ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Fall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/14/2005, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Fall Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fall is a predictable time for me. October is utah, then late Oct/ early November the canyons call me to see the trees dressed in all their finery of fall colors. It is irresistable for me, I only have to seek them out a certain time, or all is lost for the year.
The trees wait for no one.

In the canyons, it is quiet, the leaves flutter down if disturbed by the currents, or if it is simply time. Time for everything I think; when I walk here. I am lost to time, in a blazing ampitheatre of sundry hues at the whim of light. I am anxious to see my old friends, some trees that do not fail to disappoint in the several years I have been coming here. Some are not as showy, others take over. I leave the trail often to walk among the boulders, the best trees lining the drainage, not by the trail. Whatever, I know where the path is if I need it. I move so slowly with the camera, I make no time.

It is amazing the transformation here. The canyons are a long drive from the cities; I walk here alone mostly, and feel absorbed by the magnificence around me. The sun tracks the sky, and I only know I will walk out before dark. I move lazily, and look all around me. Just a step here, a look there, it is all different. The camera is busy, at times I sit on a rock or log and let my hand drift through the leaf litter. I study the leaves, the veins, colors, textures, imperfections. I find one tree whose boughs drift down over a bank of soft soil and leaves. I lay here and look overhead as the sun streaks through, and makes it a kaleidescope. Another is an impossible molten gold, a pure color not in existence anywhere but here and now. When I saw it I ran down the little hill, almost falling, and I came to a stop before twinned Yucca plants, as if the gates to the kingdom.

How wonderful this place is, it's very existance. A mere blip in time, then the canyons will assume another cycle. The trees will sleep, then grow the green leaves, and await the signal for change again. I will wait anxiously for another year. I love this time of year like no other, the coming of winter, a time for me to return to the low deserts I love, to hike in the cooler weather, to wrap the fleece around me at night. Happiness for me is this walk, no destination, just what is.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/14/2005, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice Letty
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 11/14/2005, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fall Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:

I love this time of year like no other

and I am in love with your words......read them three times........lyrical, poetic, powerful
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/14/2005, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just looking at your pictures, amazing as usual!
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 11/14/2005, 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fall Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:
RedRoxx44 wrote:

I love this time of year like no other

and I am in love with your words......read them three times........lyrical, poetic, powerful
I was reading Ellen Meloy's "Raven's Exile - A Season On the Green River" today, just before I saw your post. So well done, L. Thank you.

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 11/14/2005, 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I nominate Letty as AZH Poet-in-Residence.

All in favor, say Aye!

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
IGO

PostPosted: 11/15/2005, 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

indeed
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Cholla

PostPosted: 11/15/2005, 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beautiful photography and poetic writing. Thank you.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 11/15/2005, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bravo,Letty!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/15/2005, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Letty you never cease to amaze me... Someday I hope I'm as adventurous as you. I think it might be catching. Beautiful pics and writing, how wonderful.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: