ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cell Phones -- Which provider works the best ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Cell Phones -- Which provider works the best ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its time to retire my 1999 Sprint PCS phone (Yep, I am eleigible for a new free phone with a 2 year lockdown Sad ) .... I am in the market for replacing my Sprint Phone and wanted to get the group's feedback on what network provides the best coverage ....my use model for AZ coverage is typical AZ Hikers ....Most of my travel locally is related to going to & fro hikes and the Grandcanyon! I do travel across the US for business so intra state coverage in major cities is important - but I am sure no matter what the provider they will have acceptable coverage in major metros ..

So I am looking for some group help in helping me pick ....
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been happy with Verizon, I've had service in places my friends haven't. Although the last few times to the canyon it's been hit or miss.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:

I've been happy with Verizon

Ditto
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Verizon's rated #1 in every category by Consumer Reports.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Andy

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Verizon for me too!

http://community.webshots.com/album/136917818udlQWZ
doug

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have Alltel, and I have had good luck with them. Will be going over to verizon do to a better plan with 4 phones (kids) through work.
terricita10

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Verizon in most places does have the best coverage. But at the Grand Canyon we do not have towers, Altel does and I've heard that people switch to the A side to pick up the coverage. Ive known of a few phones that were wrecked by this. I'm not sure how but after they get the Altel system and try to switch back the phone wont verify on the the network. Last call I can make is in Valle, I dont think I was able to call out in Tusayan. Verizon does not carry the "coolest" phones, like the razor. I dont think some of the cool phones stand up to our durability test. I work for Verizon Wireless and the other carriers do work in most major metro areas but we do have the best coverage going out to the more remote areas. See ya at the store Ambika Laughing Laughing
Terri
doug

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My wife has Verizon her coverage is not as good as mine in the Presscot and Grand Canyon areas so I do not know how they can claim better coverage you have to check the area that you will be in the most outside the metro area. The coolest phone may as well be a stone if it doesn't work, or have service.
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah Terri, ya do need to set up a tower at the South Rim.....Hide it in Goatboy's pack
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
doug

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Alltel has a tower at Crazy Jug Point on the north rim. but verizon can't get one on the south rim. Say What? Say What?
beckett

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This may sound crazy but I would ask...who do you call the most? And what provider do they have? Cingular, as with many others, offer free minutes when you call people with the same provider. If my best friend and I had different providers we could never afford to talk as often as we do! Being from the city, I don't worry too much about signals. I love though being able to talk for free to my closest friends.

I didn't get a signal when at WCC, and it was difficult to be cut off from my children...but in the end....the time away was best for us all. Let us all know what you decide desertgirl....always interested in hearing about any good deals.
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 9/6/2005, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All of my family has verizon so I just call there cell phones, as verizon has free in network calling also. Never even call long distance from my home phone.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 9/7/2005, 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

doug wrote:
I have Alltel, and I have had good luck with them.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 9/7/2005, 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You'll probably be very happy with Verizon, if that's your choice. You mentioned though that you travel out of state too. My experience with Cingular has been outstanding, especially since they bought out AT&Ts wireless system. Their coverage is, I believe, the most comprehensive of any carrier. I travel quite frequently to several parts of the country and have had very good reception everywhere I go, with the exception of the wilderness areas of AZ. Just another perspective! Very Happy
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/7/2005, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The choices confound - GSM or CDMA Sad Why can I not have it all -- a cool phone with a reliable voice and connection Question Am I asking for too much Confused ...What I really want is a razr with full PDA ( not there but a Razrberry is being rumored for 2006Q1) that has the reliability/Voice quality of CDMA phone .....Aaarg Twisted Evil

Source: Consumer Reports
GSM --
• Compatible with the networks used by Cingular and T-Mobile.
• Provide more talk time on a battery charge. In our tests, many GSM phones have talk times of five hours or more.
• Do not support analog networks, which may mean spotty coverage if you travel to rural areas. To ensure maximum coverage, look for phones that support both the cellular and PCS digital bands of the GSM network, typically denoted as "850 MHz network compatibility" on the box or in stores..
• Are more device-centric, packing technologies such as Bluetooth and infrared that allow you to beam pictures directly to a printer and synchronize your phone's address book with a computer or PDA.
• Tend to have more innovative designs.
• Are more portable. All of your account information is contained on a single, removable card called a subscriber information module (SIM), which can be easily transferred to a new phone. You can store names and phone numbers on the SIM card, too.
• Can be used in Europe and Asia. GSM is a worldwide standard. If you get a “world phone,” you can use it on wireless networks outside the U.S.
CDMA
• Compatible with the networks used by Verizon and Sprint PCS.
• Provide less talk time on a charge, typically about three or four hours in our tests.
• Tend to have folding-case designs, which, in general, have an edge in voice quality.
• Some provide analog backup for more reliable coverage in rural areas.
• Are more network centric. To move data, such as photos, in or out of the phone, you need a network connection. No CDMA phone supports infrared communication from one device to another. All of the CDMA phones we’ve tested with Bluetooth work only with wireless headsets.
• Operate on a true third-generation (3G) wireless network. A 3G network can trim the time it takes to upload and download files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: