ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Finally saw a wolf
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nealz

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Finally saw a wolf Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Mexican Grey Wolf has been reintroduced throughout The Blue and Alpine areas in eastern Arizona about six years ago. The packs have been slowly increasing in both population and range. I have heard 'em around Alpine, seen both sign and an elk cow kill on the property, and last evening, saw one in the flesh at the edge of the meadow just in the trees. This would be about forty feet from the house. What a treat! It was twilight and I could not tell the gender but from the size, I'm going to guess it was a male. He or she skedaddled into the woods before I could get either my field glasses or a camera.

I was tipped-off by my the maniacal barking of my idiot dog, another equally territorial canine, who wanted nothing more than to chase the wolf off.

The whole reintroduction program http://www.fws.gov/ifw2es/mexicanwolf/ is not without controversy and everybody around here has an opinion, pro or con, about wolves. Still, to actually spot one, is rare and from my perspective, really exciting.

-Nealz
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Neal How are you?

My daughters and I saw one just east of Sheeps Crossing almost three years ago to the day. It was very pretty and seemed to me to have a thicker coat than in pictures that I've seen. Maybe that's because when I first got a glimpse of it I thought it was a coyote. Only took an instant to dispell that thought though.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I heard a pack howling during the night when we were camping at Terry Flat a few years ago. It would be very cool to see one!
Nealz

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
Hey Neal How are you?

Just dandy, thanks. Seems like years since I last posted here... maybe it has been.

From what I hear from my Forest Service Biologist neighbor, the wolves get a winter coat and a summer coat, not much different from domestic dogs, if mine is any example. The one I saw looked 'thick' as well.

I keep hoping someone will discover that dog hair has better insulating and lofting properties than 900-fill goose down. I'll be a rich man.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

LMAO--nice to see you Neal--Mary
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very very cool. Have you heard of a grizzly bear in the area as well ?
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw my first wolf backpacking the Cabin Loop trail on the rim a few years ago. It was a very exciting moment for me. I watched him run up a hill and slowly walk the ridgeline while he kept his eyes on us. He blended in so well, if I hadn't seen him move, I might have missed him altogether. Nature can be so awesome! Mary
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wow mary, maybe i saw the same wolf, on the cabin trail about 1 mile down H.B. from Pinchot cabin. wonderful creature indeed.

what i do
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is so cool, I think you are right Mike! Mary
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/10/2006, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker: Have heard of a remnant griz population in the South San Juans, but nothing in the eastern AZ or Gila NM areas. Doubt there are any left in the Sierra Madre either.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/11/2006, 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I read a book about that remnant griz population. The Lost Grizzlies, by Rick Bass.

I talked to Game and Fish one time about the wolves, their management headaches. I said to them, "Well, now you've got the wolves almost established, how about a grizzly bear?" One of the guys answered, "They start talking about grizzly bears, that's when I'm going to retire from this job!"

Have you read A Sand County Almanac, by Aldo Leopold? It is considered one of the basic books of the environmental movement, originally published in 1966. You can usually find a whole stack of used copies at Bookman's. There is an essay in that book about the last grizzly bear in Arizona, Old Bigfoot, which lived on Escudilla Mountain. Worth reading.
Nealz

PostPosted: 5/11/2006, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
Have you heard of a grizzly bear in the area as well ?

I really doubt there's griz around here, although there is one old curmudgeon... not naming names, in Nutrioso who swears he's seen tracks. My gut sez it's an urban, or rural myth on a par with Bigfoot and the Locke Ness monster. Although if Game & Fish were to consider reintroducing grizzly in Arizona, the far eastern Apache-Sitgreaves NF would be a likely site. Plenty of high-lonesome, and unpopulated, and protected areas around here.
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 5/11/2006, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is cool Nealz Wink ....nice that you are enjoying the benefits of your place out there. Razz
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/11/2006, 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't think it was a resident but a visitor from NM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: