ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hiker...pinned...boulder...cuts off arm...repells to safety
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 5/2/2003, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Hiker...pinned...boulder...cuts off arm...repells to safety Reply to topic Reply with quote

Click on the link below for the full story, or scroll down...

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E53%257E1364264,00.html

Pinned hiker cuts off arm
Aspenite amputates after 5 days under boulder in Utah
By Nancy Lofholm, Denver Post Western Slope Bureau
An Aspen mountaineer who was pinned by a nearly 1,000-pound boulder for five days in a remote slot canyon in eastern Utah cut off his arm with a pocketknife, rappelled down a rock wall and hiked until he was found by a search helicopter Thursday afternoon.
Special/Aron Ralson
Aron Ralston, shown in a self-portrait taken in June.

Aron Ralston was in serious condition Thursday night after undergoing surgery at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, where he was airlifted after his ordeal.

"He's obviously one tough guy," said Sgt. Mitch Vetere, one of the Emery County Sheriff's Office searchers who first located Ralston in a remote area 60 miles south of Green River, Utah.

Vetere didn't know just how tough.

Ralston, 27, an avid climber who has topped 49 of Colorado's 14,000-foot peaks, also escaped death in an avalanche on Tennessee Pass in February. He was caught in an avalanche that buried all but his head and one arm.

Ralston's latest ordeal began Saturday afternoon when he rode his mountain bike alone into Bluejohn Canyon near The Maze district of Canyonlands National Park for what was planned as a day jaunt through the desert country. He had left his bike and hiked into a 3-foot-wide slot canyon when a boulder that searchers estimated at 800 to 1,000 pounds fell on him. It pinned his right arm, according to information from the sheriff's offices in Emery and Wayne counties.

Ralston told rescuers that Thursday morning he realized he would not survive unless he took drastic action. He had run out of water Tuesday.

Ralston told them he used his pocketknife to amputate his right arm below the elbow Thursday morning. He then applied a tourniquet and administered first aid from a kit he had in his backpack. He rigged anchors and fixed a rope to rappel nearly 75 feet to the bottom of Bluejohn Canyon.

He hiked downstream into adjacent Horseshoe Canyon, where he encountered two hikers who flagged down a Utah Department of Public Safety helicopter about 3 p.m. Thursday.

The helicopter had been searching for Ralston after he was reported missing by someone who said he had not called in or shown up for work at Ute Mountaineering in Aspen for four days.

Vetere said Ralston, dressed in a T-shirt and shorts and carrying a backpack, was still walking when they reached him. He had a tourniquet wrapped around his right biceps but was bleeding profusely and was dehydrated. Vetere gave him a bottle of water, and he was bundled into the helicopter for a 12-minute ride to Allen Memorial Hospital in Moab.

"He was in pretty rough shape. ... But he communicated with us all the way to the hospital," Vetere said.

Searchers went back by helicopter Thursday afternoon to the canyon where Ralston had been pinned to try to retrieve his arm. They spotted it under the huge boulder but were unable to move it, Vetere said. Ralston's rappelling ropes were still in place.

Ralston was stabilized at Allen Memorial Hospital and transported to St. Mary's in Grand Junction.

VIDEO
Official news conference.

Reading of family statement.

Nature photographer John Fielder said he hired Ralston to carry gear and act as a guide on a photography trip into the Rawah Wilderness Area near Fort Collins last summer. Fielder said he was not surprised Ralston survived the accident in the Utah wilderness.

"He's one of the most skilled outdoors people I've worked with. He's a real tough guy," Fielder said. "He has great survival instincts. He is supremely confident in his survival skills."

Ralston did question his own judgment in the outdoors following his brush with death in February.

He was backcountry skiing with several friends on Tennessee Pass when they triggered an avalanche. A friend who was partially buried dug Ralston out, and the two dug out a third friend who was buried for nearly 15 minutes.

Ralston recently told The Post that he had ignored weather and terrain indicators of high avalanche danger. He said he learned a tough lesson and was wiser for the experience.

"It was a learning experience. It cost me several friendships," Ralston said.

In Utah, Vetere said Ralston was hiking and biking in an area where many people travel alone. A parking lot near the trailhead is often filled with cars on weekends. But Ralston set out south from a trail that most visitors normally take north.

"I would say he is as qualified as anybody else to be out there by himself," Vetere said.

Les Thompson, commander of the Emery County sheriff's Search and Rescue Team, said people come to the wild and remote desert country in eastern Utah without appreciating how rough and dangerous it can be.

"We've killed a lot of people in this country. They just don't pay attention when they come out here," Thompson said.

Ralston's pocketknife amputation wasn't the first in the region.

In October 1993, a fisherman from Conifer used a fishing knife to cut off his left leg at the knee when he was trapped by a fallen boulder near St. Mary's Glacier.

In recounting the experience soon after, Bill Jeracki said he yelled for help for hours, then the weather started to change for the worse and he became concerned for his survival.

He applied a tourniquet, then carved around his lower leg, cutting beneath the kneecap, severing the muscles and tendons that attach the lower leg at the knee joint. He used hemostats from his fishing kit to close the severed artery and vein, then crawled back to his truck and drove to Alice.

In July of that year when Donald Wyman, a 37-year-old bulldozer operator, was forced to amputate his leg with a 3-inch pocketknife after an oak tree pinned him in western Pennsylvania.

Denver Post staff writers Jim Kirksey and Steve Lipsher contributed to this report.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 5/4/2003, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is seriously intense. Amazed Thanks for posting it.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 5/4/2003, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is all truly amazing.Wow! What will to survi Shocked ve!
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/4/2003, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is for sure, GeorgeAZ. A similar incident happened in Colorado several years ago, except it involved a leg, the results were the same.

One never knows how strong their survival instinct is or how they will react in a certain situation, until confronted in real life.
ck1

PostPosted: 5/5/2003, 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought of that story from Backpacker a few months back about the solo hiker who died after spending 11 days pinned by a boulder...

I think stories such as these are of great interest, not so much for the gore, but rather to be learned from, and to question ourselves...

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daryl

PostPosted: 5/5/2003, 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great story, I've been amazed reading about it. I'd like to know how big of a knife he had an how long it took to accomplish the task. I can't imagine...

Lesson for the day, if he was not hiking/climbing alone help would have been there in hours and he'd probably still have his arm today... It doesn't matter how great of a outdoorsman you are.

PostPosted: 5/5/2003, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have no problems with hiking alone, but telling somebody where your at. I think that was his worst mistake.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Nealz

PostPosted: 5/5/2003, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
I have no problems with hiking alone, but telling somebody where your at.

Too true. I enjoy the solitude of solo hiking/backpacking sometimes and in my younger, and dumber days, I wouldn't think twice about just blasting off to the middle of nowhere for the weekend without so much as a word to anyone about where I was headed (although sometimes I didn't know myself until I got there) or when to expect me back. Luckily, all my trips were safe, but something like this could easily have happened to me. These days, I'll leave a fairly detailed itinerary with someone and I stick to it. This guy Ralston has some serious cajones!

There's something about youth and perceived invincibility that is difficult to argue with. I see it in my own teenage sons these days - yes, what goes around does indeed come around. Yikes.

-Nealz
mike t

PostPosted: 5/5/2003, 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Lesson for the day, if he was not hiking/climbing alone help would have been there in hours and he'd probably still have his arm today...

2 points to make here: 1) Unlikely he would keep his arm considering the size of the boulder. Even the article states searchers couldn't free the arm later, and we don't know how much time would have passed even with someone going for help. Too much damage. Too much time. 2) Many of us would rarely go anywhere if we didn't go alone.
Daryl

PostPosted: 5/6/2003, 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We can only speculate on saving his arm. if help would have gotton there, even after 2 days, they would have had plenty of time to bring in equipment to free the arm instead of cutting it off. The fact that he survived 5 days there says the damage couldn't have been too bad to the arm. If so he would have bleed to death.

Either way, if this guy was an average hiker he could be dead today. If he wasn't alone it would have been a fairly routine rescue that may have made a 5 minute blurb on the evening news.

I'm part of a local search and rescue team. In the two years I've been in search and recue we've recovered several hikers that didn't make it. All of them were alone. Hiking alone is more dangerous, period.

PostPosted: 5/6/2003, 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been in search and recue we've recovered several hikers that didn't make it. All of them were alone. Hiking alone is more dangerous, period.
No argument here. My point is simply that we all make decisions all the time based multiple factors specific to the indvidual. We all have to weigh these factors for ourselves and our own situations. And we have to live with the consequences or enjoy the rewards that result from those decisions.

I also agree that we can only speculate on the arm. However, I would not rely on bleeding as an indictor of injury severity. Upon re-thinking the matter though, it may not have been too bad. Otherwise he might have died from kidney failure secondary to rhadomyolosis
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 5/6/2003, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That dude is officially the baddest dude on the planet. Do NOT mess with him.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 5/6/2003, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daddee wrote:
That dude is officially the baddest dude on the planet. Do NOT mess with him.

You got that right. Check out some of his accomplishments. Shocked
http://www.fourteenerworld.com/ClimbersCorner/HTML/AronRalston1.htm

mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/8/2003, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Thursday, May 08, 2003
Associated Press

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. — Aron Ralston described how he did the unthinkable -- cutting off his own arm to save his life -- in his first meeting with reporters since he walked, bloody and dehydrated, out of a remote Utah canyon.

"I'm not sure how I handled it," the mechanical engineer-turned-adventurer said Thursday, the stump of his right arm in a sling. "I felt pain and I coped with it. I moved on."

On April 26, during what was supposed to be a day trip near Canyonlands National Park, Ralston, 27, became hopelessly pinned as he scrambled over three boulders wedged into a narrow canyon. One of the boulders, weighing an estimated 800 pounds, rolled as he climbed over it, trapping his right arm against a cliff face.

He tried chipping away with his knife at the boulder and the cliff, and tried to rig a way to lift the boulder off himself with climbing gear. But after three days, having gone through most of his three liters of water and his food -- two burritos and some crumbs clinging to candy bar wrappers -- he decided to sacrifice his arm to save his life.

Slim and pale with short reddish-brown hair, Ralston made frequent references to prayer and spirituality in his news conference. He said he felt a surge of energy on the third day, which happened to be the National Day of Prayer.

"I may never fully understand the spiritual aspects of what I experienced, but I will try," he said. "The source of the power I felt was the thoughts and prayers of many people, most of whom I will never know."

Ralston said he first took a dull pocketknife to his forearm after three days, but couldn't cut the skin.

The next day he went through the motions of applying a tourniquet, laying out bike shorts to use for padding. He worked out how to get through the bone with the "multi-tool"-type knife he carried.

"Basically, I got my surgical table ready," Ralston said.

On the fifth day, he summoned up technique and nerve to do what for most who followed his story is unthinkable:

"I was able to first snap the radius and then within another few minutes snap the ulna at the wrist and from there, I had the knife out and applied the tourniquet and went to task. It was a process that took about an hour," he said.

What Ralston had to do after the excruciating operation also required skills beyond the abilities of most.

On May 1, he crawled through a narrow, winding canyon, rappelled down a 60-foot cliff and walked some six miles down the southeastern Utah canyon.

By the time he encountered hikers and then rescuers, Ralston was just two miles from the nearest road.

For reasons he wouldn't explain, Ralston withheld some details of his story. A publicist told reporters there would be no follow-up interviews soon and no interviews whatsoever with the doctors who treated him.

Ralston gave a partial answer to one frequently asked question: What kind of knife did he use?

He described it as a cheap imitation of the Leatherman brand multi-tool, a folding device that typically has knife blades, pliers, screwdrivers and other gadgets. He didn't give the brand, calling it "what you'd get if you bought a $15 flashlight and got a free multi-use tool."
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/8/2003, 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess the only thing worse would have been if the blade broke off halfway thru.... Amazed

Hope I never have to test my big Cold Steel blade like that....-R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: