ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Reavis Ranch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/28/2003, 11:16 am    Post subject: Reavis Ranch Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rodger’s Trough to Reavis Ranch 4/26 –4/27/2003

This weekend we took an overnight trip to Reavis Ranch. We set out with the plan to arrive at the trailhead at 11am and start the hike in. We figured it would take about 5 hours to get there, leaving us with enough time to set up, explore, eat, unwind and get to bed.
The road in was in good shape. Much better then I remember it from my last trip in a few years back. Most cars should make it there fine, but I still wouldn’t take the family sedan up there. There was an OHV event going on as there were plenty of ATC/ATVs running around. Some were courteous, some weren’t. We arrived at the trailhead right at 11am. The small lot was very full and several horse trailers were parked there.
On the way to the Roger’s Canyon turn off, the first 1.5 miles, we ran into several boy scouts on their way out. They all looked very ready to be done with the hike. They spent the night at Roger’s Canyon near the Indian ruins. This first section of the trail is rich with desert flowers along the creek bed. There were also several small pools of water that my dog didn’t mind drinking from or playing in. The purple hedge hog cactus blossoms are in full bloom, as are the red ocotillo and yellow prickly pear blossoms. There were several other yellow, purple, and red flowers that I’m not sure of the name of. There was one flower I couldn’t recall seeing before. They were large white flowers, very tropical looking. They looked out of place?
Next we started heading up the 2 mile 1000 foot climb to Reavis Saddle. Switch backing up the side of the mountain, the landscape makes the second of three dramatic changes on this hike. Now most of the cactus are gone with the ground being covered by thick bushy scrub mixed in with various wild flowers. Looking back behind us the view is amazing. Rolling hills covered in green scrub and dramatic cliff faces. The trail gets pretty skinny at this point, often times with a pretty steep drop off on the side. One miss step could easily send you 100 feet down the side. At one point in this area we ran into a pack of horse back riders on their way down. We had to scramble up a little ways off the trail to let them by. We were all amazed how sure footed the horses were as they maneuvered around us on a trail no more the 2 feet wide with an almost sheer drop off on the side.
We arrived at Reavis Saddle and stopped for lunch under a juniper tree. At this point the trail makes it’s third landscape change. Now we are in a wooded forest thick with junipers, pine, and other trees I can’t identify. We are all happy the climb is over and the three miles left is all a gradual down hill along side the creek. A little more then half way to the ranch, from the saddle, we got to the monster juniper tree. The base of this thing is at least 8 feet in diameter. Other then the redwoods in California, it’s the fattest tree I’ve ever seen.
We arrive at Reavis Ranch about 4:45, set up camp and explore the ranch. The area was pretty full with several parties of horse backers and a handful of backpackers. The old coral was full of horses and there is old rusted farm equipment scattered about. We walked through the apple orchard and wished they were in season, then we checked out the remains of the house. I was very impressed with the craftsmanship of the tile floors. After all these years it is still intact, level, and looks great.
We went back to our campsite to eat and settle down for the night. After we ate, before it got dark, a deer walked right up to our camp. She approached from the south and walked right around us. She posed for several pictures, letting us get within 20 feet of her. Then she laid down maybe 100 feet north of our camp for the night. When we went off to bed she was still there.
The next morning we filled our water bottles in the creek and headed out. On the way out, at the bottom of the climb to the saddle a rattlesnake was kind enough to let us know he was hanging out in the bush on the side of the trail. It’s such an unmistakable and eerie sound. After making sure we were a safe distance, we tried to take pictures but he was too covered by the bush to get any good shots. I took a little movie in which you can hear and see the rattle, but not much else. I’ll try to post it soon.
What a great hike this was. I’d highly recommend it if you haven’t done it before.
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/30/2003, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pictures: http://www.hikearizona.com/photocodeZOOM.php?ID=629&TNI=270

Rattlesnake clip: http://www.faustdesigns.net/reavis/snake.htm

PostPosted: 4/30/2003, 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures! Nice pics of the deer, especially like the night picture. This is one place I've heard alot about but havent been up to, yet.
I've got some time off from work June & July would like to try going then if it's not too warm.
evenstar

PostPosted: 5/18/2003, 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG, kurthzone and "Prickly Pear Hooli" did Reavis Ranch from the Roger's Canyon TH; scoped out some campsites and there is running water starting a couple of miles before the ranch. Probably the best campsite, just below the cattle pen and loading shute, was a mess. GTG may post photos; horsesh*t right in the camp area; feed dumped all over the ground and based on the idiots that left this mess, we left out one option on "What do you do with toilet paper" poll.......what they did......just left it and what it was used for lie there in the open and worse yet, just a few feet from the creek! Also horsesh*t right in the creek! Definitely don't wanna camp downstream from there Wacko
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/25/2003, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Reavis Ranch/Circlestone 5/24/25

Hoolie, GTG, Messami, Azhiker96, Deandra, Arizonaheat and Jmzblond did a group backpack to Reavis Ranch, with some taking a side trip to Circlestone. We attacked Reavis Ranch from both directions and all different departure times, in fear that if we all left at the same time it would be enough to scare the Superstition Wilderness out of the state of Arizona. Hoolie was first to depart, Friday morning, via the Woodbury Trailhead, distance to the ranch around 6 miles. He was followed by GTG and Messami, who had hoped to depart Friday afternoon but ended up hiking in under darkness Friday night. Azhiker96 and Deandra also departed Friday evening, but from the other end of things, the Reavis Ranch Trailhead. They hiked in approximately 4 to 4.5 miles before setting up for the night. Arizonaheat and Jmzblond, departed via the Reavis Trailhead, shortly after daybreak, Sat, distance to ranch approx 10 miles.

Hoolie arrived at the Ranch. pre-noon Friday, scoped out and selected a camp site, then invited every knat and flying insect in the State of Arizona to join him. It really wasn’t that bad, but the knats were a definite nuisance.

GTG and Messami woke the dead Friday night on their hike in. As they passed the grave of Elijah Reavis and entered Grave Canyon, strange eerie things began to happen. I think it was the spirit of Elijah himself. It was definitely enough to put a scare into the two of them. They arrived at camp around 10:30 PM. They woke Hoolie , who got up and helped them set up camp. GTG says he now has a new logo for Azhikers ( a picture he took of Hoolie) GTG or Hoolie can explain if they want to.

Arizonaheat and Jmzblond, were greeted by four mule deer at the Reavis Trailhead. We headed up the trail making the long steady climb over Windy Pass to Plow Saddle. Elevation at the trailhead is around 3450 and the climb is steady to the top of Windy Pass, elevation 5150, then the descent takes you past the intersections to the Plow Saddle, Frog Tanks, and Reavis Gap trails, before arriving at Reavis Ranch elevation 4850. We were pleasantly surprised by a wide array of wildflowers and cacti that were in bloom along the way, it was truly gorgeous. There were also 100’s of Funnel Spider, webs along the trail (see photo when I get them posted) The views going across Windy Pass are astounding .

We were able to make contact with Hoolie and GTG at Reavis Ranch, when we were about ¾ of a mile past Plow Saddle. We ran into Azhiker96 and Deandra about a mile from the Ranch. As Jmzblond and I entered the apple orchard at the Ranch we spooked up a couple of White Tail deer. It was a very good day for wildlife. Jmzblond got buzzed at by a rattler, but didn’t stick around to get a look. Don’t blame her! By the time we arrived at camp we were pretty well bushed.

We set up our camp, filtered some water, had some lunch, then being glutens for punishment we were persuaded to pursue Circlestone which was an additional 7 –8 miles of hiking. It is all up hill from Reavis Ranch, elevation 4850 to Circlestone elevation around Off we went, unfortunately no UFO’s used the site for a landing while we were there so we could catch a ride back or get a cold beer out of the replicator on board.

We all departed camp a various times this morning, Jmzblond and I were on the trail first, around 6 and were back to the vehicle by 11. Azhiker96 and Deandra were going to hike part way out and spend the night. It was a great time despite the knats and other flying creatures. The temp this morning around 5 was 38. Everything at the Ranch is still very green and lush. This is one very scenic hike. The company was great despite the fact that we were all pooped. Oh I almost forgot on the way out we saw four more mule deer and one white tail.

Will try to get photos up soon,
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 5/26/2003, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://hikearizona.com/photocodeZOOM.php?ID=668&TNI=246

A few photos
imne1

PostPosted: 5/27/2003, 8:43 pm    Post subject: reavis trail to reavis falls Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi...novice hiker and first time on this forum...great to know that it exists...thanks.

me and a friend started this trail from the Reavis Ranch Trailhead on sunday afternoon... i think we may have run into Azhiker96 and Deandra.. this trail and the subsequent trail leading to the falls were both great. the reavis falls trail is not easy to see but was clearly marked w/ a couple of cairns. the hike down into the creek was intimidating only b/c i knew we had to come back up. however, as most people say, it is not as bad as it looks. we got to the falls but it was only a trickle. we filled up on water directly from the falls (or trickle) and hiked back up. we hiked up in the middle of the day under a blazing sun but there were plenty of places w/ shade where you can rest. there was also a nice breeze..that always helps.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 5/28/2003, 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello imne1! Yes, you met us just after you left the trailhead. Welcome to the site! You'll find a lot of good people here and lots of good advice.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 5/30/2003, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

These photos are from the 18th of May with Hooli and GTG. Sorry they are a little late. It's a slide show so if you don't want to wait 10 seconds just hit the next Icon to the left or if you want to view more, click and hold on the photo somewhere.

http://www.arizonahikers.com/kurthzone/ReavisMay18/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: