ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Red Mountain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Playhog

PostPosted: 4/9/2003, 8:10 am    Post subject: Red Mountain Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi to all.
I was wondering if anyone has ever hiked up Red Mountain.
It looks beautiful this year, almost as much green as red.
I live within hiking distance and have great curiosity for
what's up there.
Does anyone have any info??
Thanks,
Kenny
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 4/9/2003, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Red Mountain is on private property owned by the Fort McDowell tribe and is off-limits to hiking and climbing. Crying or Very sad
sidhayes

PostPosted: 4/9/2003, 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikeaz.com has a write up of this mountain.
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/9/2003, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you are talking about Red Mountain north of Mesa, forget about it. It is on Salt River Indian land and they don't let people up there.
Supposedly it's sacred land.

Punishment for trespassing on Indian land is a fine of up to $10,000 and they can/will confiscate any and all possesions you have with you, including your car.
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 4/9/2003, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are you talking about the Red Mountain north of Flagstaff on Hwy 180?
cactuscat

PostPosted: 4/9/2003, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been admiring the green on Red Mountain, too!
Yes, it's off limits. Yes, people still climb it.
Yes, it's on my list. Diablo
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 4/10/2003, 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Illigal mountains are fun. I've done 2 of them up in Flagstaff. I think its quite rediculous to be closing off mountians.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 4/10/2003, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I think its quite rediculous to be closing off mountians.

Well, that all depends on why you're closing them off. If the mountain is on private land, well, then it's their choice. That is the nature of private land - you can do with it what you will. If I see someone in my back yard that wasn't invited - I'd be prettey peeved. Makes no difference what is on the land - it's still private and it is still theirs to do with as they please.

I'd also like to climb on the cliffs near McDowel road - but they are on National Guard property - so I can't. My tough luck. But you don't hear about too many people willing to risk the ire of the National Guard like people are willing to trespass on Native American tribal land.

The fact that it is a mountain which is highly visible, beautiful and aluring to all of us that hike really doesn't make much difference. It's their land, they say no - so the crime of trespassing applies, no matter how much we wish it didn't.

If you want to hike it (and I know several people who have) - go right ahead. You'll be breaking the law and hopefully you'll be perfectly willing to accept the consequences.

It's just like speeding. You know the law - you know it is wrong, and when you get caught you're mad, but you know you were doing the wrong thing. (notice I said nothing about the unconstitutional photo-radar - even though it is local law).

Sorry if I sound a little harsh - but this is an issue that I feel pretty strongly about. Personal desires aside - I'd love to go hike it - wanted to all my life. But - the Tribe says: No. I have to respect their desires. They call it sacred - that's fine. I would be pretty miffed if I somebody treating my church with disrespect too. I may not understand fully their rationale or the deep meanings in their religion - but I don't have to. I know their policy. Good enough for me. I don't need to understand the why in a religious matter. It'd be nice - but it isn't necessary.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 4/10/2003, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Reminds me of Mt Baldy near Sunrise which only the official summit is open to tribe members-top often isn't even posted since members of tribe
remove the signs.

Tribal members have been known to take your money and gear if they catch you on the summit.

If you don't get robed then the tribal police have a 4x4 road that you can't see.

Local Forest Service rangers in the Baldy area know all about this mess and do little to warn the public and have posted no signs on the upper trails warning people? 95 percent of the climb is in the USA but you might not know where the tribe's land begins (often no signs) and find yourself in trouble with a sovereign nation.
azrocks

PostPosted: 4/10/2003, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well said, Daddee, but I don't totally agree. Your own private property was stolen
by superior military force, first from the Indians, then from the Mexicans. Is your
respect for private property strong enough that you are willing to return it to its
rightful owner ? I wouldn't want people wandering over my back yard, but what
if I owned something unique like the Grand Canyon ? Would it be right for me to
deny public access ? I've always appreciated the sentiments of Chief Seattle :
http://www.dimensional.com/~randl/linx.htm
even if it isn't authentic, and when I trespass on Indian sacred property, I try
to treat it with as much respect as any other part of this totally sacred planet.
sidhayes

PostPosted: 4/10/2003, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I understand that the tribe is working on a financial deal regarding access to the mountain. If money can be made through entrance fees, then the mountain could be taken off the sacred list.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 4/10/2003, 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sidhayes wrote:
I understand that the tribe is working on a financial deal regarding access to the mountain. If money can be made through entrance fees, then the mountain could be taken off the sacred list.

I was wondering about that sentiment....Mt.Baldy is Ok as long as you pay you way to have a permit...so are quite a few other places.

I guess this works like the "USE FEE" model .....
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 4/10/2003, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did Baldy twice last summer and both times I asked tribe about any permits and was told it's sacred land and you had to be a tribal member.

Only the summit/peak of Mt Baldy is on the rez and the rest is controlled by US/NF. Peak is supposed to be sacred and if they wanted $$$$ they could control it like they do dayhikes into Cibicue?

I am curious about the source of this info because I would like to learn more?
desertgirl wrote:
sidhayes wrote:

I was wondering about that sentiment....Mt.Baldy is Ok as long as you pay you way to have a permit...so are quite a few other places.

I guess this works like the "USE FEE" model .....
Daryl

PostPosted: 4/10/2003, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another thing to remember when trespassing on indian land. Any citizen of the reservation can make a citizens arrest and enforce the law. This means they can take your back pack and your car, they don't have to be a tribal police officer to do this and there is nothing anyone off the resevation can do about it.
When you are on indian reservation it is like being in a different country.

PostPosted: 4/10/2003, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've heard this is true on Mt Baldy expect the locals/rez were taking peoples stuff and selling it right away in the stores.
(this doesn't seem right especially since there's often no signs)

Apache police were ticketing most.

Quote:
Daryl wrote:
Another thing to remember when trespassing on indian land. Any citizen of the reservation can make a citizens arrest and enforce the law. This means they can take your back pack and your car, they don't have to be a tribal police officer to do this and there is nothing anyone off the resevation can do about it.
When you are on indian reservation it is like being in a different country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: