ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
How Many Bee Hives?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/13/2006, 9:41 am    Post subject: How Many Bee Hives? Reply to topic Reply with quote

For the past few years I have found increasing numbers of honey bee hives onmy many outings. Typically in an urban environment but sometimes while hiking. Last year I found 5 I believe, the year before, 4. I'd be interested in seeing what everyone else is finding out there. Particularly the standard honey bee hives. Yesterday (01/12/06) I found my first one of the year. It was 6 inches from a busy sidewalk in an office complex at 24th ave. and Dunlap. They had their hive in a sprinkler box. I informed property management and they're having their "bee guy" come out today to remove the little honey-makers. I hope to be able to watch!

Anyway, I'd like to keep a tab going for interest's sake. If you find a hive out there, I'd like to see your report of where you located it.

Thanks,
GTG
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/13/2006, 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw one down on the San Pedro River on some land we were looking at for purchase. That far south no one wanted to get close because they were probably the agressive ones.

Also, over near the Co river a few years ago one single bee put up a good attack on our group, we all suspected it was an Africanized one.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/14/2006, 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually Africanized bees are not alway aggreesive, well just moody. Since the drought, bees have taken up residence (like everthing else) in our communitites, like bears, coyotes and meth labs.
heather

PostPosted: 5/22/2006, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG- Are you still interested in the hives? There is a large one at the top of Wind Cave at Usery Park. When I hiked up there this morning the thing was covered solid w/ bees. This pic was taken in April 06'. The next time I go up, I will take a recent pic.

http://usera.imagecave.com/dhcsim/pic2-copy.jpg
GTG

PostPosted: 5/22/2006, 2:30 pm    Post subject: bees and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I actually had my chance to deal one on one with a community of the little winged honey gatherers this weekend. I didn't find the hive but I bet I could with a little time.

That hive is similar to the one that HIG and I found in an opening in Haunted Canyon last year. They'll take up residence anywhere.

GTG
heather

PostPosted: 5/22/2006, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The hive is awesome. I have no idea how they keep it stuck to the rock like that. The other thing that amazes me is that there are plants growing out of the rock out of nowhere. That is interesting to see.
IGO

PostPosted: 6/5/2006, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My last summer in Dallas, two years ago, I reported to the proerty manager that I was having increasing difficulty parking my motorcycle for bees swarming. I couldn't tell were the nest was but I was afraid the neighbors kid would be the one to find it. They came around and decided to call a bee expert. Two days later there was a circular saw cut in the side of the upstairs neighbors exterior wall and between the stubs from floor to ceiling. The nest was 7 feet long and weighed a couple hundred pounds. The ground around my door was carpeted with tens of thousands of dead bees.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 6/5/2006, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: bees and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
I actually had my chance to deal one on one with a community of the little winged honey gatherers this weekend. I didn't find the hive but I bet I could with a little time.

That hive is similar to the one that HIG and I found in an opening in Haunted Canyon last year. They'll take up residence anywhere.

GTG

I lived in Duxie for many years. Just walk under any highway underpass and you'll see all the bees and wasp you'd ever hope to see. Another reason I don't live in Dixie anymore.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/5/2006, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Several years ago while I was working in Washington, the city took down a big tree just across the street from the Main Interior Building. It was hollow and the cavity was full of a hive, and years of honey. Ain't they cool?
heather

PostPosted: 6/5/2006, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO- Did you have your camera when they unveiled the one that was 7 feet long? That would have been cool to see.

Bees are interesting , but I have no desire to be up close to them. I stepped on one once at the pool. The bottom of my foot started to tighten up. Immediately after feeling the tightening I started to flex/bend my foot/toes repeatedly and it went away in about 5 minutes. Mind you, the little sucker was already dead and laying in the water that had pooled on the cement. His little stinger had to have been facing straight up. Sad
IGO

PostPosted: 6/5/2006, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No camera. It was kinda sad seeing so many dead bees but the hive was discovered and distroyed when I was at work.
I don't think I would have been interested in trying to take pictures of a 7 foot bee hive right after it was cut open with a power saw. LOL. That's the buzz I get anyway.
heather

PostPosted: 6/5/2006, 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maybe if they offered you one of those protective suits. Smile I wonder how many times those people get stung in a year. Shocked
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/5/2006, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Anyway, I'd like to keep a tab going for interest's sake. If you find a hive out there, I'd like to see your report of where you located it.

I actually spend time trying NOT to find them...as I have come across several over the last coupla months...so put me down for about 20 in Mesa. Surprised ...yep they love those water meter boxes, especially the one shaded by trees or bushes. Sort of a bummer if you are not paying close attention Rant and open one up. So if you see a meter reader running down the street actin' crazy, Scared hands flailing about and panic stricken, you'll most likely find one close by.
GTG

PostPosted: 3/1/2007, 6:53 pm    Post subject: First Hive of 2007 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well I spotted my first bee swarm of the year yesterday. The were all stuck to the grill of a white Ford Delivery van. The were clustered around the grill and the driver's side headlight while the van was moving. I guess Mister Delivery Guy never noticed them and just took off on his deliveries.

One thing to keep in mind with bees; when they're swarming, they are looking for somewhere to set up shop. They will usually try many spots before the queen is satisfied with the location. Swarming bees looking for a new home RARELY attack. Bees with an established hive ARE MORE LIKELY to attack than swarming bees because bees with hives have a home to defend unlike the swarm.

Be careful out there y'all,

GTG
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 3/1/2007, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hmm.. I was just reading this earlier. check it out > http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2314202.ece

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: