ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
When Will The Forrest Closures Begin?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

When Will The AZ Forrest Closures Begin?
March
46%
 46%  [ 18 ]
April
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
May
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
June
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
July
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 39

GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 9:20 am    Post subject: When Will The Forrest Closures Begin? Reply to topic Reply with quote

With all of the drought and dryness going on, when do you think the forrest closures will begin? Pick your month and then if you have a date in mind post it. Closest date chosen gets an ArizonaHikers.com sticker.

GTG
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

April 7th I say.

GTG
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

April 14. All the good gear hikers purchase with tax refund money will gather dust in the closet Sad
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

March 30th.

If we don't get rain soon it may be even earlier.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
pyroman

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

First Forest Service fire/smoking restrictions by April 15. Actual area closures not until May 15.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess fire restriction in March, actual closures before Memorial Day weekend.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anybody picked next Thursday? If it is still available, that is my choice.

Quote:
http://www.paysonroundup.com/section/localnews/story/22229
Payson Roundup Local news

Forest restrictions imminent; Horseshoe Fire contained
By Jim Keyworth, Roundup staff reporter
Friday, February 17, 2006
With the Horseshoe Fire now burning three miles north of Christopher Creek, Tonto National Forest officials plan to announce forest restrictions, most likely effective next Thursday.

The restrictions, which will probably ban campfires, smoking, shooting firearms and operating chain saws and other motorized equipment, will be the earliest in the forest's history. A dry winter in the midst of a decade-long drought left forest officials little choice.
"We've been discussing (restrictions) for a while, so we had the ball rolling," said Payson Ranger District Head Ranger Ed Armenta. "(They will include) the Pine-Strawberry area, across the Rim above the Control Road, down to the Bear Flat area and across to tie into the Pleasant Valley Ranger District."
Armenta said a complete forest closure could be coming soon.
"We're going to continue to monitor the conditions and ratchet up restrictions as needed," he said. "Potential closures are imminent, but that's a last resort."
Horseshoe Fire
The Horseshoe Fire, which was reported Wednesday morning, has grown to seven acres, but is now contained according to fire officials.
The fire, caused by a campfire, is west of Promontory Butte near Horton Creek. Resources are still on hand from the February Fire, including three helicopters supporting 35 Tonto National Forest personnel, according to Payson Ranger District Fire Prevention Officer Gary Roberts.
"They have really good air support on it," Roberts said, "and unless they get some unforeseen, extreme, really squirrely weather, they expect to have it wrapped up ...."
February Fire
The February Fire is now 100 percent contained. The blaze consumed 4,234 acres before the Arizona Central West Zone Incident Management Team subdued it.
"The team did an outstanding job," Armenta said. "This is early in the year. They haven't even had their team meeting to get their act together.
"They just came, took over the fire, hit the ground running, and did it in an efficient, professional manner."
The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality issued a health watch for Tuesday, the last day of intense smoke from the February Fire.
Health watches are issued when pollution levels reach a point where people with respiratory or other health problems need to limit their outdoor activity.

Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Those boys and girls fighting the February fire did a great job. I thought it would spread way more than that.

Let's just hope we aren't totally shut out of the rim areas this summer.

That would totally suck.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been hiking/backpacking every weekend since Xmas. A couple Supes treks, a bunch of Lemmon hikes and one near Mt. Graham. Though I found a couple springs and/or seeps on each outing, I've never seen it so dry. A spark from your trekking pole or any static electrical discharge could do it. Plus just driving up to a TH with your vehicles hot catalytic converter, and whoosh! Closure is beginning to happen, real soon.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Those boys and girls fighting the February fire did a great job. I thought it would spread way more than that.

If you want to see where the February fire burned, check out the “Fire Progression Map” through 2/12/06 available at: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/cwz/maps/February_Progression_02_12_1100.jpg

The Incident Management Team Report can be found at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/cwz/index.htm
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Late February some restrictions and closures, forest wide in March.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
Late February some restrictions and closures, forest wide in March.
Yup.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh how sad... So many beautiful places changed for a long while. As much as it may curtail or slow up people's plans I wish it would RAIN!!! to help things out soon.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With almost 4 months of no rain everything is tinder dry. I think the closures will begin around March 17th starting with Coconino.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." ďż˝ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
madmax

PostPosted: 2/17/2006, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think april Chin Scratching 5, ok I really dont know what im talking about but just giving it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: