ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hikers and Grizzlies in Alaska
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/26/2006, 8:45 am    Post subject: Hikers and Grizzlies in Alaska Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some friends of mine went to Alaska to go backpacking. They picked up a brochure near the trailhead which gave details about how to deal with bears while hiking. The brochure said that if you're in black bear country you don't need to worry too much because generally black bears are shy and will run away. It said when you are in grizzly country you should carry pepper spray and wear bells on your ankles to warn the bears away.

My friends had some questions so they went to talk to the ranger. "How can we tell if we're in black bear country as opposed to grizzly country?" they wanted to know. The ranger said, "When you're in black bear country you can tell by the poop--it's fairly small, dark in color, has seeds in it and smells like berries. When you start getting into grizzly country you can tell because their poop is larger, lighter in color, has bells in it and smells like pepper spray!"

Very Happy
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/26/2006, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats funny!

Pete, need more cowbell here!
IGO

PostPosted: 1/26/2006, 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Eek
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 1/27/2006, 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
need more cowbell here!

Yes!, definately more cow bell!

http://www.devilducky.com/media/12491/

Haven't thought of that in a while Davis.

Cool

Sorry for the thread hi-jack. Razz
IGO

PostPosted: 1/27/2006, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DesertRoux wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:
need more cowbell here!

Yes!, definately more cow bell!

http://www.devilducky.com/media/12491/

Haven't thought of that in a while Davis.

Cool

Sorry for the thread hi-jack. Razz

I think I saw that show when it was recorded. I used to dress just like that too. I'm gett'n old.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/4/2006, 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cowbell?
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Speaking of grizzlies....Did anyone catch "Grizzly Man" on Discover, about Treadwell? Pretty eccentric character! A biologist researcher friend of mine who does lots of field trips documenting wildlife, said there is a bear spray available in some hilking shops that will shoot about 20-30 feet; his co-worker used it on a prowler that attempted to climb into her bedroom window one night....VERY effective! Shocked Laughing
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/5/2006, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yes, I saw the special about Treadwell. Was not very impressed with him. Considering the way he interacted with the bears, the end was almost inevitable.
Vashti

PostPosted: 2/27/2006, 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We watched "Grizzly Man" on video last night.

We are with AZHiker96 ... the end was inevitable. We were just so put out. I mean that footage of bears and foxes was great, but at what price? The bears are now accustomed to coming up to humans (since Treadwell goes right up to them and tellS them he loves them - !), and when they get rocks thrown at them, he gets mad.

What a strange, strange story. I kept thinking about the poor woman and in general how terrible the attack must have been. I am glad they did not play the recorded audio from the actual event.

Yikes!

Razz
Sad
-Vashti Razz

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
IGO

PostPosted: 2/27/2006, 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got that sitting on the DVD player. Haven't watched it yet though.
Tommy

PostPosted: 2/27/2006, 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Vashti wrote:
We are with AZHiker96 ... the end was inevitable.

I agree. This Treadwell character really made me sick. He seemed like a wannabe Diane Fossey except instead of gorillas, he wanted to bond with grizzly bears. *?!* It is a well-made documentary and worth watching, but this is a tragedy should not have occurred.
ghoster

PostPosted: 2/28/2006, 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

He just played the grizzly game with real grizzlies and the more dominant male that showed up ate him. It was going to happen by his actions around real bears. I only watched the first few minutes and found that this guy was nuts, and his thinking that some kind of mental attitude would turn a grizzly into a bonding buddy. I once saw a guy that wanted to take on a black bear with a bowie knife. I never laughed so hard at someone. He had no idea what he was talking about, and he wanted a sow bear with cubs. Yup, treadwell just removed himself from the gene pool before he had a chance to lower the standards any. Crazy
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/28/2006, 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Caught "Grizzly Man" on Discovery Channel this past Sunday ... Beautiful scenery and bear/fox shots ...Treadwell is plain nuts (Looks like he has had issues all his life!) ...these are the types that give conservation a bad name! If you want to save / protect these "beautiful" creatures -- stay away from them ...there is no need to live among them to appreciate them. It's sad someone else also had to perish for his stupidity...
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/28/2006, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My brother made a comment to me that's worth repeating here. Treadwell had seen too many Disney animal shows. He seemed to think Mr. Fox and Mr. Bear should play and dance and sleep together. Nature is not that way.

The bear that killed and ate him was not being malevolent. It was just another kill to the bear. If Treadwell's girlfriend would have just walked away she likely would have survived the attack. I don't blame her for fighting for her friend. I would do the same for my kids if they were attacked.

One bear died due to his actions. Other bears may die also if they become too aggressive due to his close contact. I don't think that's the legacy he wanted.
Vashti

PostPosted: 2/28/2006, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is what is so ludicrous about that documentary. I am not sure that Treadwell's initial thoughts were to save the bears (it almost seems like a suicide mission to escape after his life problems), but after 13 years, I think he did want to protect the bears.

How ironic that he ended doing just the opposite with killing at least one bear (since park service people don't take kindly to bears eating people), and endangering other bears by acclimating them to people. Indeed, he does give conservationists a bad name. Hopefully, anyone who thinks of him as a serious conservationist will watch the video and see he was nuts instead.

Movie Synapsis: "He loved bears and they ate him anyway."

Yup, wild animals eat things. It is expected. It is just tragic in this case. I still can't get over him talking to bears and foxes like they are little children. "I love you, Mr. Chocolate", indeed... :O

:O
-Vashti

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: