ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Reavis Ranch Here We Come....Memorial Day Weekend
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
evenstar
PostPosted: 5/7/2003, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reavis Ranch Here We Come....Memorial Day Weekend Reply with quote

Reavis Ranch Backpack......Lots of alternatives; Hike in Friday May 23 and camp one, two or three nights; hike in Saturday and stay one or two nights or make it a day hike, etc. Think everyone who did this back in February will tell you they had a ball regardless of the mud and cold and should be even better conditions this time! I missed it in Feb. but ain't gonna miss it this time.
LET'S DO IT

Nealz

PostPosted: 5/22/2003, 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some Reavis campsite thoughts, if it's not too late. As you approach the ranch area from the south, or Rogers Trough end, look for the spots that are on the east side of the trail, before you reach the Trail 118 (Fireline Trail) turnoff. They are up in the trees with little grass coverage but a lot of nice soft pinestraw. The pre-existing firepits can be cleared of pinestraw easily and you will still be near a couple of good filter-and-fill holes in Reavis Creek. The sites tend to be on the smallish side so a larger group (like you guys?) might be a tight fit. But they offer some good shade and solitude and seem to get little use... well, maybe not anymore, since I just spilled the beans on 'em.

Good luck and enjoy yerselves. I'll be in Alpine this weekend, trying my best to shirk my housebuilding responsibilities and do some hiking Hiking as well. Take care.

-Nealz

-P. J. O'Rourke
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/22/2003, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
Husbands tend to forget small, insignificant things like that. Anniversaries, birthdays, Christmas - you know, the little days....

It's amazing you're still alive Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 5/22/2003, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nevermind...
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/22/2003, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jaimi, please change your mind. You're a fun lady to hike with and I've never seen a post of yours that anyone with any sense of humor whatsoever could possibly consider offensive.
Hooli has spoken! Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902

PostPosted: 5/22/2003, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jaimi, I have never hiked with you but have read all the 'stories'. I would think that since I was never there to know the whole story I would be insulted or offended if there was any reason to be by reading these posts. I went out with Higgs for lunch once. I told him while I never met you, with the exception of an introduction at Todd's, you came across to me me as being articulate, fun, compassionate, and very genuine. I don't believe anyone has been offended and I think it would be a shame for you to deny anyone the pleasure of your company on any future hikes. For what it's worth, that's what I think.
srlatty

PostPosted: 5/22/2003, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be doing the dayhike like I had hoped. If that changes, I will take my chances on catching up to you guys. Don't hold your breath! Hope you ALL have a great weekend Yes Agree
azhiker96

PostPosted: 5/22/2003, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yipes, I just mapped the route in from the "trail". It's a bit longer than I thought so given that we'll be starting late at best Friday night I've decided to head in on Saturday. Hopefully we'll arrive at Reavis in the early afternoon. We'll probably take advantage of the holiday and hike out on Monday now. I'm packing a little spiced rum to take the chill off the air Saturday night.
srlatty

PostPosted: 5/22/2003, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jmzblond wrote:
Quote:

I went up Siphon Draw on Saturday

You did?? So did Arizonaheat, and I !!! When were you out there?? Did we pass eachother and not know it??

Jmzblond,
Forgot to answer your question. Actually, I did answer it, just under another post. Here you go:

I knew that was you 2! I met you as you were coming down, right before you got to the fence before the parking lot. We went up with some friends that have a thing about getting an early start. You 2 looked better leaving than we did just starting out! That's what I get for taking a month off and then deciding to go hiking at noon on the 1st 100 degree day of the summer.
Great hike, only went to the top of the slick rock area. Excellent views. Can't wait to see what's waiting at the top.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/23/2003, 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

George which way are you going in? I thought we may go in from the Reavis Trailhead this time. It is about three miles longer, but something new since I have been only as far as Reavis Falls turnoff on that trail. It is also less of a drive and has a gentler elevation profile.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/23/2003, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

AzHeat: It's not much longer timewise, and the section from Windy Pass to the ranch is very beautiful. You'll like it. -R
azhiker96

PostPosted: 5/23/2003, 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat, yes, that's the trailhead I plan on taking. Like you I've taken it a little ways, about 1/2 mile past the turnoff for the falls before I figured out I'd overshot it. Depending on how work goes today we'll either head partway in tonight and drycamp tonight or we may get an early start in the morning.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/23/2003, 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Nevermind...

I have a feeling that was a close call for me. I'm pretty sure Jamie is just biding her time to get back at me for the recent posts in the Off Trail area.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 5/23/2003, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Jamie is just biding her time to get back at me for the recent posts in the Off Trail area.

Nope... No worries, Daddee. I'm not like that.

P.S. For all else concerned, I think Arizonaheat, GTG, and Hooli all conspired yesterday to bombard me (even threaten to show up at my door, kidnap me, and drag me out there by my hair if need be!!). Looks like I will be terrorizing the gang this w/e after all. Thanks to everyone for all your kindness, support, and encouragement... I feel a group hug coming on!! I love you all. Have fun and enjoy this long holiday w/e, just be careful and stay safe!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/23/2003, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That was no threat. I know people, people in the CIA, people in the Special Forces and if I really want to get serious about kidnapping, I know people in the Mafia Clown The Black Hawk was on standby, and the plan had been formulated and was ready for execution. Hoolie and his wonder dog were in their ninja suits practicing their flips, GTG was behind the wheel of the BatMobile and I was at the helm of the transporter on the Starship Enterprise, Spock was ready to do a Vulcan Mind Fusion.........Laughing

C ya early in the AM before the rooster cocka-doodle-doos. Oh and be sure to turn your radio alarm up to full volume and set it on some horrendous rap c @#$ station

PostPosted: 5/23/2003, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
That was no threat. I know people, people in the CIA, people in the Special Forces and if I really want to get serious about kidnapping, I know people in the Mafia Clown The Black Hawk was on standby, and the plan had been formulated and was ready for execution. Hoolie and his wonder dog were in their ninja suits practicing their flips, GTG was behind the wheel of the BatMobile and I was at the helm of the transporter on the Starship Enterprise, Spock was ready to do a Vulcan Mind Fusion.........Laughing

C ya early in the AM before the rooster cocka-doodle-doos. Oh and be sure to turn your radio alarm up to full volume and set it on some horrendous rap c @#$ station
Arizonaheat; that was awesome. A little scary that someone thinks like Rolling Eyes that but great nonetheless. Glad you got Jaimi to go. Have a good time all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: