ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Something that I’ve never seen before

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirt Dog

PostPosted: 8/5/2005, 5:45 pm    Post subject: Something that I’ve never seen before Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just saw something that I’ve never seen before; off to the east a single cloud was pouring rain, really! It looked like a water fall from the bottom of the cloud to the ground. It was a vertical river that was snaking one way then another as it fell. I would have not wanted to be under that. It looked like it was over to the south of Gold Canyon and south east from Apache Junction. Did anyone else in this area see it?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/5/2005, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If that was this afternoon, I had another view of it. I live in Gold Canyon and watched a thunderhead set sail from Iron Mtn. It lumbered toward my home and after passing the Dons Camp headed due south towards US 60 then west. No rain at my place, several bolts of lightning to stir things up in the neigborhood though.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 8/6/2005, 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I also saw this as I was driving east on Brown Road on my way home from work yesterday. Hit about 5 mins of heavy rain near Ellsworth/Crismon.....then got into AJ and nothing! It was pretty strange.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Dirt Dog

PostPosted: 8/6/2005, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was south of 60 when I saw it, and that was about 4:30. I was on my way somewhere else so I watched it for about a minute was all, and didn’t see any signs of rain here in AJ when I returned. I think that we all saw the same cell. I’ve seen rain drops that would cover about 2” across on the ground and hail bigger then my fist, but that to me was amazing.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 8/7/2005, 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's such a weird thing about Arizona....it can be raining in your neighborhood and dry two blocks away! I didn't see that cloud, but have seen similar..really strange! Back In Pa. when it rains in one place, it rains everywhere!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: