ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Presidents Day backpack to Reavis Ranch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
evenstar
PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Presidents Day backpack to Reavis Ranch Reply with quote

How about this: Head in to Reavis Ranch Saturday morning; those who choose can make it an in and out day hike; others camp Saturday night, hiking out Sunday; and then those who choose can camp both Saturday and Sunday nights, hiking out Monday.
I'd like to give it a shot, but am definately a greenhorn having done only one other backpack, the one with GTG and Kurthzone to BA Campground last October. Any others interested?

srlatty

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about Bo. You just went through a bad time not long ago, you don't deserve to have it happen again this soon! My other concern is about you! My understanding is that humans can contract Lepto from animals. It's passed along in body fluids, specifically urine I believe. If it comes in contact with open wounds, you can become infected. If you're like me, you always have nicks, cuts or scrapes on your hands. Cleaning up after your dog is the perfect time for the disease to be transmitted. Be careful! Keep us informed.....
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/25/2003, 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks steve, Will do.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh man, thats awful. PLEASE let us know what the test results reveal. I will say a little prayer for both of you... Bo for comfort and full, quick recovery... You for comfort and strength.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would be interested -- Possibly 1 & may be 2 people. Are pets welcome ? Just had to ask...
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hope everything turns out ok Hooli!
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/28/2003, 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the good thoughts; test results not in yet, but Dew (Bo's littermate/sister) and I are both on antibiotics just as a precaution.

Quote:

Are pets welcome ? Just had to ask...

Fritzski takes Rusty, his Jack Russel Terrier, with him on many of his hikes in the Supes so don't think there's any problem with it.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
Hopalong

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hooli - sorry to hear about Bo. Taking my dog to vet today and wonders of all wonders - after 2 1/2 yrs my daughter is finally taking her dog back. Ah well, ya know I love him. Anyhow, hope tests come back negative and hope you get to go on this hike. I missed seeing ya at the last one.

Now, could someone please post the plans and stats on this hike.
How far is it? (Hoping you pick the Rogers Canyon way)
How many days are ya all planning on staying?
Is there room for one more?
Are ya for sure going to see Circlerock thing?? How far is that from basecamp?
Do you have a basic equipment list for us new to backpacking?
So, I guess llamas are out Crying or Very sad but dogs are in - right?

Thx, Kelly
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, Doofus Crazy &Goofus Crazy aka GTG and Mike, have had the good sense to make me a moderator Beer

One task a moderator might be faced with is keeping Hooli in line Very Happy

Anybody see a conflict here Question Nah, I didn't think so either Amazed

Well, anyway, I appreciate all the thoughts about Bo, but we're way off topic Yes

So let's keep all future posts about the little dude in the "Off-Trail Area" under "Hooli's Updates on Bo" and keep this about the Presidents day hike to Reavis Ranch.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:05 am    Post subject: Reavis Hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Trail in to Reavis from Rogers Trough is about 7 miles. The first section is downhill to the junction of the Reavis and Rogers Canyon Trails, then an invigorating uphill to a saddle that I think is called Reavis Saddle (no truth to the rumor that Elisha Reavis took his own life along this trail-where he is buried- to avoid climbing up this hill one more time). From the saddle the trail is relatively level all the way to the ranch. Excellent camp sites exist along Reavis Creek from the Fireline Trail 1/3 mile south of the ranch to the Reavis Gap Trail about 1 mile north of the ranch.

Circlestone is on an "unofficial" trail off the Fireline Trail and is about 2 miles from the actual ranch building ruins. A three day hike to Reavis consisting of a day in and a day out with a middle day for exploring the Reavis Creek and Circlestone areas is a very nice trip. Another option for those who must continue to push forward at all times, is to hike a loop, in to Reavis day one, north to the Frog Springs Trail and south/west to Frog Springs, Fish creek, and Angel Basin (near the Rogers Canyon cliff dwelling) on day two, and out to Rogers Trough day three.

The now out of print Superstitions hiking guide book by Dick and Sharon Nelson incorrectly spells the name Reevis, as do some old maps. Most of us, by habit, still pronounce the name "Reevis" but it is actually "Revis" rhyming with crevice. I verified this with family decendants a number of years back, after stumbling across a family geneology website while looking for info on Elisha.

I assume those interested in this hike are still looking at the 15-17 weekend. We'd be interested...and I could share backpacking skills with Hoolie, if I can catch him..... Sweat -R
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What type of vehicle is needed to access the TH?
mike t

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay. It's official. I'm able to go for sure. I too vote for the Roger's TH. I have a 4wd forerunner and can haul people or gear (or limited amounts of both). Desert Dweller offered up a truck earlier in the thread. Maybe we can team up for optimum gear/people hauling. I also went back through the thread to add up all who have expressed interest. It adds up to 18 if everybody goes including 2 with Desertgirl. I presumed ck1 as out due to marathon training. (correct me if I presume too much ck) Maybe we can start nailing down a "for sure" list. This is starting to sound like fun.
mike t

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kristyn, the road sounds pretty reasonable. CatValet authored a thread under road conditions soliciting info with some informative responses. Check it out.

mike t
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Recommend fairly high clearance vehicle, but 4x4 is not needed. If I'm able to make it I have Jeep Wrangler that can hold two with gear.
Kristyn

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, if anyone plans to make this a day trip and has a high clearance vehicle, count me in, otherwise I will not be able to make this.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 1/29/2003, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will be needing high clearance transportation to make this hike...My toy sits too low even for speed bumps Sad Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: