they were mine!!!!! Crazy

Oh My Exclamation Kent Question Question Rolling Eyes
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/15/2003, 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: