ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
March 22 Barnhardt Trail Hike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 3/24/2003, 10:57 am    Post subject: March 22 Barnhardt Trail Hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

Eleven AzHkrs members met at MacDonalds on Shea near The Beeline highway at 7:30 Saturday morning. Golfdork (aka Hooli) GTG, Mike, Daddee, DennisBench, MtnMan, Paintninaz (with her new pup, Rocky) Grouphiker, Kurthzone, Kristyn, and JmzBlond. Up the Beeline highway to the Trailhead road that was rutted, but in otherwise good condition. Most family sedans could have made the drive with little trouble.
After several group photos we were on the trail. My photos are available at: http://photos.yahoo.com/bodew and Jaimi's at: http://photos.yahoo.com/jmzblond . Not far from the trailhead the first of many small waterfalls was sighted and benefits of recent rain and snow was evident by all the welcome greenery. Before long we came across the first small patches of snow. Snow on the distant Mogollon Rim was clearly seen and small snowmelt streams crossed the trail and at times ran down the trail. About 2.9 miles into the hike we came across a major waterfall that was the highlight of the hike (After Jaimi's "Comment" that is Diablo )
Took some fairly easy climbing to get to the base of the falls where we stopped for photos and a snack. Back on the trail and more snow. Most had melted, but it was clear that there had been heavy snowfall in the recent past. Four miles into the hike and just below 6,000 feet, we came to what appeared to be an abandoned Boy Scout camp with a large and ugly fire ring. Here we stopped for lunch and the first shots were fired in the snowball wars, with many to follow, most initiated by our resident brat, JmzBlond Bang Razz
it was one O'clock and it was decided to head back to the trailhead. On the way the snowball wars continued with Brat....Oops, I mean JmzBlond, being the major aggressor
Silly Stopping briefly we heard a yell for "Help" from behind us and found Grouphiker needing some serious first aid for a bad cut on her lip caused by a fall. A PM from her this a.m. told me she had six stitches in the lip "and some awesome purple badges of courage on my left upper arm and both of my quads" but was otherwise fine, which was good news.
Back at the trailhead we had to wait an interminable amount of time for GTG to show with the keys to the beer Evil or Very Mad but he did eventually show and save us from terrible thirst Beer
It was a gorgeous day with moderate temps making shorts and tees the best uniform of the day.
Thanks to all for making my first return to hiking since Thanksgiving such a great one Very Happy
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
plummer150

PostPosted: 3/24/2003, 12:07 pm    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome pics! Looks to be like a nice turn out for the hike. Sounds like it was interesting. I'll make one of these hikes one of these days.....
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 3/24/2003, 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well said Hooli... loved the hike and the companions were even better!! Has anyone heard from Paintninaz, Mtnman, or Rocky yet??

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/24/2003, 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jmzblond wrote:
Well said Hooli... loved the hike and the companions were even better!! Has anyone heard from Paintninaz, Mtnman, or Rocky yet??

Yes. GTG, Mike and I met them at McDonalds and they ventured over to the Pizza place around the corner with us. Rocky was asleep in the truck.

Here's another description:

Did the Barnhardt Trail with a large group from Arizona Hikers. We all met at the McDonalds at Shea and Beeline, and condensed the passenger to vehicle ratios. The group included, in no particular order: Daddee, GTG, PaintingAZ, Mike1, Mike2, Kristyn, Jamesblond, Grouphiker, DennisBench, Hooli and myself. The trip was astounding. The best way to describe the drive to the trailhead from the highway: a carpet of green accented with bunches of yellow flowers. Off in the distance one could see the Mogollon Rim bright with snow and the peaks in the Mazatzals also were sporting the white stuff. We took the obligatory photos at the trailhead and proceeded up the trail. Before we arrived at the main waterfall we made quite a few stops just to take in the unbelievable beauty of what we were in the midst of. The surrounding terrain was most assuredly alive and green, lacking all of the attributes of our recent drought. The sound of rushing and falling water could be heard throughout the trek and in many areas the trail itself had become a small stream, but it was not too hard to navigate alongside or over. When we made it to the waterfall the adrenaline was beginning to pump. You could here the falling water back through the rocks that concealed it; beckoning one to come in and breath the cool damp air circulating in the chambers below. Once there, the reasons for such an adventure became blatantly clear. It is what I refer to as a "spoonful". Some refer to it as a "Mountain Top Experience". Whatever you want to call it, you can only experience it by being there. The hike up the rest of the canyon was anticlimactic except for the fun of hiking a little in the snow and having a nice peaceful lunch in a nice stand of Ponderosas. There was a mild snowball skirmish between DennisBench, Daddee, Kristin and JamesBlond; not sure who won but noticed some wet apparel amongst the participants. The trek downward was not so good. As the group stopped at a point on the trail to observe something, GTG said he thought he heard someone yelling. We were all quiet listening and GTG yelled, "HELLO!" Almost instantly we heard the reply, "Help!" We turned and headed back up the trail, where after a short distance we found Grouphiker sitting in the middle of the trail. She had fallen and hit her head on a rock; face first. She had a nasty gash in her upper lip, that once cleaned had the appearance of going all the way through and was already swollen. She also had an abraision on her right thigh. At this point we became a triage team and I think we used items from three or four first-aid packages. I was the hands that administered the treatment as those about me gave very good instructions and made excellent recommendations. The first thing we did was have her answer some questions. She seemed to have her wits about her and pupils seemed normal. We then cleansed the wound and applied antiseptic, added a butterfly bandage and taped it down with a long strip of tape. After a short wait Grouphiker assured us that she could make the trek down. Jamesblond stayed close to her on the way down. Later in the evening Grouphiker called me as she drove home from the hospital to tell me she was OK and would be getting the stitches out on Friday. I was most impressed the way the group handled the situation and how prepared they all were. Here are my pics:

http://www.extremezone.com/~kurth/barnhardt/index.html
paintninaz

PostPosted: 3/24/2003, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We all made it!!! Ok

We apparently walked right past y'all at the waterfall, we kept moving trying to keep Rocky from going balistic on the backpackers that were hanging out there and didn't even see that everyone had stopped! Rolling Eyes

We kept hiking Hiking , figuring you guys were all way ahead of us Confused , and looked to meet up with you at Chilson Spring...once we got there, we realized we had lost ya Chin Scratching so we had lunch and then turned around and headed back.
Made for a LONG hike for poor Rocky on his first trip, he was one tired pup! Sleeping but he handled it quite well! Yes Discovered he really likes to follow closely behind someone (which seems to have been the cause of all his barking whenever you guys would take off and start walking...he just wanted to make sure he wasn't getting left behind! Laughing )

We caught up with GTG, Kurthzone, and Mike chowing down on some pizza & sodas on our way home, and stopped and had a soda with them (since you guys drank all the beer and didn't leave any for us! Wink )

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 3/24/2003, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the great trip reports and the pictures, now if we could only get more people writing trip reports.

Grouphiker, hope u get feeling better soon. A good example of why we should always go prepared with the necessary gear.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/25/2003, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great hike with some great people, can't ask for anything more.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: