ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Because it is all art to me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Because it is all art to me Reply to topic Reply with quote

Crossing the Colorado River is the first step to the places I wanted to explore on this day. To the north of the bridge is Glen Canyon Dam, which took over five million cubic yards of concrete make up the dam and power plant, enough they say, to build a four-lane highway stretching from Phoenix, Arizona to Chicago, Illinois. It is 350’ thick at the base and 25’ thick at the top and 700' high. I don’t know but I’ve been told that the concrete in the center is still curing after being completed in 1964. The nameplate capacity of it’s power output is 1,296,000 kilowatts. Glen Canyon Bridge is the second highest steel-arch bridge in the United States and that is what I stand on to take this photo.

The easiest way to the river on the opposite side of Page would be through the power station. I actually did that years ago but nowadays, well, everyone is aware of nowadays and power plants. You can’t even stop at the Visitors Center at the Dam to take a leak with any hardware in your pockets.

I had measured time so my gait was quick from town to the bridge and on up into the hills beyond. When I came to the last fence line for the power plant, I cut into the desert and angled out toward the river. I found a cave on the way and the floor was deep with sand and scree. It is set up about 20 feet off the desert floor with pockmarks in the sandstone for footholds. I am quite sure this was used but I have other targets and move on.

The Dams power is sent to many places so you always cross a few transmission lines on a hike in this area which go for hundreds of miles. I had some flashbacks under this tower.

I am not revolted at the sight of the marks of man because I choose to see them differently, unlike the unkind angle that some others often find. However, this is not particularly what I seek out here. Eventually, if you are willing to go far enough, you do find what you are looking for, a world with a good place to sit, a stunning view and a few moments to drink, rest and take it all in. No trails out here, no tourists and no RV’s. Your boots get you in and your boots get you out. Out here, you are off the radar. This is what I came for but I appreciate all the unexpected things throughout the journey just as much.

As they were a thousand years ago for someone else, the details are all around me. Though my turnaround time is drawing near, which I usually go over, I take the time to observe. Ancient cross bedding in the stone which used to be sand dunes fascinate me much more so than that far-out tower.

The structures of a single leaf against the ancient sandstone captivate me more so than the monster Dam.

Getting out to a place is mostly never too difficult. The getting back for prior commitments is the challenge. Speed is what I need but by now my focus is developed into its own rhythm and it is hard to move with the speed I am going to need. I will have to make it up miles later in the walk but that is something that will have to take care of itself. For now, I am away and in a place I want to be.

Postscript; my GPS batteries were not the only power to die on me and that was my fault. I had not charged my camera batteries either and the spare was way down. I shot away anyway and changed the memory card once. The second card with 74 images was corrupted data because of the insufficient battery I suppose. I downloaded PhotoRescue and was able to recover everything, even some previously erased images from previous trips. That cost me 29 bucks but now I have the software for “what if’ it happens again. I didn’t get lost in the falling light and the image files were recovered. It’s all good.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Love the pics as usual Glen, especially the power line tower.
IGO

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love the staircase country.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glen, is your left boot lace frayed??

Shades
paintninaz

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wonderful Photos Glen!! Thanks!! Agree

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG wrote:
Glen, is your left boot lace frayed??

Shades

Yessir, but I am going to fix that pronto. Thanks for the impeteus. Mr. Green

This was a good one Paint. Those towers are huge Tim. IGO, Staircase country is my place. Very Happy
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

is there an aglet store somewhere??

what i do
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike, I just trimmed it and melted the tip a bit and shaped it to a point. That will work for now. The laces are still in fairly good condition so I'll just keep on going.
Cholla

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really like the photo of your legs hanging over the edge. Neat effect. May I borrow it? Smile
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You may! Mr. Green Thanks.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/2/2006, 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lovely pictures and a great write-up. Thanks for sharing Smile
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 4/3/2006, 9:10 am    Post subject: art Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awsome photos Glen!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/3/2006, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Exquisite pictures. So beautiful. Thank you for sharing both the pics and the feelings where you were. I could feel myself there while gazing at the photos.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
BoyNhisDog

PostPosted: 4/3/2006, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ambika, Kurt and Michelle, thank you for the kind words. Soon the tourist season will arrive and my season for using Page as a fuel/rest stop will come to an end until late Fall returns. Every year I cherish the months when I want to go to a near ghost town and practically have the place to myself.

It is some powerful, motivational terrain. There are many places that lay not far from town which have not been seen by many people. Most collect at the same places over and over which is fine but there is so much more.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 4/3/2006, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for a taste of the red rock country. It is my home, as soon as I see Navajo mtn and skirt Lake Powell, I know I am there. Soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: