ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
My mountain lion story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/13/2006, 5:34 am    Post subject: My mountain lion story Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've seen a couple of mountain lions in Arizona, but this happened in San Diego County years ago, probably in about 1974, and I really don't know if it was a lion or not! Maybe someone out there can figure it out.

I was solo backpacking on the Pacific Crest Trail in or near Cuyamaca State Park. I didn't have a tent, and had been out for several days. (Believe it or not, San Diego County has some good backpacking places.) I was camping in an area mostly vegetated by chaparral-type plants. I was awakened at about 3 a.m. by the most horrific and loud screaming and growling. It was fairly close by, I'd say within 100 yards. It scared me half to death, and then I had to pee, but I was afraid to get out of the (perceived) safety of my sleeping bag. I waited until it was light, about two hours, before I got up the courage to get out of that sleeping bag.

I never went solo hiking again without a tent, although I often leave the tent behind if I'm with others. It really spooked me. At the time I thought it was a bobcat, as I wasn't aware there were pumas in the area. Now I know there are. In fact, a woman was killed by a mountain lion in Cuyamaca State Park. I think this happened in the 80's.

I'm pretty sure mountain lions won't rip up your tent to get at you, although bears have done so. Well, not MY tent, but somebody ELSE's tent! This should really make chflicken's day!
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 1/13/2006, 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would say it probably was a cougar. I lived in San Diego about 10 years; I remember when the woman was killed, jogging I believe. Two lions were killed in Cuyamaca State Park about 5-6 years ago when they were threatening some campers at the horse corral area up there.
I saw a cat up close and personal with Jerry hiking in the border of Los Coyotes Indian res and Anza Borrego on an old abandoned Jeep trail. We walked to what appeared to be the end and I bushwaked thru some spread out manzanita to get to a wash to see if we could continue. Loud crashing in the brush, looked thru and about 15 feet away saw a dappled backside and big yellow eyes. He/She burst thru the brush and ran up the trail we had just come down!!!! Jerry enjoyed my screaming---- Then he had to convince me to walk back up the trail. We didn't have packs so I carried a large rock all the way back to the Jeep to his great amusement.

And yes, San Diego and surrounding areas offer great hiking. Unfortunately a lot of the Cuyamacas burned last year.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 1/13/2006, 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Holy Crap azbackpackr! I probably would have pee'd right then and there IN my sleeping bag! I probably would have died that night of an anxiety attack having no one to reassure me that I was gonna be ok and that he wasn't there to eat me....

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/13/2006, 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've hiked that area near the Los Coyotes Indian Reservation. Have hiked up Coyote Canyon and thence up Sheep Canyon and Alder Canyon. At the time, Sheep Canyon was well-known to area backpackers, but Alder Canyon was so unknown it didn't even have a trail up very far. In fact, I think that's where I went with my pal Ray (a veteran of the John Muir Trail whom I begged to teach me about backpacking) on my very first backpacking trip, where I carried everything but the kitchen sink. I was about 19 at the time. I'll bet now, thinking back, that pack must have weighed about 50 lbs. Plus it was a crappy Camp Trails. The fact that I came home with blistered feet and sore hips & legs did not deter me. I just decided I had to be in better shape and learn to carry less. Also bought a pack that fit me better--the old Adventure 16 Hiphugger. I bought that pack in 1975 and I'm STILL USING IT! I have had to replace all the straps and belt, etc. Great frame. Only you oldtimers will remember it. I can carry a lot of weight in that thing. I'm a diehard, and somewhat of a Spartan. I wear BDU's and all-leather boots. My pals bought me a gift this year--one of those thermarest chairs. I guide trips for a club (Southern Arizona Hiking Club) and they wanted to get me something for putting together some fun backpacks for them. I love it, but it weighs 10 oz! I don't think it will be in my pack for the Mt. Whitney trip in July. And as for peeing in my sleeping bag, I guess I have a strong desire not to have that happen, so it didn't! But I was scared poopie, needless to say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: