ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Presidents Day backpack to Reavis Ranch
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Presidents Day backpack to Reavis Ranch Reply to topic Reply with quote

How about this: Head in to Reavis Ranch Saturday morning; those who choose can make it an in and out day hike; others camp Saturday night, hiking out Sunday; and then those who choose can camp both Saturday and Sunday nights, hiking out Monday.
I'd like to give it a shot, but am definately a greenhorn having done only one other backpack, the one with GTG and Kurthzone to BA Campground last October. Any others interested?
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Presidents Day backpack to Reavis Ranch Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Any others interested?

Oh heck yeah! When is President's Day anyway? Which way would you want to get there, north from the Apache lake side on Trail 109, or from Roger's Trough on the south?

-Nealz

Addendum: I just looked up President's Day and it's Monday, February 17th.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It'd be the three day weekend of Feb. 22, 23 & 24. And I was thinking from Roger's trough 'cause that's the only one I'm familiar with....like I said, I'm a greenhorn Embarassed when it comes to backpacking and camping; I have all the equipment, just not the experience. Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm interested, but I can't commit yet. I don't know what I have going on yet - but I am definitely interested.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/6/2003, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang, I thought I had an old trip report for a Reavis, Circlestone Ruin, Angle Basin trip. If you do it, be sure to go see Circlestone. I'll keep looking for the report.
mike t

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Like Dadee, I'm interested, but don't have the work schedule secured yet. As a side note, my calender has Prez Day as Mon 2/17 and Sat 2/22 as Washington's B-Day. That could make a difference to some. As a holder of one of those cushy "guvmint" jobs, Prez's day is a paid holiday for me, while the other is not. Just a thought. For myself, it doesn't matter too much, as I work 12hr shifts and get lots of oddball days off. It's more just a matter of getting the particular weekend off.
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

my calender has Prez Day as Mon 2/17

Oops, You're right; I was lookin' it up on the SI Swimsuit Calendar my daughter, of all people, gave me for Christmas and got distracted for some reason Embarassed prez day is observed 2/17. So that moves everything to the 15th, 16th and 17th.
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
So that moves everything to the 15th, 16th and 17th.

Well that'll hopefully work for me. Rogers Trough TH is dandy too. And a sidetrip to Circlestone, time permitting, is a great idea. I had written a Circlestone trip description and pix on the old site but I didn't save it myself. I could dig out the pix and muddle my way through another description I reckon. It's definitely worth the effort.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'greenhorn' status to Reavis. Rogers Trough is the shorter but steeper access and Reavis Trail, #109, is the longer but easier route. After any Canyon hike, Reavis will be a cinch.

Both options offer great views and interesting sites. Rogers Trough passes Ol' Man Reavis' grave just off the trail and #109 passes the spur trail to Reavis Falls and Castle Dome.

If we get more rain sometime soon, Reavis Falls is an excellent all-day hike trip too.

-Nealz
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope to be doing a 4-5 day Club Cabin trip that weekend, but enjoy.

Good idea about Reavis Falls, if it ever rains again.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aw...not fair! You guys actually get that holiday off????

I had wanted to do that hike too... Sad , but that weekend just won't work for me (never mind that I don't get the holiday off Mad )...

Oh well, enjoy! And a full report is expected Feb. 18th!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
overrocked

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 3:58 pm    Post subject: reavis Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, I just did that hike Dec 21,22. It just about killed me though...I did the long hike, I don't think I could hack the shorter, harder one. *hint* There were a lot of maple ? cottonwood? leaves where the 2 trails meet. They sure would make a nice bed even better. I got there late, and had to set up in the dark.I started at noon. (solitaire flashlight is ok, but not good enough to go hiking around in the dark) Since it snowed Surprised , I didn't have to look for the creek, I just melted 70 oz of snow!!! I would take 100 oz next time, instead of 70. Maybe my knee will be good enough to go again by then....I sure would like to find Circlestone next time.
srlatty

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

I was lookin' it up on the SI Swimsuit Calendar my daughter, of all people, gave me for Christmas and got distracted for some reason

And I thought you were supposed to be packing for a trip Embarassed
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/7/2003, 10:28 pm    Post subject: count me in and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be in for this trip. I definetely want to make the Circlestone trip. I've got an interesting feature about the fish pond I'll show everyone too.

GTG
evenstar

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

srlatty wrote:
And I thought you were supposed to be packing for a trip Embarassed

Yeah, that's what I should be doin' 'stead of messin' round on the porridge, pumpkin site.

If I don't have the motorhome packed by the time I'm supposed to leave Friday morning it's all GTG and Mike's fault Evil or Very Mad
Nealz

PostPosted: 1/8/2003, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Reavis Ranch is in the Superstition Mountain Wilderness so the same 15-person max party rules are in effect. I don't think we're there yet tho. My personal favorite campsites are either south of the ranch site proper up in the pines, and there are a couple of gooduns' north near the spring.

One time we camped at the spring and shared the site with a bunch that came in with llamas. Llamas reek worse than ferrets, but I imagine I wasn't too fragrant either.

-Nealz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: