ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
They can really move fast.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mthorne

PostPosted: 3/8/2006, 1:03 pm    Post subject: They can really move fast. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yesterday I was making my way down an unnamed canyon between Black Mesa and Yellow Peak in the Superstitions. As I was making my way down the canyon, I stepped onto a rock and just on the other side I ran into this guy:

It turned itself about at lightning speed, puffed out its belly, and spread its jaw wide - ready to bite. I was really surprised about how fast it could move. I was a bit startled to say the least. Anyway, it was pretty exciting to run into him.

Also, I saw a snake that I am not sure what it was. When I saw it, it was just starting to come out of its hole. When it saw me it drew back into its hole so I couldn't see how long it was. It looked to be a solid gray color. Judging from what I saw of it I would guess it was no longer than 2 feet long. It didn't have an angular head at all. The head was somewhat rounded near its nose. Also, where the head started seemed to just be a continuation of its body. i.e., a distinct head shape (like in rattlers) was not existent. Does anybody have any idea of what type of snake this was, or a good online dataset of pictures to help me try and identify it?

-John Constable (1776 - 1837)
Suz

PostPosted: 3/8/2006, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang, that thing is huge---like a monster!

Great pictures.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/8/2006, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They can be surprisingly fast. HIG & had a small one run right past us on the Ballantine Trail a couple of years ago. I didn't even have time to get a photo, it happened so fast.

I know the canyon you were in, as do a couple other folks on here. Did you hike all the way through?
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/8/2006, 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try this site to help identify the snake you saw: http://www.reptilesofaz.com/herp-snakes.html
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/8/2006, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://members.tripod.com/jrreptile/id89.htm
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 3/8/2006, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I swear I was stalked by a gila monster once...they DO move fast! Mary
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 3/8/2006, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, nice canyon huh!? I had a great time in there!

I want to shine!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 3/8/2006, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They can also climb a block wall. I was sent out to fetch one and found it half way up a block wall. Cool sighting.
mthorne

PostPosted: 3/9/2006, 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the great snake webpages. Unfortunately just based on the head shape I have not yet been able to definatively identify the type of snake, but the closest thing I have seen thus far looks like it may have possibly been a coachwhip.

So, I didn't quite make it all of the way down that canyon. There is a point just before that canyon empties into Boulder Canyon where I left the wash and climbed up on top of Peak 2563. I then dropped back down into Second Water Canyon. There is an old mine pretty close to where 2nd Water Canyon comes up to the 2nd Water Trail. An old hand cart is there and there was a rock near the mine that had '? No. 1' hand painted in white paint on it. In Helen Corbin's book with Kollenborn's map it appears that he has this mine marked, but the name is partially cut off in the upper left hand corner. Does anyone know what the name is?

mthorne

PostPosted: 3/9/2006, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

By the way, the image conjured up of being stalked by a gila monster is pretty amusing. Especially, considering the somewhat awkward way that they lift their legs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: