ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
WFW III - August 5-7, 2005
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 7:16 pm    Post subject: WFW III - August 5-7, 2005 Reply to topic Reply with quote

What is it: The West Fork Wade is a canyoneering adventure which begins at the top of the rim and follows the West Fork of Oak Creek 14 miles to the trailhead at Call of the Canyon. There is a possibility it will require some short swims (hopefully), but there is no technical climbing required. This year may be interesting due to the flooding that occurred over the past Winter. It will definitely be a different hike compared to the past two years. I know I'm pretty stoked about it. WFW III here we come! This will be our third annual trek!

An alternative hike will also be available, which is the normal out and back beginning at Call of the Canyon. This optional hike can be extended beyond the "get your feet wet" point, which is about 3 miles in. This will be the end-point of the main WFW "day-hike". Those who can make sure that a few 'cold ones' are available at the end of the trek will be GREATLY appreciated. You will really like that end of the canyon for sure.

The Plan: We will be rising early on Saturday morning to make the drop-in point early enough for a dusk exit at Call of the Canyon. Figure around 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. wake-up. We should hit the road for the drop-off by 7:00 a.m. If the weather looks too threatening for the top-down hike, a decision will be made whether to call the main hike, or not. Plan B will be to start the hike from the bottom, and see how far we can get before turning around. The shuttle situation will be finalized on Friday night or Sat morn.

Campsite: The plan this year is to fore-go the established campground, and set up just North of I40 and exit 190. Directions: From Flagstaff, take I-40 W west about 5 miles to exit 190, A-1 Mountain Road. Go right at the stop sign onto FR 506. You'll pass by a to-be-built subdivision on the left. From where the road turns to dirt at a cattle guard (about 1/4 mile from the interstate), go 0.9 miles to a turnoff for the camping area on the left. The road is fine for low-clearance vehicles.

Directions to Call o' the Canyon - Take 89A south 17.5 miles south from Flagstaff or north 9.5 miles from Sedona to about halfway between milepost 385 and 384. Located on West side of 89A.

Directions to hike drop off - Take I-40 to exit 191 (Bus 40). Take a right and head East to Woody Mountain road (FR 231). Take that South about 15 miles to the bridge spanning Oak Creek. There is room to park a few vehicles if necessary. Gravel road, and low-clearance okay.

What to bring: Pack light and waterproof everything the best you can. It will be wet with cold pools, wet, possibly warm at times, wet, a long day, wet... so pack accordingly.

Please post as to whether or not you will be joining the group on Friday night, or not. We will be hitting our favorite carb spot Bun-Huggers for the Friday night carb feast at 7:00 p.m. We will then retire to our 'abodes' back at the campsite.

Dinner on Saturday night will be some BBQ hot dogs, brats, and such.

HikerInGilbert - dogs and brats
Sherileeaz - taco salad, dogs, buns, chips, and chopped onions
Paintninaz - potato salad
Hikngrl - some dessert, brat toppings
si-na-ti - bottled water, various soda and beer
Davis2001R6 - dogs and buns, toppings
kurthzone - paper plates, napkins, plastic ware and assorted buns
outside1 - chips and buns
Azhiker96 - melons
Hooli - mustards and kraut
oriole_scott - veggie dogs and dessert
wanderingsoul - pasta salad

Please PM me if you need any other info, or have any concerns.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 7:24 pm    Post subject: me too and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in for for the whole shooting match. Friday night camping though the breakfast at The Place on Sunday. I'm looking forward to this. Get in here y'all.

GTG
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in for the whole shootin' match as long as the campsite has room for the Hoolimobile to dry camp.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Multi I'm in! I'm in! Multi

I can't wait for this one! I think you are right Tom, I think it is gonna be a different hike this year! I will be there reasonably early on Friday and stay through the whole thing! I would of course like to meet with the earliest of the drivers from the valley so I can caravan up there with some one. With the new camp site and all I don't know about finding it on my own!

I want to shine!
doug

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to work that weekend, hope you all have a good time.
chihiggs

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 7:43 am    Post subject: WFW III Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey everyone!!

That weekend is the end my first week of school with the students back.... I would like to do this hike as I have not yet but can not solidly commit. If I can go, I would arrive late Firday night and stay till Sunday morning.

Sorry for the wishy washy crap but can not say for sure....I am starting in a school district new to me and do not know what may be needed/expected that first weekend. Chin Scratching

Here's to hope!!! Multi Jumping Multi
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
I'm in for the whole shootin' match as long as the campsite has room for the Hoolimobile to dry camp.

We'll make sure there's a spot for the HM. There are tons of good camping spots along that road.

I'm going to check with Scott to see if he can run recon a little sooner than I can. That way we can have a firmer plan sooner.
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HikerInGilbert wrote:
evenstar wrote:

We'll make sure there's a spot for the HM. There are tons of good camping spots along that road.

Thanks! I take back one of these Moon (But only one; wouldn't want to send you into shock!)
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
ck1

PostPosted: 7/17/2005, 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be there...as will Tony, our buddy Bill who just moved out here, and my brother who is flying in from Illinois to do this hike...we can't wait!

"The Journey is the Destination"
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/17/2005, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm out again this year. Our son's birthday is the 9th. We're having a birthday party for him on the 6th. There's no way in the world I'd miss that. Hope y'all have a great time, can't wait to hear about it and see the pictures.

Maybe next year...
AZ-Outdoorsman

PostPosted: 7/17/2005, 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Susan and I are in for the 12-mile through hike. We will probably stay in Flag on Friday night, meeting you all for dinner. Saturday morning we will drive to meet you all at the campsite. How is the shuttle going to work to get us all back to the campsite? We will drive back to Phx after visiting at the campsite on Saturday night. Are we going out to dinner in the Oak Creek area after coming out or is everyone waiting to eat until getting back to camp? I am looking forward to this adventure, one I have been wanting to do for some time. Thanks for organizing it Tom : )
- Darrell
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It figures the 'newbie' would have all the questions... Wink

The past couple of years, there has been a pretty decent sized support crew to meet us COTC. Now that we have a list building, I'll be addressing that soon. Shuttle vehicles will be waiting one way, or another.

Saturday night dinner is going to be a matter of preference. We'll see what is decided this week.

PM me if you need any more details.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In the past we have eaten at camp after the hike and will most likely do so yet again this year specially since we will have an area to our selves. Much more fun than dealing with a bunch of people when we are smelly from the hike....

Haven't seen you in ages Darrell! It will be fun to hike with you again! And heaven knows hiking with Suz is always a great time!

You will like this hike Darrell I am sure... it is one of my very favorites! This is the hike that turned me into a canyoneering junky!

I want to shine!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be there Friday through Sunday!! Mr. Green

Cookout at the campsite on Sat. sounds good to me!

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
AZ-Outdoorsman

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Haven't seen you in ages Darrell! It will be fun to hike with you again! And heaven knows hiking with Suz is always a great time!

Thanks Diane, I am looking forward to hiking with some of the group from Haunted Canyon and meeting some new ones too. I met JW on Saturday, as he went on an adventure I led through Wet Beaver Creek (Waldroup Canyon to the Bell TH). Susan is excited about this hike, she is turning into quite the water-hiker.

I'll see some of you on Saturday night Very Happy

Darrell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: