ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
World's largest saguaro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 5:29 am    Post subject: World's largest saguaro Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Cactus near Verde River is 46 feet tall

Quote:
HORSESHOE LAKE - The Grand One - the world's largest known saguaro - was a seedling near the Verde River about the time Lewis and Clark set off to explore the West in 1804.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/0604sr-saguaro04Z8.html

Saw this in the AZRepublic site this morning. Looks like a must see before some moron tries to cut it down with a shotgun for firewood. An interesting fact I learned was that they weigh 85 pounds per foot. Wow.

GTG
Nealz

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm... Like AZ's highest peaks, I wonder if sombody has a 'top ten' list of largest saguaros. I haven't seen the one mentioned near Horseshoe Lake but the one on Coffee Flat Trail in the Supes would be a strong contender. I know that one has more arms than the Horseshoe geezer and I'd guess it's close to the same height. I hazily remember that a magazine, I think it was the now defunct Arizona Adventures, held a contest to find the tallest/largest saguaro. Anybody remember the story about the guy who was shooting at a saguaro until it fell over and killed him? Rolling Eyes That was about ten years ago I think.

-Nealz
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=5018

They have never seen this one, it has 57 or so arms and is every bit as wide around the base. I will have to measure it, and try to determine a height out of curiosity.

I have heard that story and think that perfect justice was served.
Nealz

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
They have never seen this one.

Yup, that's the one. I've never seen one bigger'n that fella. Since cactus don't produce growth rings like trees, I wonder how they accurately gauge the age of 'em? I've heard some sketchy arm-counting techniques but local growth conditions would skew those results too.

Yeah, as far as justice being served, I'm inclined to agree. Mature saguaros can weigh several tons. It'd be like an Excursion or Hummer fell on you Shocked I don't think he knew what hit him. Yikes.

-Nealz
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nealz, I recall an article in either "Get Out" or "Arizona Adventures" about a saguaro that was the State Co-Champion. Best I remember, that cactus was somewhere in the southwestern Superstition Wilderness. It could've been either the one you mention along the Coffee Flat trail, or the one in Arizonaheat's photo. There is also a very large saguaro in the the drainage below the Dutchman Trail, at the base of Miner's Needle. You can see it as you're making your way uphill from the Coffee Flat junction to Miner's Summit.

A bit of Arizona Adventures trivia... that magazine had a contest feature where they would show a photo from somewhere in Az, along with several clues. The first couple of people who mailed in the correct answer as to where the photo was would win a t-shirt. I won the contest once, the correct answer was "Aztec Peak" in the Sierra Anchas. Mr. Green Still have the tshirt. That had to have been at least 6 years ago.
Nealz

PostPosted: 6/5/2003, 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
The first couple of people who mailed in the correct answer as to where the photo was would win a t-shirt. I won the contest once, still have the tshirt. That had to have been at least 6 years ago.

Mike, what a coinkydink! I won one of those too, and still have the t-shirt to prove it. My photo ID was one at Pine creek near Mt. Ord.

I've seen the monster saguaro you mentioned at the start of Dutchman's Trail as well, it's a bigg'n too. I wonder how many other unknown giants are out there in spots where there is no road or trail access at all. Hmmm.

-Nealz
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 6/5/2003, 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yo Nealz--Vann from Albuquerque is looking for you to invite you to dinner in Phx-- next week I think. MP
Nealz

PostPosted: 6/5/2003, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well shucks, I'd enjoy that. Thanks, Mary for the FYI. I'll contact Vann. Take care.

-Nealz
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/8/2003, 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=5018

They have never seen this one, it has 57 or so arms and is every bit as wide around the base. I will have to measure it, and try to determine a height out of curiosity..

I accidentally stumbled on to this one in March...Its an Awesome sight and very cool.

I had a picture of this one & was able to share it with my trip mates and Sherpas on my recent hike in the Everest region. I was glad to have such a fine specimen to show rather than the poles that you see around town Sad
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/9/2003, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I recall my information correctly there is some dispute between two different cactuses as to which is the world record holder for largest Saguaro.

One is in the Saguaro national momument. That was the old record holder and was pictured in the Guiness Book of World Records for something like 20 years.

However, around about 5 -10 years ago I read a report that someone had stumbled on a saguaro that was estimated to beat the old record holder by something like 1 or 2% all around. I forget the location, but it was somewhere in southern AZ (south of Phoenix), and they would not disclose the exact location for fear of destruction by morons.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
plummer150

PostPosted: 6/12/2003, 12:41 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats incredible!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/12/2003, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Thats incredible!

Good show back in the day as I recall....

Real People was more fun though.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
cactusjoe

PostPosted: 6/22/2003, 12:03 am    Post subject: top 10 largest saguaro's Reply to topic Reply with quote

See this web site for the list of 13 largest saguaro's according to the National Register of Big Trees and the Arizona Register of big trees.
http://www.angelffire.com/folk/cactusjoe/cactus.html.
See http://www.angelfire.com/folk/cactusjoe/hsl2.html for Photo's that channel 3 used on the largest saguaro story.
cactusjoe

PostPosted: 6/24/2003, 9:34 pm    Post subject: They never saw this one Reply to topic Reply with quote

regarding http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=5018
Take a look at http://www.angelfire.com/folk/cactusjoe/tontonf1.html
Top sure looks like the same one to me.
This one is the smallest of the list of 13.
As I am looking for more photo's of these saguaro's, may I add your photo to the tontonf1.html page?
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/25/2003, 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cactus Joe, yes it is indeed the same one. It really surprised me that it is number 13 on the list, but it does have the most arms. I'm gonna take some insturments and measure that baby next time I pass by.

Yes I would be happy to have you add it to the tonto1.html page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: