ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
West Boulder Saddle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/3/2003, 7:01 pm    Post subject: West Boulder Saddle Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did a hike to West Boulder Saddle today after work, Departed Carney Spring Trail-head around 2:15 and made my ascent to the false saddle then West Boulder Saddle, made excellent time for me, 45 minutes. This hike is only 1.8 miles each way, but has about 1500 ft of elevation gain so it is a good workout. For those who have never been it is a lot like Siphon Draw. There is debate about which is tougher.

The heat didn't seem bad, although it was around 110. Found some shade at the Saddle and there was a nice breeze blowing. Hung out up top for awhile reflecting on all the great hikes I have done this season
off this trail, with great hiking partners: Superstition Peak, Superstition Ridge-line, Dacite Super Loop, West Boulder Canyon all the way to First Water (most memorable).

It was difficult to return the way I came with all those other options calling me, but I only took 100 oz of water, so I had no other options. Wink
Per usual my visit to the Supes was great medicine for the mind and soul. I will spare the details.

Tried calling someone from the Saddle but they wouldn't answer their phone Laughing Laughing (smart person)
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some of us have to work during normal business hours!!! And why is it that everyone wants to call me while they're out hiking and I'm stuck working??? Am I the only one that views this as cruel and unusual punishment?? Of course I ignored my phone... you tease!!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As info, the forest service is planning to install a gate at the mine located near Carney Springs.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
As info, the forest service is planning to install a gate at the mine located near Carney Springs.

Followed the Carney Springs trail as part of the Ridgeline hike but where's the mine? Also did see any springs Chin Scratching so Carney Springs must be dry Question
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jmzblond wrote:
Some of us have to work during normal business hours!!! And why is it that everyone wants to call me while they're out hiking and I'm stuck working??? Am I the only one that views this as cruel and unusual punishment?? Of course I ignored my phone... you tease!!!

No one's ever called me from the trail while I was at work, but I called my boss last fall from Freemont Saddle. He had left a message on my cellphone, trying to find some software he thought might be on my desk. Since he's also a hiker, I rubbed it in. Wink
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I can only speak for myself, but I call you because no one else will give me their number, let alone put up with me Laughing Laughing Laughing
fritzski

PostPosted: 9/3/2003, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Carney Springs has been dry for many years although you can still see the concrete and stone fountain with a pipe that someone built most likely for the picnic area that used to be enjoyed there many decades ago - this according to an old member of the Dons Club. The rancher that curently operates the Quarter Cir U (that includes the Carney area) told me that the reason most of the old springs in the Supes are dry is that they require regular maintenance, and since most cattle operations have ceased, they've long gone into disrepair.

Evidently there is a mine shaft somewhere up in the canyon. I've heard numerous references to it, but despite keeping an eye out, I've never located it. The mine Nighthiker may be referring to could be the Dacite Mine. It would make sense - I'm surprised it wasn't dynamited like most others within the WA. It is easily accessed off an old jeep trail that spurs right off the Carney road and up to the base of the main cliff. A couple of years ago the forest service had to go in there and clean up a huge mess left behind by someone who had obviously been living in there for some time. After that, they took a great deal of effort to camoflage the last part of the trail from where it crosses the new Lost Goldmine Tr. and the barbed wire fence -on up to the mine, but you could still pick it out pretty easily.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/3/2003, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The forest service plans on installing a gate at the entrance to the mine.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/3/2003, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
The forest service plans on installing a gate at the entrance to the mine.

the question is which mine and its location
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/4/2003, 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Carney Springs Mine or the Dacite Mine.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/4/2003, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would say it has to be the Dacite Mine. I have talked to people that go exploring in there. It goes back in quite a distance.

They wouldn't waste their money on the Carney Springs Mine as hardly anyone knows where it is located.

Sheesh now you got me wanting to do the Ridgeline again. Please tell the heat and humidity to slack off Laughing
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 9/5/2003, 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
Sheesh now you got me wanting to do the Ridgeline again. Please tell the heat and humidity to slack off Laughing

Ridgeline sounds like a blast...Been on my list to do from the State Park and come down thru Hieroglyphic (sp?) Canyon.

Maybe we can get Sid to finally join us.
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 9/5/2003, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Sheesh now you got me wanting to do the Ridgeline again. Please tell the heat and humidity to slack off

Count me in... I need to start hiking again. I've taken too much time off this summer. All we need now is when.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/5/2003, 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some of the folks at the forest service think the Dacite Mine and Carney Springs Mine are the same.
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 9/6/2003, 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would like to do the ridgeline from the west side, through o'grady canyon and out at hieroglyphic canyon. It looks do-able on a map, but I've never heard of anyone actually going that way. Anyone ever been?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: