ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Streak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
J&S

PostPosted: 5/5/2003, 6:21 pm    Post subject: The Streak Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, "streaks" have power over us hikers. No doubt. In the Year 2002, Susun and I had two consecutive day hiking streaks. One was 42 days and one was 126. On the 127th day of that long streak last year, we rec'd word our home had been flooded in a monsoon storm. We barely hiked 14 more days before the end of the year.
As the Year 2002 drew to a close, I wondered if that 126 day streak had been a fluke. I thought, "Gee, I wonder if I can do that again, or if it was a fluke."

See, it might have been a fluke because it was BOTH me and Susun doing it. She is such an inspiration and a motivator. A guy could hike a thousand days in a row with her at his side.

But she had other priorities this winter and it was up to me. And I wondered....are you really capable of doing a 126 day streak all by yourself? It was pretty intimidating. My first goal was to get to 42 days--six weeks. I got that one handled easily. And so I got to thinking, maybe you CAN actually make it to 126. It seemed such a LOFTY goal back when I was on Day 45.

But as the days clicked by like miles on your car odometer, it didn't seem so bad.
The last few dozen days have been hard. As I neared Day 126 it seemed like I was crawling in molasses. My "mile per day" dropped like a rock. My "miles per month" was ridiculous in April. January, I logged 77 miles; Februrary 150 and March, 165. But in April, it was like I was struggling to make miles.

However, I was determined to get to 126 days in a row. And finally, that day came yesterday. I made 126.

And, then what?

Today, I was overcome with a totally new emotion. It wasn't to break that "old record." Nope.
It was to keep that old record intact and NOT to break it. I could have easily gone for a long hike today. Had plenty of energy, great weather, all the classic ingredients. But somehow, I didn't want to "break" 126.

I had a long talk with Susun this afternoon. I told her how much I appreciated what she had done to make the first 126 day streak possible and I said, "I can't break that streak unless you are at my side!"

And so I purposely didn't go hiking today to let the 126 day streak stay intact. It was something we did together, in the first place, and something I don't want to exceed unless we can do it together.

Equaling it was something I needed to know I could do on my own. Exceeding it is not necessary.

As I write this, I think anyone reading it will think it is stupid and strange. I don't care. I am writing it only for the benefit of those of you who might understand how this happened and what is means.

Have a great evening.

j
mike t

PostPosted: 5/5/2003, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Stupid? Not at all. Before I read this I posted a reply on "hiker cuts off arm" about how many of us would never go anywhere if we didn't go alone. All I can say is you're a lucky guy... and I think it's great that you realize it.
plummer150

PostPosted: 5/6/2003, 1:57 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome; and understood. However, I would've wanted to break the 126 day streak and see how far I could actualy take things! Twisted Evil
ck1

PostPosted: 5/13/2003, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordan should have retired when he won his last championship with the Bulls...he didn't know when to step back.

You did.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: