ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Weekly Hike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Weekly Hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was considering organizing, or at least offering up the idea, of a weekly hike. Here's what I was thinking....

Weekday early evening/post work...say around 4:30/5:00?

Somewhere centrally located...say Squaw or South Mtn (or other)...

Regularly scheduled...like every Thursday...

That way, there's no planning involved each week...it's just show up and hike...if there's 10 people, 4 people, or just you...if you wanted to hike, you do it...

Any thoughts?

"The Journey is the Destination"
Daryl

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good Idea.

I try to hike to Siphon draw or up to wind cave every friday after work about 3:30.
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good idea - but I don't think it will last for very long as a consistent item. The primary way to make an activity like that become a long-term fixture is to make sure that at least one person will be dedicated to doing it every week, and that they will remind people of it periodically for, basically, as long as you want the activity to go on.

I've tried stuff like this in different areas of social interaction/activity for years, the longest I've ever been able to sustain a large-group weekly "come-if-you-can" activity was 8 weeks. The whole thing just sort of imploded after 6 and I kept trying for an additiona 2 weeks before I terminated it. My average length of time was only 5 weeks.

I'm not saying don't try - I'm just saying not to expect too much. Especially once summer rolls around.

I would likely attend once every few weeks though.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That does sound pretty neat if my job complies.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I lead a weelky hike every Sunday morning at Thunderbird Park H3 or H2 as part of a hiking ministry at the church I attend. About 50% of the time I do the hike alone. But I am there every week for those who see it on the web site or read about it in the bulletin. I enjoy it and have been doing it for about six months now. I beleieve some of the trip logs are posted on HAZ.
Patches

PostPosted: 3/18/2003, 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
I lead a weelky hike every Sunday morning at Thunderbird Park H3 or H2 as part of a hiking ministry at the church I attend. About 50% of the time I do the hike alone. But I am there every week for those who see it on the web site or read about it in the bulletin. I enjoy it and have been doing it for about six months now. I beleieve some of the trip logs are posted on HAZ.
"Weelky hike every Sunday morning at Thunderbird Park" What time and where do you meet? I live near there and would like to join your group - Thanks! Patches
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/18/2003, 9:00 am    Post subject: Sunday Hike Reply to topic Reply with quote

We meet in the north parking lot right off of the entrance to the park at 7:00AM every Sunday. Be glad to see you there.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/18/2003, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

how long are you ussually there?

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/18/2003, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
how long are you ussually there?

If you're asking me that, I would say about an hour and fifteen minutes.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/18/2003, 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinkin of meeting you one of these weeks at thunderbird park, then I remembered that i would not have the time to take a shower before church.

kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 3/18/2003, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Cleaning up Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
I was thinkin of meeting you one of these weeks at thunderbird park, then I remembered that i would not have the time to take a shower before church.

You could always join me after the hike at the "Church of the Dirty and Unbathed" where you may or may not get cleansed, or you could opt to wait until April when the hike start time shifts to 6:00 AM. (I think, I'll have to double check). Either way would be glad to have you along.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/20/2003, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Going back to CK1 origanal subject...If you wanted to do a late hike on squaw peak like on thursday or something I can do that next week. I get off at 3:00, so if you wanted to do something about 4:03ish or 5:00ish. As far as south mountain goes, thats a little too far for me. I'm up in North Phoenix.

ck1

PostPosted: 4/1/2003, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, sorry I kinda dropped the ball on this one...life kinda got in the way for a bit...so here's what I'm thinking.....we have a steady stream of visitors from back east from now until the 2nd week in june. I think we have about 10 days without guests between now and then, so my availability is questionable...but...

Starting in June, I'll start posting a weekly, mid week hike.....yes it will be hot....suck it up....those interested can join in the fun...

If someone would like to carry the ball between now and June, that'd be just swell...

"The Journey is the Destination"

PostPosted: 4/2/2003, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

suck it up
Colin, you summed it up nicely!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 4/2/2003, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried doin a hike late in the afternoon when it was 106 and I thot I was going to DIE!!! Wacko I felt so horrible. I will never do that again. No

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: