ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Wildfire burns 80 acres north of Payson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 9:35 am    Post subject: Wildfire burns 80 acres north of Payson Reply to topic Reply with quote

azcentral.com wrote:
Wildfire burns 80 acres north of Payson

12 News/Associated Press
Feb. 7, 2006 09:34 AM

PAYSON - A wildfire has broken out along the Mogollon Rim, north of Payson, and has charred 80 acres in very rugged terrain.

"We are aggressively attacking this fire to limit its spread in the area," said Tonto Fire Management Officer Jeff Borucki. "This is the first serious fire on the Tonto this year, and we want to make sure it doesn't grow into a larger problem.

Tonto National Forest spokesman Vinnie Picard said the blaze, dubbed the February fire, was reported about 8 p.m. Monday. He said it began in the Coconino National Forest and then spread into the Tonto.

Picard said there have been no structures burned, nor any injuries, and that the cause isn't known, though forest officials believe it's human-caused because of a lack of lightning in the area.

Two helicopters and crews have been dispatched to the scene.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0207FebruaryFire07-ON.html
whereveriroam

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here we go already. Better hike into those areas that you've wanted too but haven't before the fire season really starts. Any guesses on what pristine areas are going to get scorched this year?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The fire season from last year did not end, we kept our wildland gear on the trucks.
Daryl

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

whereveriroam wrote:
Here we go already. Better hike into those areas that you've wanted too but haven't before the fire season really starts. Any guesses on what pristine areas are going to get scorched this year?

How bad would it be to start a pool?
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 2/7/2006, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very bad Daryl. Verrrry bad.

I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the news. And, of course, they're saying it was 'human caused'. When will people learn?

I imagine Manifest Destiny will work it's way into this thread somehow. Stan?...
Cholla

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I walked outside to get the paper a while ago and I smell smoke. Crying or Very sad I live up near Cave Creek.

Yesterday, I hiked the Go John Loop trail at the Cave Creek Recreation Area for a quick morning hike and could see a brown haze off towards Anthem. Don't know if that is fire related or just the bad valley air we have been having lately. To the south and west it looked better than last Thursday when I took some out of town guests up Pinnacle Peak.

That was a real hoot as my quests had never seen a desert plant before other than those little itty bitty cactuses you can buy in the grocery store plant section around the country.

I think we should all do a rain dance on Saturday. my fingers are crossed
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 8:49 am    Post subject: Tonto wildfire burns 500 acres Reply to topic Reply with quote

azcentral.com wrote:
Tonto wildfire burns 500 acres

Republic and wire reports
Feb. 8, 2006 06:30 AM

A wildfire burning in rugged terrain on the Mogollon Rim had charred at least 500 acres by Tuesday night, authorities said.

The "February" fire burned in a piñon-juniper forest above and below the Rim, about 12 miles north of Payson in the Tonto National Forest.

Tonto spokesman Vinnie Picard said the blaze started from an abandoned campfire in the Coconino National Forest and grew quickly because of dry conditions.

Picard said no structures had been burned, no injuries reported and there was no immediate threat to personal property.

However, Picard said winds after sundown were pushing the flames to the southeast and into difficult terrain.

Firefighters were using burnout operations to box the wildfire into containment and were being somewhat aided by roads, trails and the boundaries from two older fires, Picard added.

The Tonto National Forest had six firefighting crews and two helicopters working the fire while the Coconino National Forest also had crews battling the blaze.

Just last week, state officials discussed their fears of an early and severe fire season.

Officials from two national forests took steps to limit the fire's growth, closing roads and trails and calling in about 100 firefighters.

"We are aggressively attacking this fire to limit its spread in the area," Tonto Fire Management Officer Jeff Borucki said. "This is the first serious fire on the Tonto this year, and we want to make sure it doesn't grow into a larger problem."

At a briefing last week for the governor, state Forester Kirk Rowdabaugh reported that in many areas of the state, fuels are as dry as they normally are at the beginning of monsoon season.

The dry fuels, a continued lack of rain, low humidity, higher-than-normal temperatures and trees killed by bark beetle infestations, all indicate an early and long fire season, Rowdabaugh said.

Picard said he doesn't view the "February" fire as an omen of a bad fire season "but an indicator of how careful we need to be when we really get into fire season," a few months from now.

The blaze ignited late Monday at an abandoned campfire along what is known as Rim Road. It spread to about 80 acres overnight. It gained an additional 120 acres Tuesday as it burned toward the south.

No structures were threatened, and no one has been injured.

Picard said firefighters have the fire boxed in between the Mogollon Rim road on the north, the Highline Trail on the south, and burnouts from previous fires on the east and west.

Firefighters spent Tuesday along the trail burning out dry vegetation in an effort to stop the fire.

Picard said fires that drop below the Rim are hard to suppress because the land is so steep and rocky. The elevation drops several thousand feet between the top of the Rim and the bottom.

Picard said five fire crews, each with about 20 firefighters, and three helicopters were being assembled to combat the blaze.

Forest officials closed several miles of road atop the Rim, in the Coconino National Forest. The Highline Trail, which runs beneath the Rim, was partly closed, as well. The only public feature in the area is the small Kehl Springs Forest Service campground. Washington Park, a summer home community, is several miles east, protected by a burned area from a fire two years ago.

Cliff Pearlberg, public affairs and prevention officer for the Arizona State Land Department's forestry division, said the "February" fire grew unusually quickly overnight Monday, given how cold the nights have been in the area. Nighttime temperatures have dropped below freezing in Payson.

"It becomes critical that people be even more cautious, the drier it is," Pearlberg said. "The drier the fuels are, the easier they are to ignite."

Picard said the Tonto and other national forests in Arizona had planned to add seasonal fire crews early this year, but not this early.

Hotshot crews, elite firefighters, are scheduled to start April 1, a month earlier than normal.

Republic reporter Michael Clancy contributed to this report.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0208FebFire08-ON.html
Glitter

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I drove through there last night and saw the flames and smoke just north of Payson. I hope they get this one under control, I would be devastated if this went anywhere near Fossil Creek.
Daryl

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
Very bad Daryl. Verrrry bad.

yeah, for the record it wasn't something I was considering.

600 acres last I saw... And fire danger for that area is only "moderate."

As this starts making the rounds on the news I bet they start closing areas in the next few days.
What box?

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Tonto wildfire burns 1,200 acres Reply to topic Reply with quote

azcentral.com wrote:
Tonto wildfire burns 1,200 acres

Republic and wire reports
Feb. 8, 2006 12:05 PM

PAYSON - A wildfire burning in rugged terrain 12 miles north of Payson grew Wednesday to 1,200 acres.

In addition, a Tonto National Forest spokesman said the "February" fire has moved to within two miles of Camp Geronimo, which is a Boy Scout camp outside Pine. The spokesman said as a precaution, crews are working to protect buildings at the camp.

The fire also moved through a ranch last night, but firefighters were able to keep the flames from damaging any buildings.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0208FebFire08-ON.html
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, so do we need to come up with plan B for the March beginners back pack? This sucks!

I want to shine!
Hnak

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
OK, so do we need to come up with plan B for the March beginners back pack? This sucks!

Only if the flames are really close.... Wink
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Only if the flames are really close....

Yeah, wouldn't want them to melt the snow!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is really so sad. Sad So many beautiful places damaged due to poor judgement or someone just not caring. Hopefully many places can be spared....

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/8/2006, 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are two areas of Arizona I've found in the last two years that bring me the solace I need....Madera Canyon and the Mogollan Rim. Madera and the Mt Wrightson area fried last summer and now the Rim? Sad With this dry winter I'm not doubting that it's going to be a bad wildfire year.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: