ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Winter Jacket
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Winter Jacket Reply to topic Reply with quote

Being that is finally cold outside and winter is when I do majority of my backapcking, I was wondering what outerlayer everyone uses. As of now I only use my REI thermals and a crappy Columbia fleece. I'm usually fine but I do get a little cold when the temps hit freezing. My dilema is to go for the warth of down jacket, or the utility of a soft shell. I can get out for way cheeper and plenty warm with the down. The soft shell has much better rain and wind protection though.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sierra trading post has a GoLite 800 fill down jacket that weighs 11 oz, for $99
im thinkin it should make the santa list

what i do
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike do you have the exact name of link for that? Having a hard time finding it Smile
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sorry man, It was in the recent adventure edge catalog, I couldnt find it online either. Maybe I screwed up when I tossed the catalog. lets see if cynhikr has any info.

what i do
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This doesn't look too bad though:
GoLite Ether Windshell Pullover Jacket $39.95
Weighs 3oz
I'm not much of a believer in the breathable softshell thing, so I mught just get this for the rain and my regular sweathirt/sleeped shirt for warmth. I don't mind being wet in summer, but wet in winter can be a big problem.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.44288/dept_id./qx/product.htm

Sorry couldn't get the picture to work
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was checking this one out.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.43604/dept_id./est./qx/product.htm

But no one else has answeared the ? yet. What do you rely on as of now.

I love the gear thread,...so, so, easy to get led astray Laughing

-Hunter S. Thompson
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well last winter I used a Sierra Designs Microlight Jacket as the shell, with my Air Force "Sleeper Shirt" (Green Sweat Shirt type thing) as the insulation layer.
Cholla

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You might want to check out the Thermawrap jacket at www.montbell.com

I have not used it in true winter snow conditions, but as a mid layer where temperatures were hovering close to freezing, it was cold and damp after a night of rain in the canyon, with snow on the rim.

I weighed my men's large at 10.5 ounces.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love down but it's iffy in the wet...or the sweat. I like to layer. Here's my approach in cooler weather:

REI MTS long sleeve polypro T-shirt
REI zip stretch Heavyweight expedition poly underwear Top
200 weight "windstopper" fleece jacket
fleece stocking cap
fleece gloves in pack
Goretex hooded rainshell in pack
just in case, microfiber down vest for backup

I have a down jacket but it gets too warm on the trail. Maybe if winter at 12k.....

Never underestimate the heat loss from a bare head, or the wicking of heat in wind if you don't have a windproof layer. Got through a nasty three day rain/sleet/snow/lightning storm above treeline on the Continental Divide years ago, thanks to Goretex and Malden Mills fleece. -R
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/13/2005, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DR, I had the WM Flight down jacket, it was too much warmth and I never used it exept that one time at Hellsgate for 10 minutes. I ended up selling it to a guy in Canada.
I would go with down again exept this time something like a vest- Montbell makes a nice one.
I usually wear a polyprop fleece by Duofold, layered with a DriClime windshirt and a beanie, but there were times when I'd wished for a balaclava.
The OR windstopper fleece gloves are a good choice, flexible for small objects and run about $10 on sales.
I was eyeing that Golite windshirt Tim- looks like a life saver in mild months.
While working in the field a lot of guys will have 4 layers of cotton covered with Carhartt overalls, a beanie and leather gloves- i show up in a windshirt and I get some pretty funny looks. Mr. Green

what i do
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 11/14/2005, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

REI makes a nice fleece jacket.... I believe that it's called the Muir Woods.
This is a denser fleece than I've ever had before & it is quite warm & blocks the wind pretty well, also.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47813182&parent_category_rn=4501418
It's not on sale right now, but often is. Even at "full pop", it's not terribly priced, @ 69.00.
I couple that with a Moonstone down vest when appropriate....
Another terrific (and inexpensive) jacket is Golite's Six-Month Night or (my personal favorite) the "Coal". I've used this jacket down to 19 degrees (any colder than THAT & I don't GO) & been warm.
They both ( I believe) are discontinued, so you'll need to look around a bit to find them.
I DO have a New, with tags, never worn, Golite "Blur" jacket in stock @ 65.00 if anyone is interested (black, men's L - note: Golite's jackets run small, so this would likely fit to a 41", maybe 42" chest)
https://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp?pn=1-067778

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 11/14/2005, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mikeinFHAZ wrote:
sorry man, It was in the recent adventure edge catalog, I couldnt find it online either. Maybe I screwed up when I tossed the catalog. lets see if cynhikr has any info.

Nope... but REI has a $99.00 down jacket (medium weighs 22 oz., though)
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47812898&parent_category_rn=4501424

Or this SD down jacket @ REI-OUTLET $87.93

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47993836.htm?vcat=OUTLET_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_SA

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
IGO

PostPosted: 11/19/2005, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just ordered the REI Gossimer Primaloft (sale $109.00)and the REI Ultra light (sale $99) for my winter outer layers. I've not field tested any of this so I'll just have to let you know. Other than that, I've got every fasion-O-fleece known to human kind. LOL.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 11/19/2005, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That looks like a real winner for high winds in the Fall.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 11/22/2005, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

REI Down Vest 17oz 650 fill down. On Sale for $49.99

REI DOWN VEST

or REI Generator Down Jacket 22oz 650 fill down. On Sale for $69.99

REI DOWN JACKET

Sale good through Nov 27th
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: