ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Shameless self promo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 9/8/2005, 9:26 pm    Post subject: Shameless self promo Reply to topic Reply with quote

For some stupid reason twenty years ago I decided to abandon my long time passion of drawing and painting in acrylic and watercolor. When I was only five years old in 1954 I painted my first oil painting with a little help from my aunt (she furnished the supplies). I still have that painting. It was a bull in a corral, very expressive and abstract. My aunt influenced me a lot, not only artistically but spiritually as well. But I learned to love art; I loved everything about it, looking at it, doing it, learning it, hanging out at openings and gallery hopping and socializing with the artists and patrons of the arts and on and on. Most of all though there is something that compels me to paint and draw and express and interpret, and I think it is God given and I'm not talking talent, but an overwhelming desire to be in and around art. When I was in high school I loved art, but it was a hard time for me then being at that awkward social age and trying to be accepted and all that so I opted not to pursue it, besides my father, a lawyer, was against it; it wasn't a manly career. So when I went to college it was under the pretense of pre-law. I was so hung over the day of the Law School Admission Test that I slept right through it. Whoops! Long story short: went back to school and added to the art classes that I had taken as free electives my senior year at NAU, got a job in a commercial studio doing layouts for directory ads and life was good. My career as an artist was taking off. I was juried into the Arizona Watercolor Association, Contemporary Watercolor Association and the Arizona Artists Guild. I was winning awards and selling paintings. I exhibited regionally, nationally and internationally with the Western Federation of Watercolor Societies and the San Diego Watercolor Association. In the mid 80's I quit painting. I don't know why, perhaps it was the pressure of raising children. Who's to say, but the decision was definitely a brain cramp-seizure-spasm-whatever. I didn't ever lose my love for art though, to the extent that one of those young children now grown is an artist and quite a good one I might add. Long story short again: about a year and a half ago I was cleaning out my garage and came across some flat files with old works of mine. I decided to see what they would fetch on eBay. I was amazed and inspired and encouraged by the purchases, feedbacks, encouraging comments and so on. With a little more encouraging from my wife Janet and daughter Briana to set up half of my bedroom as a studio, I decided to get back into it. Recently I was inspired by the writings and paintings of Everett Reuss and the films based on those writings. All of this being said, here are some of my images. Some are old and some are new. I feel good about doing this again, even though I'm rarely satisfied with anything I paint, I have to keep doing it. I paint a lot of different themes from the spiritually inspired to nature and where I've been and what I think about it and feel about it and my interpretation of it. None of the images here are the images that were, I believe, done at the height of my artistic endeavors in the early to mid 80's. This is work that I've done recently or has been in the garage for twenty years. Also it is not the of best digital reproduction or resolution. I would like to make my night job my day job or at least make it viable enough to supplement my anticipated meager retirement. I'm seriously thinking about getting my k-12 substitute certificate renewed and just jumping out there living dangerously and taking a few risks. Can't take much more hanging out in the cubicle world. It SUCKS the life right out of you.

Hiking and outdoor related

Other images

Current eBay auctions
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/8/2005, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well, you know what I think of your art; love it and wore it, Tony's Cabin T-Shirt, while in the White Mountains this past week. I'm fortunate to have the original. Talent like that is beyond me.....I can put a brush, pencil...you name it.....in my hand and say to my hand, "Do what Stans does!" And my hand starts shaking with laughter. Very happy to see you getting back into it; think it's your calling and think it reflects what a deep feeling and caring man the hand that holds your brush is attached to. A good man....a good father.....a good husband....a good friend. Thank You!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 9/8/2005, 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think someone might be "channeling " a little of Everett. Really , Stan, OMG---wonderful talent all your own.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
well, you know what I think of your art; love it and wore it, Tony's Cabin, while in the White Mountains this past week. Talent like that is beyond me.....I can put a brush, pencil...you name it.....in my hand and say to my hand, "Do what Stans does!" And my hand starts shaking with laughter. Very happy to see you getting back into it; think it's your calling and think it reflects what a deep feeling and caring man the hand that holds your brush is attached to. A good man....a good father.....a good husband....a good friend. Thank You!

Well aside from the wearing it while in the White Mtns this past week (although I DO love my Tony Cabin sweatshirt!!!), I totally agree with Hooli on this!!

Your "Spoonful" painting is proudly displayed in my living room where I look at it and smile every day!! You have a wonderful talent, I too am pleased to see you jump back into it with the enthusiasm that you have, the magic you produce with that brush is awesome!! Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I too will own a Stan Kurth original one day! I love your work and am waiting for the right one to "speak to me" so I can make it mine! God gave you a talent that most don't get and you use it with such grace and style. I will keep my eye out on your ebay auctions and your galleries....

I want to shine!
outside1

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All I can say it WOW!

I to will need to own several kurthzone originals.

Stan the nature ones really speak to me I love the feelings I have when looking at them. Thanks for sharing!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On some of those paintings I'm pretty sure I know where I would have to stand to see what you saw.

Amazing stuff Stan.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 10:32 am    Post subject: artistry and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I too enjoy Stan's artisitic talents. I own two of his paintings which hang in my living room as well.

GTG
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would call it talent. The guy carving the pumkin is oustanding as are they all.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So where is the link to the gallery Very Happy Goodluck Paintninaz....On you Ebay purchase or bid shall I say
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
So where is the link to the gallery

It's at the bottom of Stan's post.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
terricita10

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Those are awesome Stan, I love the picket post one! Wonderful!!!!!!

Terri
cakewalk

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Im Attached to both "Canyon Forms " and " Concerning copper".

I would be interested in pricing on either or both, if you can bring yourself to part with them. In Fact I like the pic on the top of your home page too...

Pm Sent

Iv always wished I could draw or paint, but alas, Im too colorblind. Sad
chihiggs

PostPosted: 9/9/2005, 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing Stan. I'm looking forward to seeing one for real. I admire that type of talent.
Daryl

PostPosted: 9/11/2005, 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great work Stan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: