ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sightings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/11/2003, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CatValet wrote:
My Ex WAS a Mohave.... Crazy

And when she bit you in the ass Eek you asked Mike to suck the venom out and he said, "Sorry Dude, you're gonna Die!" No
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 4/11/2003, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

More people die of spousal abuse in arizona every year then rattlesnake bites. Who should you be more afraid of?

Interesting stat, where did you get it? (not questioning mind you - it sounds right, I'd just like to know the source).

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 4/11/2003, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Most Rattlesnake bites to humans are dry (no venom injected).

This was what I had always thought too, reason being a rattler isn't going to waste his precious venom on something that is to large to eat.

However I just heard a new statistic on dry socket bites, from a leading expert on Arizona venomous creatures, stating that only 15% of bites to humans are dry socket bites. As J&S, stated in his post, there is a lot of conflicting info. out there. Best course of action is prevention.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/11/2003, 7:42 pm    Post subject: bites and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd say get the Sawyer too. It'll work on bee and scorpion stings as well. You'll know if the bite is dry or not. Where you're bit is going to "burn like fire" if you got a dose. Even if it doesn't hurt, have yourself checked out at the hospital. Snake teeth can break of in the skin easily and cause infections. Don't apply anything to the wound except an extractor. Don't cut, suck (if you have a cut in your mouth or on your lip it can enter your system), ice or anything. Remain calm and get to the emergency room immediately and hope you're not allergic to the antivenin. Don't keep rattlesnakes in the house and if you do, don't think you're faster than them when you clean their cages.

Quote:
My Ex WAS a Mohave....

Oh boy.

GTG
mike t

PostPosted: 4/11/2003, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: bites and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Don't keep rattlesnakes in the house

LOL! Strikes me as the kind of advice we shouldn't have to give out. Like "don't tease the bears", "avoid flames when filling gas tank", packs of silica "should not be taken internally"

I know he meant well, but a guy once pointed out to me while I was trail running that "those rocks are hard if you fall."
mike t

PostPosted: 4/11/2003, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm...

Makes me think. If there is a rock in the desert and nobody there to fall on it, is it hard?
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 4/12/2003, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

More people die of spousal abuse in arizona every year then rattlesnake bites. Who should you be more afraid of?

Quote:

My Ex WAS a Mohave....

I can relate... definitely relate!!

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/13/2003, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The spousal abuse stat I picked up from a guy with the AZ Fish & Game. When I worked in a hanger out at Williams Gateway we found a few rattlers hanging out inside so we called them in to give us a class on the do and don'ts.
If memory serves me right he also said, on average, 6 people a year die from rattle snake bites in the entire US. That's going off memory and may not be right. The 6 part is right but it may be just Arizona.

PostPosted: 4/13/2003, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Deaths Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of the links we posted:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/995_snakes.html

Had this quote from a credible journal:

"Every state but Maine, Alaska and Hawaii is home to at least one of 20 domestic poisonous snake species, according to a study in the August 1, 2002, issue of The New England Journal of Medicine. The article's authors estimate that between 7,000 and 8,000 people a year receive venomous bites in the United States, and about five of those people die. Some experts say that because people who are bitten can't always positively identify a snake, they should seek prompt care for any bite, though they may think the snake is nonpoisonous. Even a bite from a so-called "harmless" snake can cause an infection or allergic reaction in some individuals."

We think it's pretty safe to say that far more people than "about five" die from domestic abuse situations each year.

Have you ever read a story somewhere that you couldn't ever forget?
Then a few years later you'd give anything if you actually had the clipping to prove your "recollections" were based on a news story.

Well, that's the way we feel about this story. We'd give almost anything to have to clipping filed away somewhere.

Seems this guy had this pet rattlesnake and he wanted to tame it so that he could kiss it. No kidding. Anyway, he finally got around to kissing this snake and it did what any self-respecting snake would do--it bit him right on the tongue.

Well, this guy thought he had a "remedy" figured out--jumper cables. He'd heard somewhere that people in the Amazon supposedly neutralize venomous bites that way. So he jumped his tongue. Naturally, that was not a good idea and he wound up getting his entire tongue amputated.

Who knows if we even remember the exact details of that story correctly after a few years and a few beers? But we think we do, anyway.

Even though we think we are pretty dumb and goofy lots of times, we realize that we have a LONG way to go to get THAT dumb and goofy!

J&S
plummer150

PostPosted: 4/14/2003, 1:57 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Makes me think. If there is a rock in the desert and nobody there to fall on it, is it hard?

Nope, same with the statement: If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it still make a sound? The answer to both are no.
mike t

PostPosted: 4/14/2003, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Right. It was just a cheap rip off of the "tree falls" quote. You seem pretty solid in your opinion on this. Care to explain, or back it up??
Nealz

PostPosted: 4/16/2003, 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've seen the highest concentration of rattlers in the Chiricauhas but the biggest Western Diamondback I've ever seen was right in the middle of Pass Mtn Trail in the Userys some years ago in early May.

Last summer I was on my front porch in Gilbert at about 05:00 and saw a coyote come trottin' down the street like he owned it. Very cool.

-Nealz
J&S

PostPosted: 4/27/2003, 8:27 pm    Post subject: What happened? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, whatever happened to this fine topic? Did it just slither away? Or coil up and go to sleep? Surely some of you have had snake encounters, sightings or whatever you want to call 'em. How about some first hand reports? Has any of the "under 35" crowd become adept at snake tossing?
Let's hear some more snake stories. We LOVE snake stories!

j&s
ck1

PostPosted: 4/27/2003, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This morning on our run Pat and I saw a coyote running along the wall of the retirement community just south of us...he was about 10 yards ahead, then turned along the wall line out of my sight...as we came even with the wall I looked for it in the field and it was gone...then I noticed it standing atop the 9 foot wall...it was standing on the wall just watching us run past...then he followed us on our return...I think he was interested in buffett...

This afternoon while paddling out at Canyon Lake I had another sighting...a HUGE fish jumped not 4 feet off the side of my kayak...startled the crap out of me!

"The Journey is the Destination"
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/27/2003, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

See coyotes here in SCW all the time....shade trees, lakes, quail and cotton tails golore! Bo always wanted me to let him loose so he could go fight them! And Strider seems to show the same inclination. 'senjis would hold there own except for the one major disadvantage.....no protective coat for a coyote to have to bite through.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: