ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lance wannabe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Lance wannabe Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey - can anybody out there suggest a good road cycling route in the NE Mesa area...I've just been heading out and seeing where the road takes me, but it usually ends up taking me west, toward heavier traffic, because bike lanes are available...

I'm familar with the Power Road to Ellsworth loop, and don't yet have the guts to head out to Canyon lake...

Any suggestions would be great!

"The Journey is the Destination"
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ride along the lower Salt River up over Usery Pass back to Power Road and your starting point. Or you park along the lower Salt River and ride around. I park at the Bashas's on Power and ride to the lower Salt River. I would also recommend this ride during the week. Another place I went riding this past week was around Sunflower. I parked near the Sunflower Store and rode along the old segment of the Beeline Highway.
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker wrote:
I went riding this past week was around Sunflower. I parked near the Sunflower Store and rode along the old segment of the Beeline Highway.

Nighthiker-

That's a great idea. I'm sure there is hardly any traffic on that stretch anymore. Hmmm.

-Nealz

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't own a road bike but I like to mtn. bike. Like hiking I stick to the higher elevations. Any suggestions for mtn bike trails nearby that are not too crowded?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just started riding again about six months ago and I have several bikes street and a mtn. bike. I picked up a copy of Phx Metro bike routes at a bike shop. I ride once a week along Indian Bend Wash or as an alternate some where else in town, I rode around in Tempe today. I am still exploring areas to ride.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nealz wrote:
Nighthiker wrote:
I went riding this past week was around Sunflower. I parked near the Sunflower Store and rode along the old segment of the Beeline Highway.

Nighthiker-

That's a great idea. I'm sure there is hardly any traffic on that stretch anymore. Hmmm.

-Nealz

How far from Mesa are we talking here? I'm not familar with this area...

ck1

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cindy wrote:
I don't own a road bike but I like to mtn. bike. Like hiking I stick to the higher elevations. Any suggestions for mtn bike trails nearby that are not too crowded?

Cindy - during the week, most decent trails are going to be crowded, especially this time of year...however...there are a few "jems" that never seem to be too crowded...

I avoid South Mountain like the plague. I've only ridden there once...too many people.

I like McDowell...there's a bike only section, just past the enterance (on the left) with three loops, one fast, one technical, and one long (less than 10 miles)...these are considered race loops, so on the weekends, people ride fast, but during the week, I've never found them too crowded....if you want more of a easy going pace, try the Pemberton Trail..it's long, but can be cut short by taking alternative trails...get a map at the enterance station, and say hi to Bob, he's from Minnesota and works at the park during the winters...

Usery has a number of trails open to cyclists...I believe that the Pass Mtn Loop has reopened to mtn bikes...as I understand it, a guy died out on the trail a few years back and they cut off bike traffic...the trails all connect out there, so you can choose your distance...though there is a bit of sand!

White Tanks has a few bike loops, but I haven't ridden out there as of yet...

San Tan recently opened up some bike trails, but again, haven't been out there...

Trail 100 is open to bikes, but it is ongodly rocky and not a favorite of mine, though it is popular...

As for "non park" rides...there are many...one of my favorites is out near me...the Hawes Road area...

Let me know if you'd like more info on some of the non-park trails...

Nealz

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1 wrote:
...one of my favorites is out near me...the Hawes Road area...

Yup, that's my favorite. Combine that ride with the TRW stretch too. Not crowded, even on wekends.

-Nealz
ck1

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nealz wrote:
ck1 wrote:
...one of my favorites is out near me...the Hawes Road area...

Yup, that's my favorite. Combine that ride with the TRW stretch too. Not crowded, even on wekends.

-Nealz

Opens up a whole new area to explore...Hawes/TRW...personal favorite...could be because I can ride there from my house though...

Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/12/2003, 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ck1, Sunflower is about 27 miles NE of Mesa on AZ 87 (Beeline Highway). On the old highway segment just south and north of the Sunflower work center there is a concrete barrier across the road but you can get around it on foot or bike. The forest service told me it was okay. I also obtained a Cygolite Night-Rover light for my Mtn. bike and I am extremly pleased with it.
mountainbikexena

PostPosted: 1/15/2003, 9:11 am    Post subject: Mountainbiking Reply to topic Reply with quote

for mountainbiking trails try: www.mbaa.net
jamesallenaz

PostPosted: 1/23/2003, 6:18 am    Post subject: Good site! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks .... I'm new to PHX also ... love to hike and Mountain Bike ... and think I'll end up being a regular on this site ... GREAT help for us newbie's ... THANKS
Wiz

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CK1,
This seems as good a place as any to ask you how your marathon training is going.
gps_hiker

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nealz wrote:
Nighthiker wrote:

Where & how do you get to the Sunflower Store?

I remember about 20 years ago when I took the little 10-speed up from Scottsdale to Sunflower there was a place but I think that place is gone?

Wow, that ride was scary with only 1 lane in each direction...Wouldn't even think about riding it even today with the divided highway--too many crazy drivers. ( 20 years ago it wasn't bad )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: