ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bright Angel Trail ( A portion..that is)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 10:50 pm    Post subject: Bright Angel Trail ( A portion..that is) Reply to topic Reply with quote

This was my first trip up to the Canyon. Words just can't describe it as everyone who's seen it knows. We arrived Saturday at around 10am, and found very few people there. We checked out some overlooks, then hiked a short portion of the Bright Angel. We descended down to the 3 mile point. It was a very nice day, and required no more than a long sleeve shirt, with a fleece for some parts. We passed a fair number of people coming up from their stay at the bottom. There was snow in many parts, but didn't require anything more than hiking boots. This 6 mile hike was very fun and was a great warmup for our hike in Saguaro N.P. This wetted my appetite for more hiking in the Canyon. Especially the sight of the trail going over the edge of the last cliff you can see until it goes down to the river. Not being able to see what was over that cliff was very mysterious. I loved the fact that there weren't many people there. I don't know if I would be able to handle it during the peak times. Now I just have to get in shape for the R-R-R!! (Maybe next year Cool)
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi dennisbench, that trail that appeared to go "over the edge of the last cliff" was the trail out from Indian Garden to Plateau Point. Over the edge is right; once you get out to the point of that plateau it's almost a straight drop, 1,600 feet to the river. I hiked out to the point my second hike in the Canyon in '01 and it's really awesome view! But all you can do is go back the way you came. Round trip from the rim to the point is 12.2 miles and managable as a day hike if you have plenty of water, salty snacks and do it before it gets too hot. Trail to the river goes down the right side of that plateau.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
ck1

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dennis - congrats on discovering my favorite place on earth...the canyon is just amazing...in the 3+ years I've lived here, I've average one visit every 3 months...it's amazing!

"The Journey is the Destination"
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bright Angel Trail ( A portion..that is) Reply to topic Reply with quote

dennisbench wrote:
This wetted my appetite for more hiking in the Canyon.

Dennisbench-

It's a disease that has no known cure... except more hiking in the Canyon. Hiking

-Nealz
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done 5 backpacking trips down it and 2 day trips. My last was Dec. 2000. I really miss it. Its an increadible place. I'll probably never hike it again. Sad

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon addicts are welcome at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/grandcanyon/messages
and
http://www.gchba.org/ Mary
dennisbench

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really would like to go up there a few times a year, I can't imagine going up in the summer though. The visitation stats on the NPS website are staggering Shocked http://www.nps.gov/grca/facts/mthstat.htm, the fact that winter limits the number of people visiting nov-feb makes me want to go during those times, weather permitting of course. When I've been to Yellowstone and Glacier during the summer, you can normally avoid the masses by getting on the trails a bit, it seems like there isn't much you can do to get away from the masses at G.C. At least until you get more experienced at hiking there, to leave the main trails, I guess.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Think that usually, once you pass the three mile rest house, the crowds disappear on BA; and the best part of the hike, in my mind, comes after that. it's the summer heat as you drop in elevation that's the danger. And about all you'll find anytime of year, on the the non-maintained trails are the experienced hikers.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you want to go up in the summer go up Hwy 89 on the Cameron side. No lines at the gate. When you are on the rim walk 50 feet away from the parking lot and you will feel as if you have the place to yourself. Tourists stay in herds bless them. Take a picnic.
Speaking of picnics the Grand Canyon Pioneers just changed their name to the GC Historical something. They felt people were turned off by the pioneers and felt they had to be one to join. This is a great group--I have been a member for three or four years. I will see if I can dig up their web site. They have a fun picnic every June on the rim in a private place.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.kaibab.org/gcps/gc_gcps.htm Found it. They also have an Easter sunrise hike at South Bass every year--I have not attended that one but I will. All of the programs that I have been to were fun even though some of them sounded rather dry they were interesting and I was glad I went.
ck1

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

maryphyl wrote:
If you want to go up in the summer go up Hwy 89 on the Cameron side. No lines at the gate. When you are on the rim walk 50 feet away from the parking lot and you will feel as if you have the place to yourself.

It is certainly worth the extra drive time!

maryphyl wrote:
Tourists stay in herds bless them.

Yes they do...if you really want to avoid the crowds...go to an area where you can't buy food! No Food for sale = no tourists. That equation also works for toilets.

"The Journey is the Destination"
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually it is not any longer to go up 89. It is 45 miles from Flagstaff to Cameron and then 30 miles up to the park. I think it is 90 miles going up the other way. It is longer if you are going to the village of course but only 5 or 10 miles more.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you go up 89 be sure to pull over at an overlook of the little colorado river. There is a certain point that its an 800 foot drop and very narrow; very impressive.
As far as the crouds go I have noticed alot are japs and the like to stay in one huge group. They never seam to leave the group.
I personally have never been to the grand canyon in the summer, not only is it too touristry, but too hot. There was one time we did a 4 day trip in the end of september and it got to 96 degrees, way too hot. We usually tried for December or January to do our hiking. I have hiked down it in the snow most of the times i've hiked it.
Hiking it durring spring break was a bad idea Confused Bright Angel campground was full and we say the most rediculus things that trip; people with full siz tents, lanterns, we even saw two people at the bottom of the kiabab trail hauling a cooler down the trail Rolling Eyes

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 8:29 pm    Post subject: groups of a kind and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
As far as the crouds go I have noticed alot are japs and the like to stay in one huge group. They never seam to leave the group.

Not to be a jerk, but if I had taken a trip with a group of Yankee tourists to let's say Osaka, and we decided to go to Mt. Fuji. I would probably stick with the same group of people I went with, that spoke my same language too. I probably have noticed more people of German descent in my trips to the Canyon. They tend to stick in groups too.

And again I don't want to sound like a jerk again, but the term "japs" sounds a little derogatory to me. I hiked with a "jap" to the peak of Humphreys last year, and she was one of the first ones of our group to the top.

If I'm out of line, everybody please let me know.

Thanks,
GTG
tracker

PostPosted: 1/9/2003, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah to be "politically correct" we should call them Nipponese Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: