ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Fire in Santa Ritas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/8/2005, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Fire in Santa Ritas Reply to topic Reply with quote

On DUSA, a poster reported a fire at the Florida Saddle in the Santa Ritas, is apparently heading down the Gardener Canyon/ Cave Canyon section.
That area is kinda pretty, hope it doesn't toast it all.

Florida Canyon trail is closed.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does not appear the forest service is quite active in putting it out, perhaps another fire meeting the objective of "range management".
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm heartbroken about this fire since it's occuring in one of the more active birding and wildlife areas in southern AZ. After my visit to Madera Canyon in early June (and plans to return in September) this has become a special place for me. From the latest updates 20,000 acres have burned and it's 40% contained. Here's a link to the stats and maps:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/florida/

There are many trail closures listed on this website too. Let's hope they can get it under control before it completely torches into Madera Canyon.

Crying or Very sad

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some more info about the fire, and the actions being taken. Hope they can get it under control.

This year is really bumming me out in a major way for some reason.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0716wildfire16.html
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG~~~thanks for posting your sources from AZ Central. And yes, it's a bummer to have this area burned out. I was planning on hiking to the summit of Wrightsons in September but guess I may have to re-think my trip. They've managed to keep it out of Madera Canyon so far, but all the trails leading up the east side are toast Sad Bogs Springs, Dutch John, Florida.......I'm sure that the Super Trail and Old Baldy were also affected.

I'm thinking of the ecosystem and all the birds that migrate to this area and what they are going to do? Not to mention that this is black bear & bobcat country.

Sad

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/17/2005, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The fire is now in Madera Canyon, does not look good.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/4/2005, 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have not been able to find out how bad Madera Canyon was hurt, anyone know ?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 8/4/2005, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There's info on the Coronado N'tl Forest website that states 23,183 acres are burned, 78% burned low severity(about 18,000 acres) and 22% burned moderate-severe (about 5,100 acres).

Now I spoke with Lyle Collister, one of the owners of the Santa Rita Lodge, who told me that when you drive into the Canyon you can't notice the fire except for some back-burned areas on the east side and also some noticeable burned areas high up near Wrightson. She said there was also still lots of green and the wildlife is still around! The canyon was pretty much saved although most of the trails leading to Wrightson are closed and probably will be for some time. I'll be heading there in September and will be sure to get pictures to compare to the ones I took in early June.

The NFS website also has a list of closed trails but it's interesting that the Super Trail and Old Baldy aren't listed. I've written to the NFS and asked about these trails but haven't heard anything back yet.

Closed trails:
Florida #145
Cave Creek #149
Sawmill Canyon #146
Crest #144 from Super Trail north
Bog Springs #156
Dutch John #4862
Gardner #143
Four Springs
Greaterville #79
Walker Basin #136
Arizona Trail from Walker Basin to Box Canyon Road (FSR 62)
Kent Springs

Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/4/2005, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, was planning on visiting the area before in late August or Sept. My Sept. will have to change as I was informed my time off request was turned down. Not sure now on Aug, folks want to visit the area below the rim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: