ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Looking to buy a solo tent
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 6:58 am    Post subject: Looking to buy a solo tent Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a solo tent. I do have one but it's really marginal. It's a Slumberjack, sags in the rain, and not only can you not sit up in it you can barely raise up your head! My friends call it "The Black Coffin." I have looked at REI online--the MSR Hubba looks good because it's freestanding and weighs only 3 lbs. The REI Roadster is 3 lbs 3 oz, but considerably cheaper, and has a window in the fly, but is not freestanding.

Anyone have any experience with solo tents? I want to be able to sit up in it and it has to weigh close to three pounds or less. Yes, I know I can go lighter with a tarp. Been there done that. I sleep in a tent only when the weather is really bad. Otherwise I prefer the sky as my roof. Lots of headroom there!

I'm hiking to Mt. Whitney in July with some friends from Tucson. Really looking forward to it, but it looks like I'm the odd person out, so will need a solo tent, prefer freestanding, as staking out in those rocky areas can be a pain.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Check these out. I ordered the 2P a week or so ago.

http://www.bigskyproducts.com/SummitShelters/SummitShelters.htm
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You don't mention your budget (if any) but you'd never lose money buying one of these @ 50% off >> http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tents.php?id=sv1sle

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a REI Roadster for sale....$75
The one I'm selling is 2003 model and weighs about 4 ounces more than the one shown here.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47850593&parent_category_rn=4500666&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Used three times; includes footprint.

PM me if interested
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Cholla

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You might want to check out the BD First Light at http://www.bdel.com/gear/firstlight.php

It is free standing, weighs 2# 9oz. and has lots of headroom due to steep walls. It is actually marketed as a two person tent. Two people could sleep in it in a pinch with no gear, but it would be tight. For one person it is a castle. I went through a pretty nasty late winter storm in mine and not a drop of water got in.

The only negative is that if a vestibule is important to you, then that adds weight and is rather expensive as it is a separate purchase. Secondly, I am 5' 11" tall and the length is OK for me. For anyone taller there might be a problem unless you consider sleeping diagonally.
Cholla

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Also, check out http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=11&cat=Shelters

The Lunar Solo is not freestanding and requires one treking pole to set up. It sets up real easy and fast though. As it is a modified teepee design it does not have nearly the headroom that my BD First Light has. Its great in hot weather if there is a breeze blowing through the netting around the bottom. It only weighs 23 oz. This is probably my preferred tent in the Grand Canyon and the First Light my preferred 3 season tent in the mountains. The Lunar Solo also has a small vestibule. handles wind real well. Haven't used it in cold weather yet or been hit with heavy rain in it. Hope this helps.

Check with SEKI on bear cannister requirements before you head out. Last summer in one problem area the only bear canister allowed was the Garcia. These rules are always subject to change.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cholla wrote:
Check with SEKI on bear cannister requirements before you head out. Last summer in one problem area the only bear canister allowed was the Garcia. These rules are always subject to change.

The Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group (SIBBG) has conditionally approved the use of the Ursack Hybrid http://www.ursack.com/home.htm?catalog.htm~primary in the previously restricted areas of the National Parks and Forests in the Sierra: Yosemite, SEKI, Inyo, Devil's Postpile, Stanislaus. http://www.ursack.com/faq.htm

Other bear resistant container options/rules here > http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for all the solo tent and canister info!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Personally I would go with the Big Agnes over the Black Diamond, and the Six Moons is pretty much a tarp tent and you sounded like you didn't want to do that again.

The Big Agnes tent is 25.5 sq feet and right at 3 lbs and a few ounces with stakes. I still think I will order one of those. Plus at 50% off, you should alwyas be able to break even with it on E-bay.

For Bear Canisters I think I will just get a Bear Vault, seems a bit more practical than the Ursack Design.

I dayhiked Whitney 2 years ago, trying to set up a backpack for it this year. We will see? BTW which way are you going?

TIM
chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim, what is it you like about the Big Agnes over the BD First light? Just for curiosity sake as I am getting tired of not having a tent I can hike with these days. The BD looks much easier to set-up, slightly bigger but I am interested in what ya think. I'm probably missing something here?!? Crazy
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Higgs,
Realize that you were asking Tim, but I'd consider ventilation to be a factor - (not to mention a $150.00 difference in price)

chihiggs

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, so the BA is 50% off of the $300 tag--got it now....

And I assumed the solid side of the BD was a fly Embarassed I see the ventilation point now too.... Thanx for bringing it to my attention Kurt!! Very Happy

Kurt, do you use the BA--if so or Tim or anyone with BA experience, what do you think about it's set-up?

Have to be pretty porridge bad to get me to spend the extra $150 though....
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My .02 worth

Stormy high winds-- Sierra Designs Mach 1- 3 pole sits low and bomb proof to the ground fly, a little heavy though at over 3 lbs for solo. Large vestibule and room inside for gear, tough to sit up in tho.
Marmot EOS one-- small but can sit up in it, good construction, quick set up, mesh comes up pretty high and fly low so pretty good in wind for not getting sand in it.

The MSR Hubba single is roomier at same weight but I have that tent and in wind you better have it staked down well and be prepared to have sand/dirt in all your belongings.

BA seedhouse SL1- I am not impressed with durability nor stability without a lot of staking- the free standing is a bit of a misnomer, front is stable but back comes to a single point.

I use a bivy mostly now, unless inclement weather.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

chihiggs wrote:
Oh, so the BA is 50% off of the $300 tag--got it now....

And I assumed the solid side of the BD was a fly Embarassed I see the ventilation point now too.... Thanx for bringing it to my attention Kurt!! Very Happy

Kurt, do you use the BA--if so or Tim or anyone with BA experience, what do you think about it's set-up?

Set-up looks straightforward to me >> http://www.bigagnes.com/tentsetup-sv.pdf
- BA is a mainstream manufacturer... I doubt that they'd make the set-up too awful bad. Also, this layout has been around a while - with a couple of exceptions being the fabric & the hub system. Seems like more and more manufacturers are going with the hubs to save weight while maximizing room.
As well, BA offers a money-back guarantee.

re. my use of one.. no, I've not used the BA (although I've seen them set up)
When I use a tent (infrequently) I take my Stephenson-Warmlite 2X.
I ,however, have quite a few tents (Tomitis Laughing ) ... heck!.. if I had a dollar for every tent I have....... I could buy another TENT...

Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/12/2006, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Higgs,

IMO, I'm not 100% sold on the singlewall BD, plus I use my vesitbule on almost every trip, the BD doesn't come with one and it's an extra. I thnk the BA ends up being 2 oz lighter. Plus with 25.5 sq ft, that is big enough to be a usable 1 person tent, gear inside or out. 38 inches high is enough to sit-up and change in.

The problem RedRoxx said about the Big Anges SL1 with it coming out to one point is not an issue with there new tent. As it squares off at the end now and has a hub on that side so it's 2 poles coming down.

Plus for $150 you can always sell it one e-bay for close to that if not more or if your unhappy with it BA 100% guarentees there products.

I think I just finally talked myself into ordering one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: