ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Smoke and smell in my neighborhood!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 6:33 am    Post subject: Smoke and smell in my neighborhood! Reply to topic Reply with quote

What fire would that be from....?I smelled it as soon as I walked out the door this am! And the smoke is hangining heavy in the air to the west of me.

I want to shine!
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know where you live, but there was a fire yesterday at 311th Ave & Indian School Road in Buckeye. They evacuated about 100 houses and it burned a couple of hundred acres before it was contained.
Daryl

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Was pretty thick at Higley and McDowell this morning too.
What box?

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane, I would imagine your smoke is probably from the Cave Creek Complex fire. The air is heavy with it here in Scottsdale, too. As soon as I opened the door to leave for work this morning, I noticed the smell.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Smoke and smell in my neighborhood! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
What fire would that be from....?I smelled it as soon as I walked out the door this am! And the smoke is hangining heavy in the air to the west of me.

al1inaz wrote:
I don't know where you live, but there was a fire yesterday at 311th Ave & Indian School Road in Buckeye. They evacuated about 100 houses and it burned a couple of hundred acres before it was contained.

It was this fire. I saw all the smoke on my ride home yesterday and the wind coming from the west last night put it right in our respective neighborhoods. I could smell it this morning big time.

As I made the final stretch home I could see the Cave Creek - Complex Fire off in the distance. It looked like a volcano erupting with the smoke trailing off to the northeast. In the morning the winds shift and come out of the east, but I'm sure the smoke was from the fire out past the white tanks, not as big but certainly close and smokey!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Diane, I was up in the Phoenix area doing a bunch of mapping today. We could see the huge plume up north and the smoke filtering down. When we were over Scottsdale we could smell woodsmoke. It is the Cave Creek burn.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well now there is a fire in a river bed in buckeye. saw it from the beginning while on the flight-line today.
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It has cleared up now, but at noon it was hazy and I could smell smoke in the air.. Come on monsoons!
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
It has cleared up now, but at noon it was hazy and I could smell smoke in the air.. Come on monsoons!
my fingers are crossed
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:

Well now there is a fire in a river bed in buckeye. saw it from the beginning while on the flight-line today.

That big thick cloud of smoke hanging over the Valley this afternoon is from the fire in Buckeye, the Buck Fire. It's burning in the Gila River bed. According to KTAR, the river bed is thick with salt cedar, which burns very fast and hot, and produces thick black smoke. It's at 150 acres.

There's also a new fire burning out in the Goldfields, called the Ghost Fire. It's small, only about 5 acres. I'm not sure where in the Goldfieds it is, maybe some of the East Valley members can fill us in.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I noted the fire in the Goldfields while heading home this afternoon. As you head out to the First Water Trailhead the Goldfields are west of Apache Trail and extend west and merge with the Usery Mtns.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I also saw the smoke from the Ghost fire on my way home from work. Only thing I heard was the same as Mike noted.....its about 5-10 acres but the smoke plume is very apparent from my patio in AJ. As Nighthiker posted, it's on the west side of highway 88 on the way to Canyon Lake but I wasn't able to find anything about it on the 'net or even the Tonto National Forest webpage.

We smelled smoke this morning at my office in Mesa (Just south of the 202 at Country Club) this morning from wildfires too....I'm guessing from the Cave Creek fire.

I'm hoping the monsoons get here soon too!

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
....I'm guessing from the Cave Creek fire.

Mine was a guess as well Trish. The smoke was so encompassing that you could see a big plume to the north from over Scottsdale but everything was so obscured up that way that the smoke could be coming from various sources. From Goodyear it was all a haze to the north. The city itself was not too bad though. I had my head in my work banging on the computer, going over flight plans, aquiring the sites, photographing them and dealing with air traffic control so my actual observations of the fires was minimal. I have seen smoke blow for hundreds of miles and stay concentrated enough to cause a real overcast.

Would love some relief.
oriole_scott

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The smoke was bad up north this morning, too. Coming up to Red Butte on 64 (just south of the Canyon), you could see an opaque band of smoke at ground level stretching off to the north, east, and west. I figured there must have been a fire close by, but once the wind picked up it all blew away. Later, I saw in the local paper that the smoke was from the Cave Creek fire...
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/29/2005, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On the way home from Willow Valley this evening there was a huge band of fire on the northern side of the free way several miles off the freeway. I didn't notice it this morning so it kinda freaked me out. You could see flames the further east you got.

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: