ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Seriously depressing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/26/2006, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Seriously depressing Reply to topic Reply with quote

Once again, this summer and the ongoing drought has made this particular forum some of the most depressing reading on the Internet.

Fire season is a real downer.

I wonder what different kinds of hells the policy makers are going through trying to figure out how to deal with current conditions caused by prior policy failures. I am glad I don't have thier jobs right now.

[sigh]

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
IGO

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We've all read it a dozen times but here's a reminder.
Starting around the turn of the last century this country started to hammer down ANY forest fires. That was the policy for 70 or 80 years. Often times I think "How beautiful" a natural understory is but indeed these understorys are not natural.
If one of your (anybody and everybody) favorite forest burns, do not dispair. Walk in anyway. Veiws open up and watching what happens as it comes back around is a wonderful thing. Don't dispare foks.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Amen Robert, its all natural.

The fire seasons of the early 1900's were horrific, and tragic, the resulting policies while ultimately wrong, are understandable. We're all learning.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very good point Robert! Just hard to hold onto when you are watching it happen and it is taking away all your hiking possibilities...

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shows to go you how dangerous emotionalism can be. Study up on botany, ecology, fire adaptation, etc.

Sure it looks ugly to us after it's burned, we are programmed to see beauty only in certain ways.

I've been mtn. biking a couple times in the Rodeo-Chediski burn. I have never seen so many wildflowers! Also lots of young Gambels Oak and other trees. Lots more fresh green forage for the deer, elk and other critters. They love it! Why don't we?
PageRob

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh my goodness, yeah. The spring after a wildfire there will be more flowers than you can believe! Gamble oak, and eventually (depending on elevation) aspens. All those beautiful aspen groves that are so wonderful to hike through are basically the last stage in a burned area before the pines push them out.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Like I said, prior policy decisions have created the current situation.

Mother nature knows best, we just don't have the knowledge to do any better, and usually end up doing much, much worse.

[sigh]

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The bark beetles are helping a lot with this year’s decisions. There are many dead trees all over just waiting. These have only appeared in the last few years. Some of these storms can have a few thousand lightning strikes and that fuel will accommodate. We have a lot of burning to go. Natural or not, I always find the big fires depressing as well.

That said, we did see some stunning wildflowers in a smaller burn area in the White Mountains recently.
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For what it's worth, it's raining like crazy here.... I love the smell of rain, the cool breeze, the rumble of thunder off in the distance, the flash of lightning, and the concern of how I'm going to get home on my motorcycle without drowning.... Silly

I knew that if I kept riding my cycle to work I would eventually bring rain. Works every time... Agree
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From what I understand we're kind of in the middle of a really vicious cycle. The bark beetle normally wouldn't be able to kill a tree that easily, but the drought has weakened the trees to the point where they can't defend against them. Then, the drought has dried up all the ground cover to the point where you might as well have just spread lighter fluid on the ground, and you top it off with generally unhealthy forests that haven't had a good burn come in and clean them out for a while - it has all just added up.

Now the fires are no longer "clensing" - they're so hot they're closer to "sterilizing" - so what would normally be a "healthy" fire is now a killing fire.

Like I said - I'm glad I'm not a policy maker for land management right now.

- Abraham Lincoln
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
I knew that if I kept riding my cycle to work I would eventually bring rain. Works every time... Agree

I think if everyone here would "collectively" wash their vehicles, we may just coax more in. And yes, motorsicles are included... oh wait, yours was probably already cleansed well today.
IGO

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can you imagine how reduced the Bark Beetle population is in a burned forest? Like 0.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
For what it's worth, it's raining like crazy here.... I love the smell of rain, the cool breeze, the rumble of thunder off in the distance, the flash of lightning, and the concern of how I'm going to get home on my motorcycle without drowning.... Silly

Great news about the rain Hank. Looks possible here as well.
Hey, what kinda motorcycle do you ride? I ride as well.
IGO

PostPosted: 6/27/2006, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG wrote:

oh wait, yours was probably already cleansed well today.

Doah!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/28/2006, 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There have been scattered thundershowers in the White Mtns. for the past several days. Hopefully that ol' monsoon machine is trying to get started!

Meanwhile, the closures in the A Bar S (Apache-Sitgreaves) are not extensive, but they do include Mt. Baldy. Shouldn't last long, hopefully will re-open middle of July.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: